Safety in Ephesus??

judla

With the world situation like it is now how safe is it to travel to Ephesus? We had been planning a cruise next fall which included that port and now my sister is afraid to go because Turkey is so close to Syria. I know it is difficult to project a year from now, I just wanted to get some opinions on this. Thanks in advance for the advice.

I would stay with a tour group.

I think it is safe to visit Ephesus or Istanbul. We spent four days in Istanbul last September and visited Ephesus on a ship's tour.

I did hear from some of the locals that we befriended in Istanbul (a Kurdish restaurant), that there are a million refugees in Turkey from the Syrian war.

With the world situation like it is now how safe is it to travel to Ephesus? We had been planning a cruise next fall which included that port and now my sister is afraid to go because Turkey is so close to Syria. I know it is difficult to project a year from now, I just wanted to get some opinions on this. Thanks in advance for the advice.

I would say it is safer than the USA right now. The Turkish people are amazingly friendly, but stay clear of their carpet stores!

Turkey is quite safe. They have secure boarders and a sophisticated military. Friends of ours have a house in Bodrum and spend a lot of time in Istanbul. They say they feel very safe. Turkey is a very sophisticated country with an advanced infrastructure. Of course an event can occur anytime anywhere but I would encourage you to see Ephesus. It is amazing. We had a private guide who was fabulous. I can't begin to tell you how impressive the ruins are.

I would go to Ephesus. It's not to be missed as it's fabulous. We were there last October on a guided tour and had no worries. Ephesus is not near the Syrian border and did not feel unsafe at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Here's how I look at it:

1) as other have mentioned the cruise line will take no chances.

2) Turkey is a large country bordering Syria - Kusadasi is not even close as most tourist areas are not close as well.

3) Turkey is an amazing place and most of the "hot spots" would be near the Syrian border.

4) We hired a private driver to take us to Ephesus and it worked great. The van was really nice, comfortable and we did not get herded around like the groups did.

I would not flinch to go there again but you know the tolerance level of those traveling with you. You have a lot going for the trip and being on a cruise is one of them.

We would feel safer in Kusadasi (and Ephesus) then we would in many places of NC :). In fact, DD is in Turkey at this very moment (doing a 2 week land trip) based on our recommendation. We like to remind folks that Turkey is still an active member of NATO and the Turks have always treated us very good. As to their newly elected President and his conservative Muslim tendencies.....we shall have to wait and see if it has any long lasting impact. But the last time I looked, Turkey is still a democratic country (with a much better voter turnout then we get at home) that welcomes tourists and does a great job separating us from our tourist dollars :)

Hank

My husband and i just did a Black Sea cruise last month. We spent 3 days in Istanbul prior to the cruise and visited Ephesus. We never felt unsafe. I would love to go back and visit more of Turkey. Just remember to sign up with the US State Department before you go, they will keep you informed of any unrest in the countries you visit.

We will be visiting next October aboard the Equinox and we don't believe that there is sufficient cause for concern not to visit Ephesus. That being said, I suggest that you read the Advisories and Security sections for Turkey in this Government of Canada website before making your decision:

http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/turkey

I wasn't sure about Turkey or Ephesus when we went on our med cruise last year. I was amazed at the beauty of the land and the friendliness of the people. Can't wait to return. Don't pass on it, it would be a great shame to not see it.

I have been to Istanbul more times than I can count and to Ephesus twice. Both are well worth a visit. If things seem stable at the time you'll visit, don't hesitate, as the situation probably won't be any worse than in any major city where zealots have free rein. I just read very disturbing reports about threats made on Chicago; I'd rather be in Ephesus.

As ShariNJim said, register with the State Dept that you are traveling outside the US. You have quite awhile before final payment is due and I certainly would not cancel at this point in time.

Ahhhh the memories Ephesus brings back. Ephesus is one of our top 4 port destinations ever visited via ship and of those 4 you could pretty much shake them up in a bag and they will all come out equal. We did not tour with a Celebrity ship excursion but one that I booked independently (my family and friends thought I was crazy to say the least) that met us at pier in Kusadasi.

The tour company indicated that we might feel more comfortable with another couple or maybe two rather than traveling alone with guide and driver so they matched us up with 2 other couples that would be onboard the Millennium. We conversed via email for a couple of months prior to our departure date; I arranged that we met the 2nd evening onboard to get acquainted and the 6 of us got along as well so the 2 days spent with a young Turkish female and a driver was one of our best tours anywhere. We were taken places and granted access/invited to see things that others on ship's tours were not. And although she was not of our faith there was never any negative statements or animosity between any of us. We had recently returned from 21 days in China and I can not say the same about some tour guides during that trip.

Port of Kusadasi was clean and friendly to cruise ship passengers. Both afternoons upon being returned to the port I stayed outside in the shops while hubby returned to ship. It was a few years back but can honestly say I felt as safe there as I have in any other foreign port and certainly safer than in several US cities. But always, err on the side of caution; do not flaunt expensive jewelry, be mindful of your personal items that you carry with you, carry your cell phone with an international plan and allow plenty of time to return to ship before its departure. Your option of course would be to stay onboard but in my opinion, Ephesus is not to be missed if at all possible. Bobbi

ps: stay out of the rug factories/stores unless you really want one! The salesmanship is phenomenal, so much that I nearly had one shipped back....

Hum, I have a sister in Bluffton on Pinckney Colony Rd!

By all means go to Turkey and marvel at Ephesus. As other have mentioned, if the world situation were to get worse, the cruise line will not allow its passenger to be put in the line of danger.

Have traveled all over the world and just retired as an ER/Trauma RN, I can tell you straight out that the greatest danger you will statistically face will be on your drive to the airport!

Edited by PROCRUISE

I would say it is safer than the USA right now. The Turkish people are amazingly friendly, but stay clear of their carpet stores!

and the guys selling fake leather jackets in Kusadasi :D

Simple answer, if your scared don't go!

Are you going to cancel every holiday because something has happened in a country your going to visit?

Stay at home and hide in the wardrobe?

We have site here called the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) It has an A-Z of countries with travel advice. You probably have a similar one, have a look.

If it says on there that its safe to travel to a particular country, then that's all the information I need.

Off to Egypt next week for a holiday, not worried in the slightest about any trouble. Only worried that my flight takes off on time and that the hotel is good!

Edited by wales4ever

As a resident of NYC I can tell that IMO it's safer than New York and Detroit ;).

We had been there 2 times and going 3rd time in 3 weeks.

Great historical sites, turkish food amazing and people are friendly.

Cruise ship company won't let you in even with slight possibility of danger.

Have traveled all over the world and just retired as an ER/Trauma RN, I can tell you straight out that the greatest danger you will statistically face will be on your drive to the airport!

I have a "reality challenged" BIL who refuses to go on a cruise ship, or even an airplane... :(

...even though he has almost killed himself (and my sister) TWICE...

...in totaled automobiles on the highway. :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

Edited by teecee60

and the guys selling fake leather jackets in Kusadasi :D

I have two genuine replica watches that stopped working as soon as we cleared the harbour.... I do have a very nice leather jacket however..

I love Ephesus and would love to go back again just to take advantage of that 5 year warrantee...