Food Preferences - what would you like to see improved????

skiiergirl

I am just curious what restaurants do you like and feel are good when you are home?

I tend to like more local restaurants (non chain) who work with more locally sourced food, but I'm not against chain places at times either like longhorn, PF changs, cantina loredo, Cracker Barrel, etc... I just think that if I'm going to eat high caloric food it should be very good and fresh tasting (non-banquet style).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by thebooth

I agree with the poster who said not to stack food on top of other food on the plate.

I always request that this not be done and if it comes out stacked, it goes back.

It just drives me crazy. That is typically something that "fancy" restaurants do (no idea why) but there is NOTHING fancy about mass-produced MDR food. And, I'd just prefer that my food not touch other foods.

Eating in the MDR for a whole week; is like attending one realllllly long wedding reception as far as food goes (IMO, obviously).

I tend to like more local restaurants (non chain) who work with more locally sourced food, but I'm not against chain places at times either like longhorn, PF changs, cantina loredo, Cracker Barrel, etc... I just think that if I'm going to eat high caloric food it should be very good and fresh tasting (non-banquet style).

Well you know going into a cruise vacation that feeding the amount of people they have to feed it will be 'banquet style'........so there is no way that you can be satisfied.....regardless of what they provided, because what you are expecting in the format they have to use, is unrealistic.

From my personal experience, the food served in the MDR (as one example) is much better than that served at Longhorn's and Cracker Barrel. Cracker Barrel is only a restaurant that I would go to if I need a roadside stop when travelling the highways of America. PF Changs offers very good food and some unique menu options. I will say that Izumi as one example, would definitely give you as good a dining experience as PF Changs.

Edited by Paulette3028

Jack my cruise rate up $10PP or 20PP and give us ONE REAL midnight buffet per cruise. Sure it's peak gluttony and wasteful, but it was pretty awesome and a bygone cruising tradition.

It's gluttony and waste that I don't need to have. I would rather spend that money on some wonderful dessert options at dinner in MDR and real ice cream machine, not frozen yogurt.

Jack my cruise rate up $10PP or 20PP and give us ONE REAL midnight buffet per cruise. Sure it's peak gluttony and wasteful, but it was pretty awesome and a bygone cruising tradition.

Unfortunately the cruise lines seem to overlook that many want some of those "bygone cruising traditions".

But reading some threads here maybe I'm n the minority.

It's gluttony and waste that I don't need to have. I would rather spend that money on some wonderful dessert options at dinner in MDR and real ice cream machine, not frozen yogurt.

No one needs it. It is extravagant, excessive, and pure spectacle. It is a 100% departure from "real life". I don't know if you have been to one, I suspect you have, but it surely is a real :eek: and would leave a lasting impression on a new cruiser. Plus I think it lets the chefs and kitchen staff really show off some talent.

Agreed on the soft serve. On Princess I liked that they have someone in a kiosk/bar serving (12 hours a day!). It keeps things cleaner and flowing faster than unleashing a bunch of guests on a commercial machine.

This is a food thread, of course the gluttony in all of us shows a bit:D

I would like to see the Greek Salad in the Windjammer for lunch every day!

This has always been one thing that was consistently excellent across the fleet.

On our most recent 10 night Bermuda Cruise it was only served 3 times at lunch and once without the Feta Cheese!

On many ships, it is.

Well you know going into a cruise vacation that feeding the amount of people they have to feed it will be 'banquet style'........so there is no way that you can be satisfied.....regardless of what they provided, because what you are expecting in the format they have to use, is unrealistic.

From my personal experience, the food served in the MDR (as one example) is much better than that served at Longhorn's and Cracker Barrel. Cracker Barrel is only a restaurant that I would go to if I need a roadside stop when travelling the highways of America. PF Changs offers very good food and some unique menu options. I will say that Izumi as one example, would definitely give you as good a dining experience as PF Changs.

As stated in the original post........Please no criticizing of other posters wishes, thoughts, comments! Your opinions about your likes and dislikes, preferences, and wishes of the food is appreciated. No need to criticize others.

Thanks for understanding. We want to keep this thread focused on suggestions for RC not how we feel about other cruisers food choices.

I agree with the poster who said not to stack food on top of other food on the plate.

I always request that this not be done and if it comes out stacked, it goes back.

Im curious ... whats wrong with food being atop other food on the same plate? Its all going to the same place ... or

do you mean another plate on top of another plate with food on it ?

Edited by F27TW

No one needs it. It is extravagant, excessive, and pure spectacle. It is a 100% departure from "real life". I don't know if you have been to one, I suspect you have, but it surely is a real :eek: and would leave a lasting impression on a new cruiser. Plus I think it lets the chefs and kitchen staff really show off some talent.

This is a food thread, of course the gluttony in all of us shows a bit:D

Where's the 'LIKE' button on here! Well put, LMaxwell ...

THIS is what a hard earned vacation is all about for many of us ... nothing wrong with being hedonistic and indulging in our gluttonous side for a week every now and then!

and WAY less use of salt. They need more vegetarian/vegan options, too and something other than tofu as a protein source.

I'd like to see some GOOD Peruvian, Cuban and El Salvadoran food in place of or in addition to all the Indian food. Also, fresh quacamole every day!

I agree with the WAY LESS SALT! Hurray for fresh guacamole!:pyum.

I'd also like to see more fruit for dessert, healthy options other than just grilled chicken and broiled salmon, BETTER COFFEE, and more hot breakfast grab and go options in the Promenade Cafe than just the mountain of sweet donuts and pastries for breakfast. And Greek yougurt.

And DH would like to add.....bring back those shrimp salad sandwiches in the Promenade cafe! Park Cafe on all ships would be nice!

Edited by Arzeena

Im curious ... whats wrong with food being atop other food on the same place? Its all going to the same place ... or

do you mean another plate on top of another plate with food on it ?

Weird, so I am told, but I don't like different foods touching each other. I also eat only one item at a time. What if I don't like one of the stacked foods? When stacked it is then on something I like, rendering the whole meal inedible. Again, I am fully aware that this is a weird quirk. [emoji3] I think the real purpose is to make it look better than it tastes.

Edited by NemoCrownie

Tho, back to the OPs topic .. one area (and I have mentioned this in other posts before) ... and yes, I do know this is not food, necessarily .. but RC ,, please ... PLEASE ... . THE COFFEE ...

u gotta address this ... the coffee served in WJ and MDR is disgusting. MANY other people on here have noticed and commented ... its HORRIBLE, nasty stuff.

And now ... here's when I get all the comments from the cheerleaders about "well, you can BUY premium coffee at .. " .. .or ... "well any coffee that's free is OK by me .... " ...or ... "just add more milk" ... blah blah ....

NO... its nasty bitter cheap jet fuel crap they are serving. (And yes, I did leave this as a comment after my last cruise).

There. Don't venting.

Weird, so I am told, but I don't like different foods touching each other. I also eat only one item at a time. What if I don't like one of the stacked foods? When stacked it is then on something I like, rendering the whole meal inedible. Again, I am fully aware that this is a weird quirk. [emoji3] I think the real purpose is to make it look better than it tastes.

I also think it was a way to make small portions look bigger.

When I ate beef, I always found that the beef in the "stack" was never cooked as I'd requested, it was always underdone.

I want every food item on my plate to be by itself. I have eaten many meals this way and they were appetizing and visually appealing, too.

Edited by Bookish Angel

Im curious ... whats wrong with food being atop other food on the same place? Its all going to the same place ... QUOTE]

Good one. LOL.

Seriously, almost any restaurant, chef, menu, television or county fair food contest is judged not only on the taste of the presentation but on the visual presentation as well.

I don't think military mess trays would add to anyone's dining experience or win any first place awards.

There is a difference however in how a dish is built. A Mickey D's burger looks good with a fluffy bun, crisp lettuce, juicy red tomato and little corners of cheese gently peeking out over a well grilled burger. But if it, as is the case most of the time, looks like it was run through the wringer on an old washing machine and flattened to where it could fit in a DVD slot it really loses its appeal.

OMO

bosco

I think they try hard on food presentation. When I was a child I had the typical food fetish about things touching, I don't like a lot of interaction between foods on my plate, but I have gotten beyond that and learned to move things around to suit me.

I'm not real sure why having the shrimp, asparagus or other item laid on top of the steak, which I move to another side of the plate to eat would contaminate the entire meal for some folks. If the culprit is having a corner of the meat on the potatoes, I move the meat over, etc. I realize not everyone is going to serve my food exactly as I would at home or serving myself from the buffet so I get over myself and move on. ;)

In addition to my earlier comments about biscuits, etc - I would love to see more variety in vegetables. I know the green stuff is only going to last so long on a 7+ night cruise, but the more perishable can be served the first few days.

Edited by temple1

LOL .. ok so I'm probably gonna be called a racist for this (and what doesn't get a white person called 'racist' nowadays) .. but I remember this being a black people thing.

All my years of working as a server and later a cook, I remember black folks always specifying and getting tacky over their food touching on a plate .. apparently its a big no-no! :eek::D

So yes, Nemo .. I have heard of this before!

Don't know where I got this food phobia. It's not genetic.

Not exactly a phobia, but I will eat or drink anything that walks, crawls or grows or I will at least give it a try. One look at guacamole and I walk the other way. Never smelled or tasted it and never will. ???

bosco

As stated in the original post........Please no criticizing of other posters wishes, thoughts, comments! Your opinions about your likes and dislikes, preferences, and wishes of the food is appreciated. No need to criticize others.

Thanks for understanding. We want to keep this thread focused on suggestions for RC not how we feel about other cruisers food choices.

You may not like my response, but unrealistic expectations will cause disappointment -- that ISN'T something that the cruise line can resolve.

Just like I don't need people telling me 'well it is a vacation and over indulging is just fine for a week' and there are those who have stated that in one way or the other. That overindulge takes weeks to turn around. For some that overindulge NEVER leaves. Not me, since I won't overindulge and it doesn't negatively impact my cruise.

I am allowed to have an opinion and you do not have to agree :) I have been satisfied with certain food on the cruise before which I stated in my original post, so my point is that they are IMHO not doing this consistently across all venues :)