Dressing conservatively in Mediteranean Ports?

lesliehr

On our last cruise, this spring, we had many ports where it was going to be hot hot hot, and we were also required to be covered basically all the time.

For the first time on excursions, I tried wearing long, lightweight skirts (with mesh shorts underneath for pockets). I loved it! Very comfortable & cool, and no worries about being covered.

I wore my regular colored V-neck tee shirts and carried a pashmina to cover my head & neck when needed.

I wore my walking shoes with anklet socks.

I actually preferred the skirts to my capris, which I usually wear on excursions. Much more comfortable and quite cool.

(It also made it much easier to use the bathrooms, especially in countries that have the squatty potties rather than western style.)

Hi all,

Making my packing list for my first Mediteranean cruise...and I have questions.

I know that when we visit the Vatican, I must have my shoulders covered and no shorts. What about when visiting the Colosseum and Forum? Is it necessary to dress conservatively for other areas in Rome?

Does the same go for Istanbul and Ephesus? I know we will be visiting mosques, churches, etc...but it's going to be so darn hot....I don't want to be disrespectful...but have I mentioned how darn hot it will be?

Same request for Santorini, Mykonos, and Athens....also Naples. In most ports, we will be visiting the highlights.

Thanks so much for your help.

Debbie

At the Forum and Colosseum as well as the Acropolis and Pompei we wore (more or less) knee length cargo shorts and t shirts (without logos and such). Everywhere else we wore linen or lightweight cotton slacks or sometimes I wore a long skirt, and we wore collared shirts with sleeves.

Wear linen and you'll stay cool, even in pants.

Edited by ducklite

On our last cruise, this spring, we had many ports where it was going to be hot hot hot, and we were also required to be covered basically all the time.

For the first time on excursions, I tried wearing long, lightweight skirts (with mesh shorts underneath for pockets). I loved it! Very comfortable & cool, and no worries about being covered.

I wore my regular colored V-neck tee shirts and carried a pashmina to cover my head & neck when needed.

I wore my walking shoes with anklet socks.

I actually preferred the skirts to my capris, which I usually wear on excursions. Much more comfortable and quite cool.

(It also made it much easier to use the bathrooms, especially in countries that have the squatty potties rather than western style.)

Perfect. :)

At the Forum and Colosseum as well as the Acropolis and Pompei we wore (more or less) knee length cargo shorts and t shirts (without logos and such). Everywhere else we wore linen or lightweight cotton slacks or sometimes I wore a long skirt, and we wore collared shirts with sleeves.

Wear linen and you'll stay cool, even in pants.

Unfortunately, not me. Linen makes me feel hotter and itchy. I'm also hot in silk, which I know is strange for both fabrics. Can't wear wool either, or some rayons, so I guess I am just strange.

I love the idea of wearing these more natural fabrics, just can't do it.

Unfortunately, not me. Linen makes me feel hotter and itchy. I'm also hot in silk, which I know is strange for both fabrics. Can't wear wool either, or some rayons, so I guess I am just strange.

You are not strange. We all have our likes and dislikes...we all feel

comfortable in differen materials. There are many gals who prefer to

travel and sightsee in dresses. I prefer shorts/capris. It doesn't make

either person strange;)

Lightweight cottons then. I find silk to be quite warm, and don't really wear it in the summer.

Lightweight cottons then. I find silk to be quite warm, and don't really wear it in the summer.

Cotton is my go-to fabric for sure, as well as some synthetics/blends. I just like the idea of natural fabrics like linen and silk, even if I can't wear them.

Thank you ladies! Took a ride to Annie-Sez this afternoon and picked up my first maxi skirt. Never owned one before, but it was cute! Should be perfect for my trip. Thanks again!

Debbie

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I find silk very hot as well, and also can't wear wool.

But I'm OK in linen, thank goodness.

Cotton is my go-to fabric for sure, as well as some synthetics/blends. I just like the idea of natural fabrics like linen and silk, even if I can't wear them.

I LOVE cotton too:D

I love natural fabrics as well, and they're well represented in my closet, but when I travel - esp hot and/or humid areas - technical fabrics are heaven sent. They wick sweat, and dry quickly when I wash them in the sink before dinner:p

I'm happy it's so much easier to find technical fabrics made into clothing that doesn't look like you're heading to the gym or up the mountain. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's a little difficult to carry off at work, even though I do have a fairly casual environment;) And since I prefer to have a single wardrobe - useful at home and on the road - I want items that work in a flexible way.

I love natural fabrics as well, and they're well represented in my closet, but when I travel - esp hot and/or humid areas - technical fabrics are heaven sent. They wick sweat, and dry quickly when I wash them in the sink before dinner:p

I'm happy it's so much easier to find technical fabrics made into clothing that doesn't look like you're heading to the gym or up the mountain. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's a little difficult to carry off at work, even though I do have a fairly casual environment;) And since I prefer to have a single wardrobe - useful at home and on the road - I want items that work in a flexible way.

Do these technical fabrics have a name? I see clothing in stores that say they wick away moisture, etc., but they look like they'd be hot. I'd love to try some that actually work, but I'm leery of claims like this. Guess I should just break down and buy some. If you can recommend brands, that would be great.

Do these technical fabrics have a name? I see clothing in stores that say they wick away moisture, etc., but they look like they'd be hot. I'd love to try some that actually work, but I'm leery of claims like this. Guess I should just break down and buy some. If you can recommend brands, that would be great.

Brands have their own names for their products, and they're all man-made, so I use the term "technical fabric" to apply to all. I've said for many years "this isn't your grandmother's polyester" - they're all manmade but there are SO MANY differences & options among manmade fabrics. What you want depends on your needs.

My husband loves Nike dri-fit t-shirts for work (he does a lot of work outdoors as he owns 40 rental properties and a manufacturing company). Adidas, Puma, UnderArmour - heck, even Costco - all have wicking fabric t-shirts. He only welds in natural fabrics though!!!

We both love Uniqlo Heat-Tech t-shirts for winter. I have some heat tech tights that are very warm as well. He has some airism t-shirts for summer (also from Uniqlo) and says they're nice but he likes the Nike better. I like Uniqlo because there are NO logoes on the outside and you can wear them like any plain tee without looking like you're headed for the gym.

"Outdoor" clothing brands like Columbia, REI, North Face etc all have various pieces of clothing in technical fabric - for summer or winter - to wick sweat, resist water, have a high UPF, repel bugs etc. Slidergirl who posts here regularly loves Athleta clothing but it's not quite my style, but they also have technical fabric options.

Sierra Trading Post (website, frequent discounts on their facebook page) has multiple brands with nice options.

(there are several threads just on this topic with ideas & options)

Wow, thanks for all the great ideas. I will try some that are available locally, probably starting with tank tops since that's what I wear most to exercise, and end up washing by hand on cruises.

Target and Walmart brands ok, do you think? (We are far from most more 'upscale' stores, and my luck with buying online has not been good due to fit.) I can probably find Nike, though.

C9 at Target gets better reviews than Danskin at Walmart. I've owned both, and actually while I find them ok for exercise, don't love them for travel. I think it's the cut (talking about tanks now). But absolutely a fine place to start to see if you even like that sort of fabric!

(Do you have a Kohls nearby? I've just noticed they have some skorts & dresses in their Athletic wear section - a couple are similar to Athleta dresses but half the price. No idea the quality - of either brand. http://www.kohls.com/catalog/womens-active-dresses-bottoms-clothing.jsp?CN=4294720878+4294737782+4294719461+4294719807+4294719810&N=4294719810+4294719462+4294719807+4294719511+4294720878+4294737782+4294719461&icid=acse|ses9 )

I've had pretty decent luck for "cuter" clothing in golf departments (and the Izod outlet, and thrift stores!) But it helps that my style is preppy, and I'm short, so a golf skirt doesn't look too short on me.

Edited by Hoyaheel

Yes, I'm the Athleta Girl. And, I'm on the other side of 50. Their cut just fits my body. For summer, I live in the "burnout" Ts that I have from Athleta, Prana and The North Face. Great patterns and very light fabric. I have a couple of tanks/sleeveless shirts from Ex Officio. I have a few pairs of pants from Athleta that work great when I travel (I don't wear shorts unless I'm at a resort or beach).

Title Nine is another site with some good technical fabric clothing.

I lived for a few years in a Moslem country and have traveled in others, as well as extensively in Europe. My traveling outfits almost always consisted of light-weight "broomstick" skirts and light scoop-neck t-shirts with sleeves near to elbow length. I always carried a 4' square thin black silk scarf that folded up to practically nothing and could be used as a head and shoulder covering if needed. If I was planning to do something like riding a camel, I would wear a pair of bicycle shorts under the skirt. Modest attire that also offers a lot more "air circulation" than shorts or pants.

GrannyJ said it all!

I wear capris in Europe or knee covering flowing skirts, a t-shirt or blouse and keep a large thin scarf in my purse, just in case. Since we always travelled independently, I did not want to look like the quintessential tourist.

However, in a group on excursions, that does not really matter. Everybody looks like a tourist.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone...OP here, and just back from my trip!

Much thanks to everyone on this thread who helped me with my wardrobe. I feel like I was dressed appropriately for all the ports we visited. I used the scarf I had tucked away in my bag while visiting mosques in Istanbul. My capri's were of sufficient length that I didn't need to borrow a sheet or cover-up anywhere.

Thanks again!!

Debbie

Sent from my iPad using Forums