Dressing in MDR

alb456

If your are new to cruisng or to sailing on Celebrity I would suggest to read the FAQ section on Celebrity's website.

To answer your question I don't think men wears jeans. Dockers or similar are the norm. I am not bashing it as I do sail on it and enjoy every time but If you sail on Carnival they may be wearing Carhartts or bib overalls.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I understand that on formal nights that the men have to wear jackets. However, on the other nights would a nice pair of jeans and a nice shirt be ok for men to wear.

Yes

I thought the choice was between,Balsamic,creamy Italian,and Celebrity

I thought the same thing,..Celebrity dressing is my favorite. I did not know they still offered it...

BTW have never seen men wearing jeans at dinner...not even in Blu. ..Not saying they don't but it never stood out if they did....Have seen women do the light weight dark denim.

Alb456, I notice you are a new poster. Please don't get your feelings hurt. They are just teasing you and they like joking around. Wear to dinner what you would wear to a nice dinner out.

Breakfast and lunch are a little more casual and the buffet is the most casual. Take the jeans, but wait to wear them to dinner til you have checked out the other diners. You will know pretty soon what you will feel comfortable in. Ships vary, depending on who is on board and whether it is in the Caribbean (casual) or Europe (less casual).

In the old days you were expected to wear a jacket most nights in the MDR and either a dark suit or Tuxedo for Formal Night. However, with the airline restrictions and charging for luggate it has become increasing difficulty for the passengers to pack suits for the men and formal dresses for the women. Because of this, many of the cruise lines have relaxed their standards. Carnival has gone to the extreme in regards to lack of dressing in the MDR, but Cunard still requires a jacket.

When we had cruised on Azamara I found that the only time I needed a jacket was when I dined with the Captain.

I would suggest a nice sports jacket or suite for Formal/Elegant Night. On other nights some stylish clothing in good tatse.

Hope that this helps.

The weight restritions have been around for years when flying. I really do find that people using luggage restrictions as an excuse to be looking for an excuse. If you wanted to bring it (whatever clothing it may be) you would find room in your bags or carry it on or even wear it while travelling.

I agree with you Mic. Someone on one of my rollcalls said when you are spending thousands of dollars for a cruise, what is another couple of hundred extra in extra baggage fees. I am cutting down on cruises I have to fly to, but to me, it ruins the fun if you have too cut to much. I would rather pay extra baggage fees.

In the old days you were expected to wear a jacket most nights in the MDR and either a dark suit or Tuxedo for Formal Night. However, with the airline restrictions and charging for luggate it has become increasing difficulty for the passengers to pack suits for the men and formal dresses for the women. Because of this, many of the cruise lines have relaxed their standards. Carnival has gone to the extreme in regards to lack of dressing in the MDR, but Cunard still requires a jacket.

When we had cruised on Azamara I found that the only time I needed a jacket was when I dined with the Captain.

I would suggest a nice sports jacket or suite for Formal/Elegant Night. On other nights some stylish clothing in good tatse.

Hope that this helps.

If baggage fees is your main issue here, then realize that jeans weigh a whole lot more than most dress pants. Denim is heavy. Dress pants are usually made of a polyester and are a fraction of the weight.

Regardless, are you really willing to be the ratty dresser in the MDR over baggage fees. It's about 30 bucks check a bag which you can easily go through on a night at the Martini Bar. Is it really worth trying to shove all your stuff into a carry one so you can't even dress properly?

If baggage fees is your main issue here, then realize that jeans weigh a whole lot more than most dress pants. Denim is heavy. Dress pants are usually made of a polyester and are a fraction of the weight.

Regardless, are you really willing to be the ratty dresser in the MDR over baggage fees. It's about 30 bucks check a bag which you can easily go through on a night at the Martini Bar. Is it really worth trying to shove all your stuff into a carry one so you can't even dress properly?

100% agree

Baggage allowances are the least of my worries when I fly... Even if the cost of extra bags adds up. I am more worried about the airlines losing my bags vs what we pay to bring them along (and let's face it EVERYONE of the airlines is charging for extra bags these days... Discount airlines are even taking to charging for EVERYTHING including each checked and carry on items :( )

Although I will say... Like another Poster said this is why Mr Sloop & I love cruising from a port we drive too... As Celebrity let's us bring all the stuff we want aboard. And for us that usually means there is a gym bag filled with more shoes. Lol

I've seen folks with in addition to their baggage... Cases of Bottled Water - Boxes of Softdrinks - Diapers or Baby Formula - or fun stuff like Scuba Gear - Bikes - and even Motorcycles (although I am going to wager that the folks who brought Bikes & Motorcycles made arrangements with Celebrity beforehand to do so, as they were held for them elsewhere in the ship than in their cabin)

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

This is not my opinion, but rather the opinion of numerous individuals I have talked with. Delta Airlines for example on international flights will allow one suitcase/passenger, maximum is 50 lbs. Each additional piece would be $100.00.

In the old days one on one of the up scale cruise lines would take a Tuxedo, as well as a Sports Jacket and dress slacks. The spouse would take 2-3 dresses, one of them formal. This was when there was a midnight buffet each night, that most people would get dressed up for.

On Azamara, which is an upscale line by anyone standards, they have done away with formal nights. This makes sense in that not having to take a Tuxedo, reduces weight and gives you the option of taking more slacks which would could wear on numerous nights as well as during the day.

I am not stating that the presence or absence of the necesity of taking formal wear is good or bad. It is just that to have to take a Tuxedo on a cruise to Europe and wear it at best two nights might not make sense. In addition, sailing through the Carribbean, one might prefer lighter clothing than formal wear.

My wife and I will be on Celebrity in Europe in the near future. I intend to take a white jacket with dark slacks, and a very light linen sports coat with light slacks to serve weight. However, I would not require other passengers due to weight restrictions to do the same.