The truth in dropping approval percentages: Infinity

Photo_Traveler

About 20 months prior, we booked this years April Panama Canal cruise. Back then, I remember the Infinity was rated at or above 80%. In reading the current reviews (again, all reviews must be taken with a grain of salt), it looks like nothing has changed on the Infinity since the San Diego to Miami cruise.

The Infinity has dropped to 77%. That is significant. It proves that negative and "so-so" reviews are beginning to outweigh the positive reviews from CC members

It might be a good business decision to pull the Infinity out of service before it heads to South America/Antarctica and freshen it up. There is obviously something that needs addressed by management. Based on the reviews, I would think that onboard hotel/restaurant management may not be quite up to par as compared with other Celebrity ships. Considering the wonderful and pricey itineraries the Infinity serves, it should score higher than Eclipse and reflection in all categories.

On another subject, one positive thing I noticed in reading the reviews. Ambrose is still on Deck eight. He was an A plus cabin steward on our canal cruise. We had a forward Starboard side verandah.

To sum up, typically when smoke exists, there is fire somewhere.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The day that cruise lines pull ships out of service for a 3% drop in cruise critic ratings is probably the same day rates go up a 100%. since it takes an enormous amount of money to 'pull the ship out of service' to freshen it up

We booked the Sept 18 next year trip SF to FL. We really like the M class ships however this ship has very mixed reviews and little info. It does have great trips. Maybe it should get a freshen up. When is its next dry dock?

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

We board the Infinity in late October and considering a Panama Canal cruise for next year and have also noticed more negative recent reviews. Are these negative comments due to the itinerary (Norway/fjords, etc.), a more picky group of cruisers, or perhaps a work weary staff? Not sure why the reviews are not more positive as we enjoyed the sister ship Summit in 2013 very much. We prefer the smaller ships and hoping Celebrity is also looking at these reviews and evaluating and making adjustments so that we find the outstanding service and cuisine we've come to expect of Celebrity on the Infinity in October as well.

About 20 months prior, we booked this years April Panama Canal cruise. Back then, I remember the Infinity was rated at or above 80%.

The Infinity has dropped to 77%. That is significant. It proves that negative and "so-so" reviews are beginning to outweigh the positive reviews from CC members

I seldom look at reviews but I took a peek after your post and Infinity is at 73% approval. However, Millennium is at 69%. I will be reporting back once we board on September 12th. Millennium will be our home for the next two months (almost).

I'll be posting a live from the infinity thread on the TA next month....with pros and cons and changes I notice.

Great - we will be looking forward to your live review as we probably will be boarding right after you. Wishing you a great cruise.:)

We were on the Millennium in 2012 and Infinity last year. It was our first time on both ships. We enjoyed the cruises but decided after the Infinity cruise that, even though we prefer smaller ships, we missed what the S class ships have to offer, especially the choice of specialty restaurants. Now, if either ship sailed the Pacific Coastal cruise, we'd be back on in a heartbeat!

I would suggest reading the all the reviews, especially those that give 1 or 2 stars. I'm an avid review reader and I can't believe the reason some give for giving these lower marks.

You are right on the money with this comment. I usually only read the ratings that are poor....especially if I have sailed on the ship a time or two before. I agree that some of the things others complain about are just ridiculous. If they make a valid point, then I will take the criticism seriously. But, if it was something like there was one time, the toilet didn't flush...but then it worked 10 minutes later or if they didn't get their towel animals or they felt like the purser didn't greet him loud enough ...well, you get the point ... I simply chalk it up to 'thank goodness I don't live with someone like that'. Now, if the food was spoiled or the cabin steward never cleaned the bathroom, I may look for others who have said the same and see if I can identify a trend.

The Infinity happens to be one of my favorite ships and hopefully, she didn't really go that far downhill since I have last sailed on her.

I would suggest reading the all the reviews, especially those that give 1 or 2 stars. I'm an avid review reader and I can't believe the reason some give for giving these lower marks.

Could you give a few? I read a good bit of reviews about products I am buying for clients and agree, sometimes the reviewer will give it one star because the product was not what they THOUGHT it was, even though they write that it's what the specs said it was. Crazy!

We were on the infinity in June, our first M class cruise after six Solstice class. We knew the ship wouldn't be the same, it's an older ship so we didn't expect too much. It was fantastic, the ship is in great condition, our cabin was lovely, service faultless, it was everything our other cruises had been and more, we fell in love with Infinity and would sail her again in a heartbeat :)

About 20 months prior, we booked this years April Panama Canal cruise. Back then, I remember the Infinity was rated at or above 80%. In reading the current reviews (again, all reviews must be taken with a grain of salt), it looks like nothing has changed on the Infinity since the San Diego to Miami cruise.

It might be a good business decision to pull the Infinity out of service before it heads to South America/Antarctica and freshen it up. There is obviously something that needs addressed by management. Based on the reviews, I would think that onboard hotel/restaurant management may not be quite up to par as compared with other Celebrity ships. Considering the wonderful and pricey itineraries the Infinity serves, it should score higher than Eclipse and reflection in all categories.

On another subject, one positive thing I noticed in reading the reviews. Ambrose is still on Deck eight. He was an A plus cabin steward on our canal cruise. We had a forward Starboard side verandah.

Mike

I would think that a change from 80% to 77% or 83% is not significant and would be within the margin of error. I am not sure if that makes you feel any better. The 80% number is certainly low enough to be of concern IMO. Although I would think in general negative reviews would have a higher probability of being posted than positive reviews.

Mike

I don't think it's at all reasonable to expect a ship the age of Infinity to score higher than the Eclipse and Reflection which are two of the newest ships and in a completely different class!!!

Could you give a few? I read a good bit of reviews about products I am buying for clients and agree, sometimes the reviewer will give it one star because the product was not what they THOUGHT it was, even though they write that it's what the specs said it was. Crazy!
Here are a few I remember, but don't remember which ship.

• The swimming pool is too small.
  • Only given 4 entrees to choose from.
  • Specialty restaurant was too fancy, they wouldn't let son in in shorts and polo shirt (which btw he was better dressed like that then most of the other passengers) and they didn’t like that the chef offered them a free appetizer, because they didn’t like caviar.
  • They served too much salmon in Alaska.
  • 50 people were in the pool.
  • Captain had a big ego.
  • Charged full price for dinner in Qsine, which no one told them they were going to do.
  • Embarkation wasn’t faster than another other cruise line.
  • Portions in MDR were too small.
  • Raffle was won by someone who purchased a lot of tickets and that was not fair.
  • Elevators are too small.
  • They made the special soup for my daughters and it didn't taste good.
  • Cabin looked smaller than the picture.

We were on the infinity in June, our first M class cruise after six Solstice class. We knew the ship wouldn't be the same, it's an older ship so we didn't expect too much. It was fantastic, the ship is in great condition, our cabin was lovely, service faultless, it was everything our other cruises had been and more, we fell in love with Infinity and would sail her again in a heartbeat :)

We, too, had a fabulous cruise on Infinity in July :). Staff, crew and services were great. We particularly enjoyed our FV cabin and couldn't fault our room steward (Daniel).

As I previously stated on another thread, the only thing we felt lacking was the amount of available activities during the day: the trivia, quizzes etc. venues were very overcrowded. I presume the reduction in activity staff has resulted in providing fewer options to the passengers, hence everyone attending the only available event scheduled at any one time.

DH and I were on the Infinity on the transatlantic in April of this year. A+ cruise in all aspects--best waiter and assistant of all of our nine =X= cruises, fine cabin attendant and assistant. All staff seemed to do backflips in order to provide outstanding service. The ship was shipshape, well maybe there was a bit of rust around the window next to our seat in the MDR, but we didn't fret. Oh yes, the crossing was very smooth.

Betsy

DH and I were on the Infinity on the transatlantic in April of this year. A+ cruise in all aspects--best waiter and assistant of all of our nine =X= cruises, fine cabin attendant and assistant. All staff seemed to do backflips in order to provide outstanding service. The ship was shipshape, well maybe there was a bit of rust around the window next to our seat in the MDR, but we didn't fret. Oh yes, the crossing was very smooth.

Betsy

Rust? Did you say "rust"? On a ship that is on the ocean 24/7 and 365 days a year? The horror of it all!!! If I had to put up with that, AND a possible carpet stain somewhere in the ship, I would instantly take my business elsewhere. That would teach the bean counters in their cushy offices on land.

I wouldn't feel safe on a ship with a spot of rust AND a carpet stain. :mad:

Edited by boogs

We were on the Millennium in 2012 and Infinity last year. It was our first time on both ships. We enjoyed the cruises but decided after the Infinity cruise that, even though we prefer smaller ships, we missed what the S class ships have to offer, especially the choice of specialty restaurants. Now, if either ship sailed the Pacific Coastal cruise, we'd be back on in a heartbeat!

Both of these ships will be doing Pacific coastal's to and from Alaska in 2015

Edited by LeftcoastBC

Both of these ships will be doing Pacific coastal's to and from Alaska in 2015
Maybe I should have been more specific. The Pacific Coastal cruises we're interested in are not Alaska cruises. We've done that. We want to do the California wine cruises which the Century did last year. I don't see them listed for next year on any Celebrity ship. Are they available and I'm just not seeing them?

It doesn't necessarily prove they were outweighing the positive reviews., just that the ratio of positive to negative has fallen. In all likelihood the ratio of is still well above 50%. A quick run through the recent reviews shows that 4 star or more reviews are vastly more common than 2 star or less (or even 3 star or less).

Ships will always have falling ratings as they get older, particularly when there are far newer ships to compare them with, even in the same fleet. It doesn't necessarily mean the ship has changed, just some people's expectations.

Edited by gek

We were on the Infinity twice in 15 months and I could tell a huge difference in the officers and staff on the different itineraries. We had two different captains, two different hotel managers, two different cruise directors, two different maître 'd's in Blu, two different cabin stewards etc.

One captain was accessible and pleasant and the other was glum and hiding in hopes he too would not get the dreaded Noro.

The infrastructure seemed unchanged. The ship was spotless, the food in Blu and the specialty restaurants was very good. We only ate breakfast and/or lunch in the MDR a couple of times.

If I had rated the sailings, which I did not, I would have given higher marks to the sailing with efficient, pleasant, officers.

Maybe I should have been more specific. The Pacific Coastal cruises we're interested in are not Alaska cruises. We've done that. We want to do the California wine cruises which the Century did last year. I don't see them listed for next year on any Celebrity ship. Are they available and I'm just not seeing them?

Been trying get exact itineraries but not have much luck on X website. I did error on the Millie though it goes back over to Asia via Ak. Infinity's last Ak trip ends up in San Fran via Victoria Astoria and maybe another us port but like I said the site keeps dropping off. Not much of a wine trip but basically the same as yrs past but they call it "Golden light" or something this yr. not what u are looking for I agree.

Sorry to get your hopes up. Solstice goes back to austrailia from Vancouver via Hawaii.