Washcloths on the Silhouette?

snookie1

Only 40 days to go until our Eastern Mediterranean cruise!! Starting to write lists of "do not forget" stuff. I can't remember if I read on these boards (I've been haunting them for the past year!), but are washcloths available on the Silhouette? I can't do without my washcloth, and will have to bring a few cheapies if not provided. Thanks so much!

Only 40 days to go until our Eastern Mediterranean cruise!! Starting to write lists of "do not forget" stuff. I can't remember if I read on these boards (I've been haunting them for the past year!), but are washcloths available on the Silhouette? I can't do without my washcloth, and will have to bring a few cheapies if not provided. Thanks so much!
Yes, there are washcloths, hand towels, bath towels, bath mats, pool towels, shore towels, maybe even some other type that I have overlooked. :)

Of course, those nice iced or heated cloths that they give you upon your return to the ship after a day in port.

Edited by fleckle

Yes, there are washcloths, hand towels, bath towels, bath mats, pool towels, shore towels, maybe even some other type that I have overlooked. :)...

I think all you forgot were the terrycloth robes. (Or waffle cloth depending on cabin type).

If you're in an aft cabin take your own small cloth as well so that you can give the furniture a quick wipe down early in the morning if there is any ash. It was a tip we read on here and came in very useful. :)

If you're in an aft cabin take your own small cloth as well so that you can give the furniture a quick wipe down early in the morning if there is any ash. It was a tip we read on here and came in very useful. :)

Why bring your own? If you did you'd quickly end up with a dirty cloth to use the rest of the cruise and then carry home. If you need extra cloths or towels for this purpose then tell your cabin steward and ask for extras. Don't hesitate to give them a call if you find a need for some for this, or any other, purpose between their normal visits.

We agree. If you find yourself in a room that has a sooty balcony, ask the stewards to leave you extra cleaning cloths. They will wipe done the furniture for you but if you are early risers and want to take care of it before they come on duty, just ask them to leave a supply of cleaning cloths for you

Just cover the loungers with a pool towel and reverse before using. Replace as need.

Why bring your own? If you did you'd quickly end up with a dirty cloth to use the rest of the cruise and then carry home. If you need extra cloths or towels for this purpose then tell your cabin steward and ask for extras. Don't hesitate to give them a call if you find a need for some for this, or any other, purpose between their normal visits.

Just followed advice we were given on CC with an old face cloth - no big issue and it was really handy. We threw it away when we left. Rinsed it in the sink - there wasn't that much soot. :)

The question of washcloths being available MAY NOT be as silly as it seems:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2087285

This poster is claiming that on Eclipse they just got back from said no facecloths were in their cabin unless they requested them.

Seems a bit strange to me, but apparently someone has had issue recently. Also note Eclipse is sailing out of UK, so perhaps local custom as some have noted in this thread does not put them in cabin? Or maybe this was a singular issue, or a Day 1 issue of them missing due to backed up laundry.

Just cover the loungers with a pool towel and reverse before using. Replace as need.

Keep in mind that this ash...is very oily, and not healthy .A group of us were sooted over one afternoon while at the aft bar on Silhouette It happened fairy quickly...covered everything...deck, deck chairs, tables, drinks, the bar and people. Some had soot in their hair, ears,nostrils and eyes.., our clothing was a mess down to socks and undies.

officers arrived quickly, made incident reports, sent some to the med ofc...we were given fresh drinks once we moved to a clean area and also given free laundry coupons., clothes surprisngly came back VERY bright and white! The apology notes blamed use of the wtong mix in the engines...?????

anyhow we love the aft area but are wary...

If you are staying in a European hotel you may not find facecloths, but on the ship you will definitely have facecloths

European hotels sometimes don't have washcloths.

Don't worry! Cruise ships do and as many as you want! :)

LuLu

When you meet your room steward for the first time, just say you'd like to always have 4 washcloths (or however many). I always do that, and there are always at least 4 to 6. It's no big deal. No need at all to bring your own, even if you ARE discarding them.

I love the discussion of soot and ash. I'm a rail fan and now it seems my cruise will be just like riding a steam train. :D

Sometimes there is soot that settles on the aft verandas and sometimes not. It must depend on the cruising speed and wind conditions. I don't know if the soot comes from the fuel they burn to power the ship or the incinerator so those, and the amount they are used, might factor in as well. We've had aft verandas many times on M class ships and never had much of a problem. We've only had an aft on S class once (transatlantic on Equinox in 2009) and there was lots of soot every day. We couldn't sit on the chairs without covering them with towels or walk out there barefoot or without wiping our shoes off when we reentered the cabin. But from other posts I've read there usually isn't as severe of an issue.

If you are staying in a European hotel you may not find facecloths, but on the ship you will definitely have facecloths

I agree, facecothes are never a problem on cruiseships, but hotels are another thing.

The question of washcloths being available MAY NOT be as silly as it seems:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2087285

This poster is claiming that on Eclipse they just got back from said no facecloths were in their cabin unless they requested them.

Seems a bit strange to me, but apparently someone has had issue recently. Also note Eclipse is sailing out of UK, so perhaps local custom as some have noted in this thread does not put them in cabin? Or maybe this was a singular issue, or a Day 1 issue of them missing due to backed up laundry.

Given that poster's totally negative post and lack of context, I wouldn't put great stock in it. This was her sole "review" of the cruise and ship, picking at a few very minor issues and not uttering a single positive.

As you say, did the steward just fail to put facecloths in the cabin on turnaround day, possibly due to laundry backup, or did she have to ask every day throughout the cruise? Having been on the Eclipse a couple of months earlier, I can state with certainty that this was not a problem for us.

We have always had wash cloths in the bathroom on any of the Celebrity ships we've sailed on. If for some reason you don't have them in your stateroom ask for the them.

Edited by Chicago Boy

I love the discussion of soot and ash. I'm a rail fan and now it seems my cruise will be just like riding a steam train. :D

I wish I'd kept my mouth shut now and not mentioned it - ahhhhhhhh. :eek:

Re the steam train ------- what better way to travel - perfect ;)

You folks do seem to have some weird ideas about hotels in the UK/Europe. I have never yet stayed anywhere other than a real cheapie motel, in the UK or in fact anywhere (and we have travelled fairly widely) that has not provided what you call wash cloths and we call face flannels!

Beautiful Hilton hotel in Barcelona. High rise, huge hotel with lots of conventions and international travelers. No wash clothes. Asked for one, got a small rag, sort of like a cleaning rag. Towels and sheets great quality.

Greece, no wash clothes or toliet paper.

We are staying at Hilton's DoubleTree in London next week. I expect to have wash cloths.

Margee

Also experienced asking for a washcloth and bring given a cleaning rag at most recent stay at a hotel in Italy, then remembered to ask for a facecloth and the manager said that while they do have them they are not usually part of the room set up but they were happy to open the linen closet and provide them.