Explore the Isles - Brief Review

LovesToRead

DH and I were on Explore the Isles on the Marina from 7/23 to 8/2. This was our first cruise on Oceania. We're in our early 60s; we've sailed with Cunard, Crystal, Regent, Holland America, and Royal Caribbean. We took this cruise as part of our 25th wedding anniversary celebration and we had a wonderful time! Despite a few missteps, Oceania definitely lived up to our expectations, based on the recommendations of friends and those on this board.

Food

Of course, this is always very personal. However, I thought that this was just about the best food that we've had at sea. We went to all 4 specialty restaurants (and were able to have dinner at Toscana, our favorite, twice). On the two occasions when we sent food back (once I found my lamb wasn't hot enough and once my husband received the wrong dish), the situation was quickly resolved and the servers were apologetic. We were extremely pleased with the Terrace Café for dinner. The atmosphere was lovely and the grill was terrific. A minor concern is that the wait staff in some of the venues seems to be unevenly trained. The pacing at Red Ginger seemed a bit off and we had one lunch in the GDR where, despite the fact that the room was virtually empty and there were two servers nearby, it took a very long time to get a different salad dressing. We also had an experience at Jacques where our previously ordered anniversary cake (suggested by the maître d' when we stopped by in advance) never arrived. Although this was disturbing, we didn't let it spoil the cruise (but I did note it in my evaluation).

Ports

We took 3 excursions and explored the remaining ports on our own. For us, this was a good mix. The excursions (to Cawdor Castle, a panoramic drive around Isle of Skye, and Kinsale) were quite good; the guides were excellent. Our fellow excursion passengers were extremely polite and prompt; people were early getting onto and back to the bus. The only frustration (as I've noted in another post) was that, for the ports that we did on our own, we didn't learn about shuttle information until late the night before.

Ship

The ship is lovely and immaculate. We loved the fact that there were so many places that one could sit and be quiet if desired. Our cabin attendant was fine and kept the room in great shape.

Staff

Ray Michaels, the cruise director, was very warm and accessible. Thomas, our concierge, was extremely helpful and provided excellent information about ports.

I owe my fellow CC posters a big thank you; the information that I gathered on these boards was an enormous help!

Again, we loved the Marina and the Oceania experience and are planning a second cruise next spring.

We were on the same cruise and our experience was much like yours. We found the service to be much better than we experienced on our first O cruise on Riviera, but no, unlike Crystal, the waiters are not into memorizing your name and becoming your buddy.it is a different style of service by design. (As FDR once explained to me)

Funny that we would have the same cake failure as you did, as my wife and I ordered an anniversary cake the day before our friends' anniversary, in order to surprise them when we dined in The Polo Grill. We stopped by and ordered it from the maitre d'. The next day we ate our meal and the cake never arrived. When we informed the maitre d', who had no independent recollection of us ordering the cake, he went back to his computer to check. He had ordered the cake, but it was never delivered and no one followed up. The next day our friends informed us that when they got back to their cabin at the end of the evening, a cake had been delivered to their cabin.

Again, it did not ruin what was a very nice cruise, but we were very disappointed that we were unable to surprise our friends with the anniversary cake.

I agree with you that CD Ray Michaels was warm, friendly, approachable and hard working.

Thanks for your review. I also wrote one on an earlier thread upon our return.

Digtexas, can you amplify on the "service by design" comment? I am asking because I have been on only two cruises. I was on the Marina three years ago and recently the Azamara Journey. I like very much both lines, but found Azamara had a big edge in service.

Digtexas, can you amplify on the "service by design" comment? I am asking because I have been on only two cruises. I was on the Marina three years ago and recently the Azamara Journey. I like very much both lines, but found Azamara had a big edge in service.

Reggie,

I am happy to explain what I mean. On Crystal, you dine at the same table every night in the Main Dining Room (when not in one of the specialty restaurants or Tastes on Serenity) and your waiter and assistant waiter become aware of your preferences and you get to know them, as well as your headwaiter. On O, whether you dine in the GDR or Terrace Cafe day or night, you sit at different tables with different waiters. The waiters in all of the dining venues on O are friendly and efficient but do not introduce themselves, ask you where you are from, know whether you like your water with or without ice, etc.

On Crystal, the Filipino deck stewards who we affectionately call "the Lido and Trident guys" because they always work the Lido buffet at breakfast and lunch, and around the pool and Trident deck during the day, have a kind of schtick, where by the second day they know your name, how you like your coffee, say "hook 'em Horns" to me after I wore a University of Texas shirt, tell you their names, remember you from cruise to cruise, and are just a lovely, wonderful bunch of guys, who go out of their way to really make you feel special and to give you personal service. Most Crystal passengers love these guys and their service and feel that their loving presence can really make a cruise. A few have written that they found them a little over the top or annoying, but only a few.

As far as the officers go, I found them to be about the same on both lines. On O, the Cruise Director is much more outgoing and engaged with the passengers than I have ever experienced on Crystal.

So, what I meant, was that O prefers their waiters to be reserved and efficient, while on Crystal, at least with the Filipino deck stewards, the culture is one of effusive friendliness and familiarity, somewhat reminiscent of many of the friendly Cajuns near where you live.

Reggie,

I am happy to explain what I mean. On Crystal, you dine at the same table every night in the Main Dining Room (when not in one of the specialty restaurants or Tastes on Serenity) and your waiter and assistant waiter become aware of your preferences and you get to know them, as well as your headwaiter. On O, whether you dine in the GDR or Terrace Cafe day or night, you sit at different tables with different waiters. The waiters in all of the dining venues on O are friendly and efficient but do not introduce themselves, ask you where you are from, know whether you like your water with or without ice, etc.

We have had friendly wait staff on our cruise they do learn your name & preference even in the Terrace

One waiter knew we always had a cappuccino after dinner & would ask when we were ready just let him know

The pool guys are also friendly

Maybe you just got the newbies;)

I found the wait staff we encountered, will engage in friendly conversation when we addressed them first. Same for the officers, only a nod hello but on a few occasions we asked questions and they were happy to respond....altho briefly. The room attendants were the most outgoing and friendly. O has a discrete, & more traditional type service.

Thanks for taking the time to wright your review, glad your trip was nice. What is funny we also had a missing cake but to tell the truth I was happy cause I could not eat any more. Ships like Oceania's are like restaurant's ashore, you arrive eat and leave. There is interaction with the staff but just once. On Crystal the staff bonds with you during the trip. One advantage of being forced to eat at their time and place.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

We found the service to be much better than we experienced on our first O cruise on Riviera, but no, unlike Crystal, the waiters are not into memorizing your name and becoming your buddy.it is a different style of service by design. (As FDR once explained to me)

I am also interested in the "different style of service by design" "as FDR once explained."

Any more details on that conversation?

Thanks !

I am also interested in the "different style of service by design" "as FDR once explained."

Any more details on that conversation?

Thanks !

When I mentioned the style of service of Crystal's deck stewards, memorizing guests' names, making sure that you know their names, always being very familiar and effusive, he said that he prefers a more restrained style of service. That was about it.

When I mentioned the style of service of Crystal's deck stewards, memorizing guests' names, making sure that you know their names, always being very familiar and effusive, he said that he prefers a more restrained style of service. That was about it.

digtexas:

Thanks....very interesting !

Tom

I would agree with FDR

While we do become friendly with some crew & chat a bit we do not need to be best friends with them.

If you need to be best friends with the crew or have them address you by name maybe Oceania is not for you

JMO

Edited by LHT28