Trying new things on a Cruise

MrCruzdoggie

Our Aussie friends brought some Marmite along to share on one cruise. Didn't get a lot of new fans!

New things I've tried on a cruise have been going on a Segway and going snorkeling. Both great fun.

Nice to see a thread about fun new things instead of complaining. :)

Linda

I tried Vegemite while in Australia and it didn't appeal to me, but DW liked it.

I think that I spread too much on my bread.

What is Marmite?

rancid vegemite.

while I consider myself adventurous and a foodie the majority of 'new' things I tried have all been alcohol cocktails( I have discovered a love of rum)

although most recently, English Bacon. the 'regular' stuff ( buffet and MDR) was inedible( waaayyyyyyyyy too salty) on Century.

unfortunately everyone thought so too so it disappeared the next day. oh, and i tried ( but couldn't finish) Blood sausage as well.

Talked my DW into snorkeling while on a Caribbean cruise; she would swim a lot, but always with her head above water! I am an avid SCUBA diver and skin diver from way back. She really liked it. We were able to snorkel above an old WWII ship wreck and the colorful fish were plentiful.

New? things -- Years ago we shot skeet and chalk golf balls off a ship. More recently, I dove fully clothed into the pool with the staff at a white party. I also tried to take a total header coming down the stairs for the captain's table, all was fine except for my red face.

Have expanded my snorkeling skills since cruising. And therefore have some fabulous new memories (and photos)

Plan to further my scuba experiences also in the future

My technology skills... Particularly when it comes to photography have also grown... We now travel with 2 regular cameras (pocket point & shoot, and a medium point & shoot) and our iPad (photo storage & some video). We plan to add a GoPro soon to expand our "easy to use & compact" video capabilities as well as being able to take better photos underwater (no more disposable underwater cameras for us)

As far as eats... Cannot say we've added much in the way to new items while sailing Celebrity as we are Foodies, and have tried a vast lot of things over the years

Lol, now alcohol and mixed drinks that is another matter. We've had a lot of great ones on Celebrity... A fave though would be the Pyrat Alexander (Passport Bar on The Solstice)... A magical ice cold drink made with Pyrat XO Rum, Patron XO Cafe Liqueur, Disaronna Ameretto, Island Oasis Ice Cream & Whip Cream... Garnished with a Marashino Cherry. It is a killer... Part iced coffee, part ice cream milk shake... More dessert than drink (lol unless you have a few, and then go to stand up. One was always more than enough for me) Great after a long hot day ashore in the Caribbean !!

We are looking forward to our upcoming cruise to Mexico... We plan to expand our knowledge of Tequilla both on the ship & ashore... Not so much to get loaded (we really aren't into that scene... We just believe in good drinks in moderation, Quality over Quantity). So hope to do some measured tastings to further understand the nuances of this Spirit. I understand that there are some varieties of this Spirit just aren't found in Canada or the USA (or very pricey after Import Taxes)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

1st snorkeling Key West 99 Century

1st Zip line last year in St. Lucia. Eclipse

1st float plane trip Ketchikan 2000. Infinity

1st helicopter (for her-I had plenty in 'Nam) Juneau 2000

1st nude beach, Orient, around 2005. Made it to the raft :eek:

Many other not so notable 1st as we love to try new things.

Food wise, Phyllis reluctantly tried escargot and now has it every opportunity. We also love sambal, which is an Indian sauce available on request. One of the things we love about cruising is the opportunity to sample new foods.

Great thread!

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

This is where I learned that I absolutely love escargot. I am so disappointed now when they don't have it available on the menu. I never order it at home....cannot even find a place where I go where they serve it around home. On a cruise....the best!!

They have had escargot our last two cruises - one in November last year and the other this year in May. Available every night in MDR

Edited by d4m

English bacon on Celebrity is terrible, it's too salty and not cooked properly. Blood sausage or black pudding are also terrible I don't know where they get them from or how they are making them but they aren't done correctly and taste nothing like they should do :(

with all this talk of escargot and martini's perhaps we should combine them into the ESACARGOT MARTINI ????

Anyway-- got certified on a Princess 10 day cruise in 1991 and have been avid scuba since --the wall at Cozumel!!!!

Fun thread!

First cruise (Alaska) Did the float plane and a helicopter to the glacier and first and last zip line, lol. Two out of three isn't bad.

Rode a camel (once was enough) in Egypt and an elephant in India.

This year on Panama Canal cruise: tried scuba (loved it but gear was hard to handle during training) did the sea kayak thing (glad we tried it on excursion instead of buying one), tried mild river rafting.

Climbed the Leaning Tower of Pisa this past April.

In Moorea, we did a ATV ride up to the top of an overlook and rode through pineapple plantation.

I'm glad I pushed DH and booked the first cruise the year we retired...can't beat cruising for new experiences. I've been housebound for four months after surgery and thinking of these has been good therapy!