Staterooms

renesir

Planning an Alaska cruise in 2016 and was wondering what kind of stateroom to get. I did do a Hawaii cruise around the islands and had a balcony, although it was nice I don't recall being on it much. Any info on inside cabins?

The times I've sailed in Alaska, I had a balcony and rarely used it. I much preferred to be on open deck so I could hear the naturalist or other commentary as we cruised. Even in August, I was much too cold to stay on the balcony. If I do it again (likely), if book an oceanview on a ship with a nice Promenade deck with chairs. But that's me.

Alaska was our first cruise. We had a tiny inside cabin on Sea Princess (much smaller than the inside cabins on the Grand class of ships). This was the cruise that made me realize I love cruising.

We didn't need a balcony. We spent all of our viewing time on deck and it was wonderful. I don't see how we could have seen more - or even as much - from a balcony.

Book a balcony if you like. Many people will probably tell you it's "a must". I love a balcony and the ready access to the sea air and the view of the sea, not to mention the natural light but it isn't a must and I don't know that it will enhance the "Alaska experience" that much.

Watching the glacier calve in Glacier Bay from up top was great. We could see everything on both sides of the ship. If we had been on a balcony we would have missed much of what we saw from the upper deck. We did spend some time on the Promenade deck as well when we were cruising right past the glacier and saw some great calving from there. A balcony on the other side of the ship wouldn't have afforded the view we had.

It sounds like you may not use the balcony in Alaska either so save some money.

When we cruise in a balcony regardless we use it as much as possible.

In Alaska its not unusual for us to be on it 10 hours a day.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We had B727, an inside, on the Coral to Alaska. Access to the back deck was just steps away and very few people ever went out there. We sat in the lounge chairs and had beautiful views of both sides. :D

We've been to Alaska three times. For us a balcony is a "must have". First time, we only had an ocean view, and I stayed on the open deck for hours at a time. It's so much more convenient to have your own balcony to stand or sit on. If it's cold, I just bundle up and go outside. When the commentary is being given, just put your television on the ship's channel and turn it up a little. You can hear everything that is being said. (I didn't say "blasting" nor at midnight.)

You will hear the same thing that those on open decks hear, just through the television.

Since we started booking balconies, I never regret the decision that we have made.

It depends a little on which itinerary you'll be on. Even if you aren't interested in a balcony, consider minimally an ocean view.

For us, it wasn't like we were on open ocean for days, usually we could see land. I was fascinated by the changing scenery and it was daylight about 20 hours a day as I recall.

We had a great time in obstructed view cabins on our first two cruises to Alaska. On our most recent one, we were lucky to be upgraded to a deluxe ocean view--a cabin category specific to the Diamond and Sapphire that has a balcony without any furniture. We enjoyed the great views while we were at the glacier from our balcony, but I wouldn't have paid extra for it. I say save your money for excursions. We had great views from the public decks on the first two cruises.

Having been to Alaska six times, I would offer this suggestion---if you do decide to book a balcony cabin, take into consideration the direction of the cruise, northbound or southbound, and select a cabin on which ever side will be looking toward the east. The views during the inside passage transit will be fantastic and watch for whales and dolphins. We saw a lot of them from our balcony last week.

While we don't always get a balcony cabin, Alaska is the one place where we do always now splurge on one. Of all the places in which we've cruised, I would only say the balcony is essential in one place....Alaska!!

To each his own but that is my recommendation.

While we don't always get a balcony cabin, Alaska is the one place where we do always now splurge on one. Of all the places in which we've cruised, I would only say the balcony is essential in one place....Alaska!!

To each his own but that is my recommendation.

Alaska and the Mediterranean, esp. Italy and Greece! Sitting on our balcony while cruising into the crater of Santorini, the Grand Canal of Venice, or along the Croation coast was mesmorizing.

I have done Alaska twice. First time inside cabin and the second with a Caribe balcony. The scenery changes every second. We were on our balcony so much. It is wonderful to go inside when you get cold and not miss anything. Have your room service on the balcony. There are so many people up on deck. We slept with the balcony door open every night.

Having the extra bit of space is worth it as well

Also, when we were in a scenic area, example -up close to a glacier, the ship rotated sideways so that passengers on both sides of the ship could see the scenery.

Yes, but each side can only see it half the time!

I cruise on a budget. I get an inside room and save my money for great excursions. I spend lots of time on deck and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

If you have more money than you know what to do with, go ahead and book a balcony, but if you are on a budget, don't skimp on excursions just to be able to afford a balcony.