New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

1 hour ago, akcruiser21 said:

Are they really charging an additional fee on top of the $54.28 for sides !?  I could order multiple appetizers and entrees without being charged more?....Seems like it would make sense to have the sides  included to fill people up.  I suppose the charge for sides is common in most steakhouses though...

I normally cruise with Virgin and I am excited to try out HAL, but have gotten used to Virgin's "Specialty Dining" being included in the fare and definitely less upcharges overall. 

Don't forget, as most people seem to, that you've already paid for a meal in the MDR as part of your cruise fare.  Add that value to the charge for the Pinnacle Grill and its supplemental fees when deciding whether it's worth it to pay to dine in an alternative restaurant onboard.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, islandwoman said:

Don't forget, as most people seem to, that you've already paid for a meal in the MDR as part of your cruise fare.  Add that value to the charge for the Pinnacle Grill and its supplemental fees when deciding whether it's worth it to pay to dine in an alternative restaurant onboard.

We got one reservation at a specialty restaurant as part of the have it all package. We chose the pinnacle.  We already had one for the tamarin. So that makes two on each of the days. I think those are also the formal days or what used to be called that and so therefore I’m happy to be in a specialty restaurant that night.

1 minute ago, islandwoman said:

That knowledge that we've already paid for a meal has kept us out of the specialty venues many, many times.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Great point!

On 12/11/2023 at 6:03 PM, Gsel said:

My cabin mate traveled with passport (that expired before the six months), birth certificate and driver license last July. No problems. She was not denied boarding! 

Thank you! I am bringing my birth certificate (just in case) and drivers license, along with my passport of course! 

On 12/12/2023 at 5:50 AM, Fouremco said:

There are two separate factors to consider: the requirements of the cruise line (their ships, their rules) and the requirements of the countries visited during the cruise.

For a closed loop cruise embarking and disembarking at the same US port, HAL does not require a period of validity extending 6 months beyond the termination of the cruise:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises: U.S. citizens on cruises in the Western Hemisphere that originate and terminate in the same U.S. port are required to have proof of citizenship such as a valid U.S. passport or a government issued birth certificate combined with a government issued photo I.D. Other approved proof of citizenship documents such as a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) or certificate of naturalization along with a government-issued photo ID are also acceptable. A passport is still the preferred document. PLEASE NOTE –WHTI-compliant documents are acceptable for entry or re-entry into the United States. You may be required to present additional or different travel documents when entering foreign countries, including some countries in the Western Hemisphere.

The Turks and Caicos Islands require your passport to have three months validity upon entry. None of the other countries have an extended period of validity requirement. You appear to be safe as you passport will have just over three months left.

This is one on my favourite cruises. I hope that you enjoy it to the fullest!

Thank you for the information! I am so looking forward to the break and warmer weather. We have had a record breaking winter for snow. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2023 at 10:32 AM, Cruise Suzy said:

That's why we reserve a time for the MDR once onboard. Haven't been able to convince DH that fixed dining is ok.

Is there a way to reserve a dining time prior to boarding? What about switching from “anytime” to conventional? I can’t find a place on the website to do that.

Just now, twosit said:

Is there a way to reserve a dining time prior to boarding? What about switching from “anytime” to conventional? I can’t find a place on the website to do that.

Your TA can assist w/your dining preference. Fixed early, fixed main or anytime.....

1 minute ago, twosit said:

No you can’t. I asked a HA Representative last night about it. They can add or refund specialty dining reservations, but they cannot do the main dining room. That can only be done once you are on board. if you go to make a reservation or they do for specialty dining, if there’s no actual time that you can select, it means that they are sold out for that night. Hope that helps.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mimie03 said:

No you can’t. I asked a HA Representative last night about it. They can add or refund specialty dining reservations, but they cannot do the main dining room. That can only be done once you are on board. if you go to make a reservation or they do for specialty dining, if there’s no actual time that you can select, it means that they are sold out for that night. Hope that helps.

Not true. I'm on board Rotterdam. My PCC had us down a year ago for fixed early dining. When you board your room key card already has your table number on it. We have the same table for 51 days, as we did last year, as we did the year before.

• Like 3

Just now, Seasick Sailor said:

Not true. I'm on board Rotterdam. My PCC had us down a year ago for fixed early dining. When you board your room key card already has your table number on it. We have the same table for 51 days, as we did last year, as we did the year before.

That’s not what I meant. You can change from a set time to an Anytime dining. What I was referring to was if you have any time dining, and you want to book a specific time, save for Christmas day, which is what I tried to do, then they cannot do that for you.  You must wait until you were on board and as soon as you get on board you need to go and ask at the main dining room. I do not want to get stuck with an 830 dining time so the second we get on we are going to then ask for a reservation for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  Sorry if I wasn’t complete in my answer the first time. I hope this clarifies what I was trying to say.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twosit said:

It can be done when you're doing the booking. You can also call Reservations and they can change it for you.

1 minute ago, librarylady19 said:

When do included specialty dining reservations become available for booking online? We have 2 included for the Baltics cruise on NS May 5 sailing but not able to book yet. 

Just keep trying. Or call specialty dining at HAL. They will tell you. I think it was 3 months out for us. And you have up to 4 days out to change or cancel for free.  I canceled one of mine 4 days out for one of mine. I called them. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

When do included specialty dining reservations become available for booking online? We have 2 included for the Baltics cruise on NS May 5 sailing but not able to book yet. 

No set timing we have had anytime from 6 to 3 months out before they open up. Keep checking because the best times will be booked fast after they open up with so many having the HIA included specialty restaurants.

• Like 1

Our upcoming cruise in April on the Koningsdam will be our second HAL cruise, our first longest (22 day) HAL cruise, and our first time sailing in a HAL Neptune suite.  I have two newbie questions:

1. I can't find the Surf Internet Package for pre-cruise purchase online, only the Premier Internet Packages.  We don't need the Premier, but the $29.99 per person per day price I found for the Surf Package purchased onboard is much more expensive.  Can I expect to see the Surf Internet Package for sale at a more reasonable price? 

2.  Is the "no-host mini-bar" in the Neptune Suite complementary?

22 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

1. I can't find the Surf Internet Package for pre-cruise purchase online, only the Premier Internet Packages. 

The Surf package isn't available for purchase pre-cruise. It is available once on the ship. 

22 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

2.  Is the "no-host mini-bar" in the Neptune Suite complementary?

You have to pay for mini-bar drinks. 

1 minute ago, RuthC said:

The Surf package isn't available for purchase pre-cruise. It is available once on the ship.

Is the price on the ship likely to be less than $29.99 per person per day? 

For my 22 day cruise, the Premier one device Internet package costs $291.91 per person/ $13.27 per day.  Is the Surf Internet Package likely to be less than that on board?

21 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Is the price on the ship likely to be less than $29.99 per person per day? 

For my 22 day cruise, the Premier one device Internet package costs $291.91 per person/ $13.27 per day.

I've never paid attention to the price per day, so I don't know if it lessens as the cruise gets longer. I do know that it has been posted here many times that the Premier package, if purchased in advance, is not a lot more expensive than the Surf package purchased on board. So, I expect your Surf package will be less than $13.27/day. 

How many days were in the calculation where you figured the daily rate? 

12 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I've never paid attention to the price per day, so I don't know if it lessens as the cruise gets longer. I do know that it has been posted here many times that the Premier package, if purchased in advance, is not a lot more expensive than the Surf package purchased on board. So, I expect your Surf package will be less than $13.27/day. 

22 days for the Premier Internet Package for my upcoming cruise, $291.99. 

I don't know the number of days for the daily rate I found for the Surf Package here: 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/onboard-packages/cruise-ship-wifi

38 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

22 days for the Premier Internet Package for my upcoming cruise, $291.99. 

I don't know the number of days for the daily rate I found for the Surf Package here: 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/onboard-packages/cruise-ship-wifi

59 minutes ago, RuthC said:

It's a 21-25 day package, but the cruise is only 22 days.  I just took the total price and divided by 22. Maybe I'll have to stow away for 3 days to get my money's worth 🤣

2 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

It's a 21-25 day package, but the cruise is only 22 days.  I just took the total price and divided by 22. Maybe I'll have to stow away for 3 days to get my money's worth 🤣

If you plan on doing anything more than reading emails and surfing some websites, the basic Wi-Fi is worthless anyway. To use Wi-Fi streaming, phone calls and video calling you will need the premium package.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

If you plan on doing anything more than reading emails and surfing some websites, the basic Wi-Fi is worthless anyway. To use Wi-Fi streaming, phone calls and video calling you will need the premium package.

I’m assuming that with the have it all package that they give you the basic Wi-Fi. Can you upgrade once on board to the premium package? And if so, does anyone have an idea of how much that would be?