What are your bucket list or Dream Cruises

On our list is an 8N Canadian Rockies land tour, followed by an Alaskan cruise, followed by a Hawaiin cruise, followed by a cruise back to Sydney via the Pacific Islands all B2B2B.

Oh that's right, we fly out next Wed for our trip of a lifetime :D:D:D

YES!!!!

Happy cruising.

Wow. Sounds fantastic. Have a fabulous time. Did you do all the planning yourself?

Sarah - I said to hubby the other night that you are so good at researching that we would employ you to research when we win lotto. (We have tickets :) ) I think even if we win lotto we would still like to get a good value cruise. I couldn't stand the thought that I was paying too much :)

Thanks for the compliment, there are some very good researchers on this forum. I have learnt at lot from various posters off this forum and my friend google.

Is it tickets in the big one?? Good luck :D

On our list is an 8N Canadian Rockies land tour, followed by an Alaskan cruise, followed by a Hawaiin cruise, followed by a cruise back to Sydney via the Pacific Islands all B2B2B.

YES!!!!

Happy cruising.

Please post back and tell us how awesome it is, and make us green with envy :D

YES!!!!

Happy cruising.

I am JEALOUS you might even say green with envy

Wow. Sounds fantastic. Have a fabulous time. Did you do all the planning yourself?

Pretty much, with our travelling friends Jim & Ann - we researched the whole thing & then we used a holiday company in Canada who arranged the car hire + accomm at the hotels in the Rockies and in Vancouver & Seattle, and our local TA booked the flights to Calgary & the 3 cruises.

We are cruising for 34N and will be away for 42N in total.

It's been a whole adventure and we haven't left yet :)

Of course we will report back.

I see that Africa is on your list but my advice would be to do a land holiday there. Africa is my favourite continent and there is so much to see. There is nothing better than staying in open camps (as long as you are sensible) and having elephants brushing against your tent or when we stayed in the Okavango Delta in Botswana lying in bed listening to the hippopotamus eating just in front of our accommodation and lions roaring in the distance.

I know that I will probably be flamed for this response as it is a cruising forum and I also love cruising but I think there are certain countries that you need to see by land, India for instance. If you just went to Mumbai you would not have seen the real India.

I have just returned from my 4th visit and this time I went to East Africa. It was tough going at times but the things I did and witnessed made this my favourite holiday so far.

Regards Elaine.

I agree.

We are doing land portions in Africa as well, we cruise there and then do several safaris and sightseeing in South Africa (Sabi Sands and Kruger), then we go to Zambia Livingstone and Botswana's Okavenga Delta for more safaris. It will be fabulous, and I anm sure will not be the last time we go to Africa.:D

We nearly always combine a land component (tour or stay of some kind) with a cruise.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

YES!!!!

Happy cruising.

Enjoy, you will love Canada and Alaska, I know we did but I am jealous anyway.:D

:eek: wharrrrrrrrt???????

I was only after a two bedder unit. Sheesh! 20 liquids huh?? Looks like I won't be sharing that prize pool folks :p.

We are lucky enough to have a friend with and apartment on The World.

This year we took our first holiday onboard. Nearly four weeks from Papeete to Auckland.

This time next year we'll be in Iceland ready to board again for just over four weeks - Reykjavik to Montreal including a two week Greenland Expedition. Counting down the next 52 weeks.

On our list are an Indian Ocean cruise and Antarctica. One day :)

Pete

This year we took our first holiday onboard. Nearly four weeks from Papeete to Auckland.

This time next year we'll be in Iceland ready to board again for just over four weeks - Reykjavik to Montreal including a two week Greenland Expedition. Counting down the next 52 weeks.

Pete

Yes, you are very lucky to have a friend like that.:D

One amazing experience is to cruise the Arctic, either from Longyearbyen (Svalbard) or from North Norway. We did 16 days a few years back, Tromso to Reykjavik with a lot of time cruising the ice around Svalbard and travelling in zodiacs for landings. Not cheap but definitely worth it if anyone is looking for something a bit different. Polar bears were in abundance!

Galapagos is also great. The killer there is the long flight to South America in the first place.:(

Antarctica will come….soon I hope, maybe next year :)

One amazing experience is to cruise the Arctic, either from Longyearbyen (Svalbard) or from North Norway. We did 16 days a few years back, Tromso to Reykjavik with a lot of time cruising the ice around Svalbard and travelling in zodiacs for landings. Not cheap but definitely worth it if anyone is looking for something a bit different. Polar bears were in abundance!

Galapagos is also great. The killer there is the long flight to South America in the first place.:(

Antarctica will come….soon I hope, maybe next year :)

We recently did Antarctica (14 nights on X Infinity) and the Galapagos (4 nights on a small cruise - private vessel) in the one long 6 week stint in South America (also a 21 day land tour). It was well worth doing all of it to compensate for the high cost flights to and from SA. The wildlife was fantastic for both cruises but Antarctica has the best scenery around, it is simply gob smacking I would recommend it to anyone. I plan to go again if the opportunity arises.:D

Pete

Do they need any more friends?

We did the Galapagos in 2012 (a significant birthday :D) and like you, made the trip more cost effective by visiting several places, Machu Picchu and the Amazon as well as a few days in Lima and Santiago. We did Celebrity for the Galapagos, on their expedition ship, and it was pretty good value as a cruise tour including the accommodation in Quito and flights out to the islands.

We considered Antarctica on Orion when they used to sail out of NZ but there were a lot of sea days to make land fall, so we will go out of Ushuaia which is closer (and anyway Orion has become part of Linblad now). We need to do it when we can still climb (clamber?) in and out of zodiacs. There were a few in the Arctic who had real difficulty and if the truth be known were probably a threat to their (and others) safety if anything went wrong.

We did the Galapagos in 2012 (a significant birthday :D) and like you, made the trip more cost effective by visiting several places, Machu Picchu and the Amazon as well as a few days in Lima and Santiago. We did Celebrity for the Galapagos, on their expedition ship, and it was pretty good value as a cruise tour including the accommodation in Quito and flights out to the islands.

We considered Antarctica on Orion when they used to sail out of NZ but there were a lot of sea days to make land fall, so we will go out of Ushuaia which is closer (and anyway Orion has become part of Linblad now). We need to do it when we can still climb (clamber?) in and out of zodiacs. There were a few in the Arctic who had real difficulty and if the truth be known were probably a threat to their (and others) safety if anything went wrong.

We cruised through Antarctica (no Zodiacs but 5 star cruising) rather than doing an expedition type cruise as my wife was very hesitant at the zodiacs and making land fall there and for me the prices escalate significantly for the expedition type cruises ($3000, 2 weeks, balcony on the infinity compared to $12000, 10 nights, expedition ship). Needless to say there is so much wildlife in the waters around the ship that getting onto land was not a priority for us. I am not saying that one beats the other as each cruiser has their own priorities. Both ways would be awesome.:D

071123_explorer_hmed_9p.grid-6x2.jpg

I think I'll pass on an Antarctic cruise...:eek:

Ooh, a bit top heavy methinks! :D

You're right MicCanberra, the price difference is enormous. This was the DH's significant birthday bash (for we two only, no party, no other gifts). From the days when consultancy work paid good money!

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday, I booked one of my bucket list cruises. I have looked a couple years at this itinerary. I think I got a good rate. I didn't book through my normal online place but another online sale finder.

Anyway, this is what I booked.

Cruise: Hawaii, Tahiti & South Pacific

Cruise line: Princess Cruises

Ship: Sea Princess

Departs: Sydney, 10 April 2016, 16:00

Returns: Sydney, 15 May 2016, 07:00

$8128 IF inside category solo plus OBC $148.50. With deposit $250 final payment in January 2016.

Princess site shows: $9016 and my normal online place $8800