New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

We've only sailed HAL once, before the pandemic, and disembarked using the regular "hand the checked bags over" the night before route.  (Always my preference.)  On our upcoming cruise aboard the Rotterdam, a very recent change in our flight schedule will make it preferable for us to walk-off the ship with all of our own luggage.   I assume HAL allows this "self-assist" disembarkation, but could someone please confirm that?   Also, any tips for how early to get in line, etc.  (We'll be disembarking in Amsterdam if that helps.) 

Thanks for any info!

I've done that, just kept  my luggage in the cabin until morning and take them off the ship in the morning.

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

We've only sailed HAL once, before the pandemic, and disembarked using the regular "hand the checked bags over" the night before route.  (Always my preference.)  On our upcoming cruise aboard the Rotterdam, a very recent change in our flight schedule will make it preferable for us to walk-off the ship with all of our own luggage.   I assume HAL allows this "self-assist" disembarkation, but could someone please confirm that?   Also, any tips for how early to get in line, etc.  (We'll be disembarking in Amsterdam if that helps.) 

Thanks for any info!

Yes, you can take your own luggage off, I do that all the time.  Best to get off VERY EARLY or VERY LATE.  You will be given a particular time based on your giving them the form filled in stating you will be taking off your own luggage, but my advice would be to ignore that and just wait until a little after 9 AM when the announcement comes GET OFF OR ELSE (just kidding, but you know what I mean).  But I hate waiting in lines and there WILL be lines to disembark.  So if you have an early flight, line up as soon as you can figure out where the gangway will be.  If not, go have breakfast in the Lido (don't stay in your room - the stewards have to do the turnaround, and it's just rude to hang onto the room so they can't do that - relax, eat, and then get off at the very tail end of disembarkation. 

Edited by Moriah
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Turtles06 you will be able to drop your bags at the door if you eat breakfast in MDR or you can leave them in your cabin while you eat then grab them to leave. If you do that, just let your steward know you're coming back but that they can start on your cabin - they'll apprehending able to get another cabin marked off.

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Also, any tips for how early to get in line, etc.  (We'll be disembarking in Amsterdam if that helps.) 

Do NOT get in line to self-disembark until your group is called. It will be the first group, and unless delayed for some unexpected reason, will happen around 7:30, give or take 15 minutes or so. 

If people start to gang up at the expected exit, they block access to the stairs and elevators for those who are not getting in line to leave. Those who are disabled can't get to the elevators and go about their business. 
The ship asks people not to start to gather because it causes it mess for others. Please comply with that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Do NOT get in line to self-disembark until your group is called. It will be the first group, and unless delayed for some unexpected reason, will happen around 7:30, give or take 15 minutes or so. 

Ruth, thanks so much for this.   So I'm clear, what you are saying is that HAL will "call" the walk off group? 

7 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Ruth, thanks so much for this.   So I'm clear, what you are saying is that HAL will "call" the walk off group? 

Yes. Once everything is cleared for disembarkation, the self-assist group is called over the PA system. As said before it will be around 7:30 give or take.

35 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I agree with Ruth, however, that said, if you have an early flight I would get to the gangway as early as possible, just be respectful of the issues she mentioned. And as I said, if you don't, just wait until the line is over and get off later (my preferred scenario always :))

10 minutes ago, Moriah said:

I agree with Ruth, however, that said, if you have an early flight I would get to the gangway as early as possible, just be respectful of the issues she mentioned. And as I said, if you don't, just wait until the line is over and get off later (my preferred scenario always :))

Thanks, yes, I'm not a fan of blocking walkways or elevators.   

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Moriah said:

HAL will have the information from you regarding what time your flight is and will put you in the proper group.  Get in line to disembark when they call your group and you should be fine.  If it's an early flight do not put your luggage out the night before to expedite the process.  If you have a later flight be patient until your group is called.  It's pretty easy really

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, jonyboy said:

HAL will have the information from you regarding what time your flight is and will put you in the proper group.  Get in line to disembark when they call your group and you should be fine.  If it's an early flight do not put your luggage out the night before to expedite the process.  If you have a later flight be patient until your group is called.  It's pretty easy really

No, please don't confuse Turtles06. He was asking specifically about taking one's own luggage off, in which case what you have said is not correct.  They will be assigned the earliest time regardless of when their flight is, because of the self-removal of luggage. Being "patient" has nothing to do with it in this case.  The reason I mentioned that the alternative is to wait until the END is that people getting off as you described will be LINED UP, sometimes the lines are long, and it would NOT be appropriate to be dragging your luggage off at that time, in addition to the fact that your assigned time will be first thing in the morning.  So if you are taking your own luggage off, even if you have a "later flight" you will be assigned disembarkation at 7:30 or so, but as I have said several times, there is no harm if you simply WAIT until embarkation is almost over and then take your luggage off.

5 hours ago, schwesterellibelli said:

our first cruise with Holland America and our TA has assigned us for the dinner time at 6 o clock. With the request for a table for 2. 

Your Hal statement should indicate a confirmed table for two. There is an early 5ish depending on the ship and late seating.  There is not 6 o’clock seating.   We will only eat at a table for 2 and it has never been a problem.  This is what I see on my statement.IMG_7556.jpeg.498eb86c3e56d33fb294d885ceb565bd.jpeg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Your Hal statement should indicate a confirmed table for two. There is an early 5ish depending on the ship and late seating.  There is not 6 o’clock seating.   We will only eat at a table for 2 and it has never been a problem.  This is what I see on my statement.IMG_7556.jpeg.498eb86c3e56d33fb294d885ceb565bd.jpeg

Is there open seating?

There is open seating, you are welcome to walk up to the podium at 6.  There will probably be a bit of a wait for a table of 2; they will give you a pager.  I prefer fixed dining; I enjoy having the same waiter every night.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks for any info!

You will receive a form to fill 9ut regarding your flight info and other disembarkation plans. What you put on that form will determine the time slot you are assigned.

There will be an option to select "walk off" meaning you're taking your own bags off. You'll be in the first group if you select walk off.

Then just listen to the announcements indicating it's time for you to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, jules815 said:

Sailing on Nieuw Statendam next April. First time with HAL. 

Do they still do twice daily cabin service? Also, is room service (other than continental breakfast) included? (We'll be in a Neptune Suite.)

Welcome to HAL!!

Cabin service is now once/day, but you can still get turn down and evening ice service if you want. Being in a NS, your cabin steward will likely accommodate your requests, so probably not to worry about 1x day service.

Room service is included and being in a NS, you will also be able to enjoy breakfast in the PG (Pinnacle Grill).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jules815 said:

Sailing on Nieuw Statendam next April. First time with HAL. 

Do they still do twice daily cabin service? Also, is room service (other than continental breakfast) included? (We'll be in a Neptune Suite.)

Welcome to Holland America!  You have chosen a lovely ship.  

Here is the Neptune Suite Room Service Breakfast Card.  

The included room service menu items are the last two pages of this card.  (The first two pages are the items you will pay extra for and the fourth page is the non-suite breakfast items.) All-Day Room Service Menu

You will make your choices for stateroom service on the following card, found in your room on the first day.  It is likely that you can hand it directly to your room stewards as they will pop in to introduce themselves quite soon after you board.

900C4217-6899-4938-9D4A-DC04700CB1B6.thumb.jpeg.8e045bb741cd47c9b462c3a6d66b9633.jpeg

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Room service is included and being in a NS, you will also be able to enjoy breakfast in the PG (Pinnacle Grill).

On a Pinnacle-class ship (the Nieuw Statendam) breakfast and lunch are available to them in the Club Orange Dining Room.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Welcome to Holland America!  You have chosen a lovely ship.  

Here is the Neptune Suite Room Service Breakfast Card.  

The included room service menu items are the last two pages of this card.  (The first two pages are the items you will pay extra for and the fourth page is the non-suite breakfast items.) All-Day Room Service Menu

You will make your choices for stateroom service on the following card, found in your room on the first day.  It is likely that you can hand it directly to your room stewards as they will pop in to introduce themselves quite soon after you board.

On a Pinnacle-class ship (the Nieuw Statendam) breakfast and lunch are available to them in the Club Orange Dining Room.

Just for clarification, Club Orange is not open for lunch.  It is open only for Breakfast and Dinner for Neptune Suite guests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Crew News said:

Just for clarification, Club Orange is not open for lunch.  It is open only for Breakfast and Dinner for Neptune Suite guests.

Whoops, sorry!  I definitely meant dinner!  Thanks for the correction.

• Like 1

Hi I have a question about their Main dining room. We are cruising on the Nieuw Statendam in September,and it is our first time with Holland America. Are you restricted to one starter and one entree. We usually cruise with celebrity and find that sometimes we don’t like the starter and chose entree as a starter and then an entree as a main. Is this an extra charge on Holland America?

2 hours ago, lisax said:

Hi I have a question about their Main dining room. We are cruising on the Nieuw Statendam in September,and it is our first time with Holland America. Are you restricted to one starter and one entree. We usually cruise with celebrity and find that sometimes we don’t like the starter and chose entree as a starter and then an entree as a main. Is this an extra charge on Holland America?

So far there is not an extra charge for more than one starter or appetizer.