Would you cancel a cruise because of a bad weather forecast?

BunnyLebowski

OP here. We are lucky that our family is spontaneous and comfortable with last minute adjustments to a plan if that's what makes the most sense. I wouldn't alter the current itinerary for a chance of showers one or two days, but rather if the forecast is for rain seven days in a row, it's more likely than not the area will not have good weather.

We have been to bermuda several times and have seen the caves, ate at the swizzle inn, done the island tours, ferries, etc and all that was great fun. But for us, DH and I are professionals who work a lot and have limited opportunities to get away as a family and wish to make the most of our limited time,and ideally that means at least one good beach day.

We are fortunate to live in a costal community south of boston, with beautiful beaches only a bike ride away, a private pool and great weather this time of year, including this week where Bermuda is getting all that rain. Not to mention the world class art museums, science museum, aquarium, dining, living history, architecture, shopping, hiking etc just 30 minutes from home. I find myself scratching my head and asking if next week were to be a repeat of this week weather-wise (bad there, perfect at home), does it make any sense to go?

We are looking forward to our cruise and the change of scenery and the fun of the ship, but I'm thinking we should be realistic and be prepared to pivot if need be if the weather looks like it clearly isn't going to cooperate as we hoped. We would still enjoy the ship of course, but realistically not quite as much due to crowded indoor venues if no one wants to be outside.

It would seem many will choose to cruise no matter what. I wonder how many of them would make the same choice given the variables I'm considering- disappointed cranky children, a viable (better?) alternative, and little financial penalty for switching things up.

Remember, all this is entirely speculative. A thought exercise if you will. But I'll be watching the forecasts...

Thanks to all who are helping to work through this. Am feeling #Blessed and that ultimately it may be a choice between 2 great alternatives- can't complain about that.

Your closing argument has convinced me to stay home. However, since I live on Long Island and have many of the things you described plus Manhattan I never book a cruise during the summer months.

There is rain forecast for Bermuda every day this week.

DH and I are on the Summit to Bermuda leaving this Sunday, traveling with our two boys age 9 and 11. We visit Bermuda for the beaches. If there is rain forecast for all next week too, we are seriously considering canceling our trip. We have Celebrity's cancel for any reason insurance and would be fine with transfering the credit to a sailing this winter.

What would you do?

Where are you finding these forecasts for 12+ days out? The Bermuda weather service only forecasts for 5 days in the future...that is before you even leave. The Weather Channel only goes out 10 days, and the first day of rain they show is Thursday. If it is the Accuweather long range forecast, the accuracy of those is so bad almost to the point of laughable.

Any meteorologist will tell you that accuracy falls through the floor much beyond 5 days out--AND that doesn't include the factor that Bermuda is in the middle of the Atlantic AND has several micro-climates on that one archipelago (sunny and warm, e.g. In Hamilton and monsoon like rains in St. George). Having been there 8 times, would never even remotely think of canceling a trip there for weather issues.

Bermuda is the classic: "Don't like the weather? Wait a minute."

EDIT: OK, I see that you aren't really seeing any forecasts, just the possibility of a forecast.

Edited by ECCruise

It's only Tuesday. No one, not even the weathermen, can tell what it's going to be like all next week.

Our local guys predicted rain last week - almost every day - it was sunny and dry the entire week.

I would never cancel because of weather, unless of course there was a major hurricane threatening to hit the port of embarkation at the time of sailing. That would be the only time I might consider it.

I tell all my friends with children "Tell them to be meteorologists!" Because they just have to look good on camera; they don't have to be right. Our weather forecasts, both local TV and internet weather sites predicted several thunderstorms a day for the past three days. It has not rained a drop. There is always a possibility of showers here in the summer. That does not mean you can count on it.

I would never cancel a cruise unless there was a death in the family....and then only if I really liked the family member.....

Edited by helen haywood

I tell all my friends with children "Tell them to be meteorologists!" Because they just have to look good on camera; they don't have to be right. Our weather forecasts, both local TV and internet weather sites predicted several thunderstorms a day for the past three days. It has not rained a drop. There is always a possibility of showers here in the summer. That does not mean you can count on it.

I would never cancel a cruise unless there was a death in the family....and then only if I really liked the family member.....

OT, but what if the deceased Aunt Martha was not really liked by you, but her children were loved by you in your childhood, and you are still close. It's not really about Aunt Martha.

Kind of reminds me of Yogi Berra's statement, "'Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours.":D

You never know.

on the Bermuda cruise where it rained one day. between hurricanes , a couple on our roll call from LI had to cancel (no insurance). He worked for local power company and was called in to work...storm changed direction and bypassed LI and Bermuda...but they still made him come in...

It was a stressful nervous week watching weather and tracking forecasts and we have now opted out of booking Carib cruises before Nov....of course winter weather is also risky for anyone who must fly

Friends cruising on Norwegian to Bermuda were advised to pack sweaters for an adjusted itin to Canada...they complied...weather changed and upon arrival at port they learned Bermuda was back on the itin.....sweaters and all...

OP and her family are only ones who can decide....

The OPs post made me smile. We have spent far more then 3 years on cruises and would never consider cancelling any cruise based on a weather forecast. The weather forecasts are not even that accurate 24 hours in advance much less several days... And we agree with one of the other posts that if you cancel trips based on weather forecasts you would probably never leave home :).

We do understand that some folks "obsess" about weather forecasts (we have friends that used to watch the weather channel many hours a day) and perhaps dealing with the obsession is a better option then reacting to every weather forecast. When I flew single engine planes, I would obsess about the forecast for the following few hours....and even these were often inaccurate.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Sunshine and no clouds make the worst photo's. You want some overcast to bring out the colors better.

Wet streets are good to photograph also, dry streets are boring at times.

It doesn't rain steady in Bermuda, it's like Florida.

Where did you get that Bermuda Forecast? I don't see that weather coming? Rain everyday, I don't think so. There is no major weather system coming to Bermuda next week.

Tuesday only 30% chance of rain (which is nothing). Wednesday & Thursday are perfect.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/BDA:9

CaptDave

I think it would depend on your expectations. You said you want beach days. We have done this cruise twice with much younger kids (2 and 4; and then 3 and 5). Both trips we had limited rain.

Our first trip...it rained one full day or at least most of the day and overcast the second but beautiful the last. We did the aquarium the day it rained. It was ok. We are from NY and access to the zoo, museums etc. it was fine to do on a rainy day. We are not shoppers, don't care about eating off the ship. If you can get part of a day it is easiest to go to snorkel park right by the ship. This way if the weather isn't perfect you can go back easily. We went to horseshoe bay our last day that trip.

It only rained a few mins our second trip. Despite the weather report. So you never know.

You could also do the caverns. Most likely you would get some beach time in even if it isn't the whole 3 days.

More of a concern is what you think your kids would enjoy ON the ship. Remember they only have the outdoor pool to use. If the weather is bad on sea days they would only have the kids club and whatever you choose to do with them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm just back from bermuda having sailed Celebrity last week. We were worried about Bertha and Bernie but we sailed around Bertha and had smooth sailing. Forecasts said we would have nasty weather pretty much the entire time, but in truth, it only rained hard a couple of times on day two in Bermuda and cleared up quickly. Pack ponchos and umbrellas and have a great time no matter what!! Bermuda has so much to offer...don't let the rain stop you!! Have a great cruise no matter what you decide! :)

Are there a plethora of activates in Bermuda for children, age 4?

Not sure what flights would be, but since you mention beaches in particular, did you consider cancelling this cruise and instead booking an RCI cruise out of Florida instead? You are virtually guaranteed to get some sunny days with a Caribbean instead of Bermuda cruise. Just a thought. Your kids may like RCI better anyway.

Law Chick...I totally get your dilemma. Hubby and I are very busy parents in stressful jobs, the last thing we'd want is for our much anticipated vacation turn out to be a weather flop. On a cheery note, although we haven't been to Bermuda yet, we've been to Caribbean many, many times throughout the years and yes, we've experienced rain but never for a total 7 days straight. So, despite the gloomy weather forecast, the chances of you actually getting awful weather througout your entire cruise is somewhat slim. Besides, I can't tell you how many times we've been bummed by the forecast to be pleasantly surprised after arriving at our destination.

We recently returned from a cruise to the Norwegian fjords and although our forecast was rather depressing, guess what? We had the really great weather for most of the trip! Who knew? You could always set your expectations rather low like we did and if you get a day or two of sun, then you'll be happy.

What I'd be concerned with personally is how rough the seas will be. Obviously if it's hard rain, the waters will be more rough and if you're sensitive to motion, you may want to consider taking some meds or cancel.

I can tell you that if it were my hubby in your shoes, he would cancel although I'd try to stick it out. Having good weather especially at a beach destination is a big deal for him, and given his limited vacation time at a stressful job, I can't blame him for wanting a good vacation. Hope the weather clears for you so you can make an easy decision.:)

Just came back on the freedom to the caribe it was forecasted to rain every port, it rained a total of 10 mins the entire cruise for 8 days, unless there is a hurricane or tropical storm I can't see it raining all day everyday.. Enjoy

I used to hate rainy days. Just hated them. Which, in retrospect, meant I was doomed to many miserable days. Somehow I learned that I could have a great day even if it was rainy, and now have the capacity to enjoy every day. Wish I had learned that lessen many years before.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Baby :D:D Bob and Phyl

The weather never bothered me much. I have seen a little of everything on my cruises over the years. Rough seas, where they put out the barf bags and a lot of people get seasick is not good. I don't like when they announce that we will be missing two ports because of bad weather, not good. Cancelled flights to or from the cruise is bad. We always try and avoid bad weather because of these things. That being said my next cruise is in the Caribbean in Sept. I don't always listen to my own advice.

There is rain forecast for Bermuda every day this week.DH and I are on the Summit to Bermuda leaving this Sunday, traveling with our two boys age 9 and 11. We visit Bermuda for the beaches.What would you do?

We went to Tobacco Bay in the rain. Made sure we had a water proof bag and all electronics in baggies. They had a canopy up and everyone put their stuff under it.

We were wet anyway. Lots of people snorkeling. There were two rolls of thunder and everyone got out for 20 minutes or so. It was warm and humid so it wasn't uncomfortable.

Took a taxi to and from St. George. It was wonderful.

My kids are all grown now, but some of our most memorable vacations were during bad weather. We were in an ocean town during a hurricane and still talk about it. Sometimes things don't turn out the way you plan, but better!

It would seem many will choose to cruise no matter what. I wonder how many of them would make the same choice given the variables I'm considering- disappointed cranky children, a viable (better?) alternative, and little financial penalty for switching things up.

My family is sailing to Bermuda on Friday--kids ages are 10.5, 8 and 6. Not with Celebrity, but I wound up here when I did a search for "Bermuda rain" because I just looked at the weather reports on weather.com. We're there Sunday-Tuesday.

Weather.com says that there is an 80% chance of rain on Sunday. After reading this thread, I checked Accuweather and the forecast for the exact same day is "a little morning rain". The meteorologists can't even agree!

I also live in the same area as you and two days ago, you posted that this week is beautiful and hinted that the entire week was to be beautiful. I don't know if that is what the meteorologists predicted, but it's pretty rainy over here today.

We've already had to postpone this cruise once for a medical reason. If you want to cancel, it's fine and certainly your prerogative. It does sound like you're surprised that many don't agree with you, though. My family has done their share of trips with rainy days and it usually keeps the crowds at bay. We were in Disney two years ago with Tropical Storm Debby and rain is not the first thing that pops into my mind for that vacation. On the flip side, we rented a house on the Outer Banks one year and the first night, the weather was predicted to be major rain for the entire week. It rained exactly one afternoon of our week.

Weather is a gamble, yes. I'd rather it didn't rain, but if it does, we'll be wet but in Bermuda.

Good luck and have fun with whatever you decide.

Edited by lolavix