This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies

Host Walt

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there are Lanai cabins on Koningsdam.
Oops . I Googled lanai cabins Koningsdam and it came up but this seems to be wrong as there is no lower promenade deck. :o Darn internet . ;)

Oh well next time .

Has anyone booked Aft balconies? Wonder if the smoke issue would be less if we were on the back of the ship?

I've booked aft balconies. The thought that aft balconies are better is nothing more than a myth. Even if the visible smoke does dissipate better back there (which it doesn't), the stench that is so intrusive does not.

Ever been driving in your car with the AC on behind someone smoking? It just goes to show that wind does not blow away stench.

Good Grief, why? It seemed a very efficient way to handle all of the smoking threads.

That thread goes into temporary lock-down every once in a while. It will be reopened eventually---always is.

Must have been a kerfuffle of some sort, but I will admit I missed it if there was.

I am always in favor of any and all smoking restrictions . Having said that, from a business perspective , why would they do this ? As a result of their failure to move on smoking, they have become the go to cruise line for balcony loving smokers . Are they making this change because they are afraid of losing non-smokers or are they trying to be on the "right side" of of this issue . Either way they won't get any credit from me . Is this just another politically correct act .

I just popped over here to see if there were any changes because I'm a balcony smoker wanna be again. I miss it terribly on other lines and see no sense to booking one again so I can leave it to go to a smoking area. As far as I know, Holland is the last hold out giving me my vacation complete. If they go smokeless, I might as well go back to insides on another line from Canaveral near me.

And I just popped in to see if HAL was still stuck in the 20th Century. We have cruised HAL six times and will not cruise with them again until they ban smoking on balconies. Me darling wife has twice said that she would like to return to HAL.

And I just popped in to see if HAL was still stuck in the 20th Century. We have cruised HAL six times and will not cruise with them again until they ban smoking on balconies. Me darling wife has twice said that she would like to return to HAL.

Yep... still hoping for a courageous move on HAL's part prior to the Koningsdam going into service. What a great opportunity... missed from how it now appears.

Tom

Don't they have certain balcony areas where smoking isn't allowed? Before Carnival's full ban, they had spa balconies where no smoking was allowed. I think they were forward on their ships that had them.

Don't they have certain balcony areas where smoking isn't allowed? Before Carnival's full ban, they had spa balconies where no smoking was allowed. I think they were forward on their ships that had them.

They have spa cabins on some ships but you can smoke on every balcony on Hal.

I just popped over here to see if there were any changes because I'm a balcony smoker wanna be again. I miss it terribly on other lines and see no sense to booking one again so I can leave it to go to a smoking area. As far as I know, Holland is the last hold out giving me my vacation complete. If they go smokeless, I might as well go back to insides on another line from Canaveral near me.

Boss: Write em' a letter and / or email. They need to hear from us. Too long we have remained silent and allowed ourselves to be bullied by the anti-smoking mob, and this is the result: one lone cruise line which still allows balcony smoking. Enough.

I have shown HAL exactly how much I won't be spending with them in 2017.

I am also younger than most on here, and by a wide margin. I also have to pay for a family, not just a couple. In 10 years I won't even be 50, so there is quite a long time that I can be a customer of HAL, or be a customer elsewhere.

I'm not an anti-smoking lynch mob, I just don't want to smell smoke on my vacation. I've *always* said smokers should have comfortable lounges / areas dedicated to them.

I am also younger than most on here, and by a wide margin. I also have to pay for a family, not just a couple. In 10 years I won't even be 50, so there is quite a long time that I can be a customer of HAL, or be a customer elsewhere.

I'm not an anti-smoking lynch mob, I just don't want to smell smoke on my vacation. I've *always* said smokers should have comfortable lounges / areas dedicated to them.

So YOU won't be spending, but in turn, I'm likely to be your fill in for the same reason. I'm not the only convert from another cruise line. For each person threatening to leave, there is someone waiting to come.;) I have no children to keep entertained, so Hal might be a great fit.

I'm totally with you on that one, and I'm also in your age group. I'm not anti-smoking either, and i certainly don't hate smokers. I don't care what HAL's current policies allow people to do to their own bodies. I just can't stand how their current policies allow the stench to fill my space and affect my well being.

I will not cruise with HAL until they change their policy. For now, we are with Norwegian. They are wonderful. I always loved HAL but they've really lost me on the balcony smoking. Last aft balcony cabin I had, one year ago on the Westerdam, there were cigar and cigarette butts in the well on our balcony. Enough is enough. I never thought I would draw the line, but I have. We have many of our friends from Florida sailing with us on NCL next January. Lost revenue for HAL.

So YOU won't be spending, but in turn, I'm likely to be your fill in for the same reason. I'm not the only convert from another cruise line. For each person threatening to leave, there is someone waiting to come.;) I have no children to keep entertained, so Hal might be a great fit.

You may very well spend more than I do now. But statistically speaking I've got longer to spend it.

I'm totally with you on that one, and I'm also in your age group. I'm not anti-smoking either, and i certainly don't hate smokers. I don't care what HAL's current policies allow people to do to their own bodies. I just can't stand how their current policies allow the stench to fill my space and affect my well being.

bingo

I will be sailing again next Sunday and I will be sure to indicate on the survey that I have friends and family members who will not join me as long as there are smokers on the balconies on HAL. I did so on my survey last month and stressed that the smoke from the starboard side of the SeaView Pool area carried over to the port side and drove non-smokers away.

I have no problem with HAL having an enclosed area for smokers, but I don't want to deal with the stench from a minority of passengers. It's time to move on from this stinky, unhealthy habit.

I will be sailing again next Sunday and I will be sure to indicate on the survey that I have friends and family members who will not join me as long as there are smokers on the balconies on HAL. I did so on my survey last month and stressed that the smoke from the starboard side of the SeaView Pool area carried over to the port side and drove non-smokers away.

I have no problem with HAL having an enclosed area for smokers, but I don't want to deal with the stench from a minority of passengers. It's time to move on from this stinky, unhealthy habit.

I assume then you are not sailing with HAL. Who then?