Which way?

1of4

Hard to believe - 22 posts so far on which direction to walk on the ship. Even harder to believe that I actually looked at some of them. We all must have something better to dow our lives.

DON

Some call it an escape from all those more important things some of us are escaping at the moment. :D

Some call it an escape from all those more important things some of us are escaping at the moment. :D

You've got that right Sail. I may have better things to do - but I either can't at the moment or I don't want to ;). It all depends on whose definition of "better"....

It is interesting as I sit at the window at the front of my house, I see many of my neighbors walking. It is about even, they go both ways.

When I go to an event where there are lots of tables of displays (art fair for instance) I tend to go toward the right. I read somewhere that right-handed people do that more often than the other way.

However, on board any ship that I have been on, it appears that counter-clockwise is the norm. One walker actually commented to me about those folks who were walking against the flow. I like to irritate people, so I go a couple of laps one way and a couple of laps the other way. Many look at me strangely. Of course, that happens a lot anyway.

Jim

It is interesting as I sit at the window at the front of my house, I see many of my neighbors walking. It is about even, they go both ways.

When I go to an event where there are lots of tables of displays (art fair for instance) I tend to go toward the right. I read somewhere that right-handed people do that more often than the other way.

However, on board any ship that I have been on, it appears that counter-clockwise is the norm. One walker actually commented to me about those folks who were walking against the flow. I like to irritate people, so I go a couple of laps one way and a couple of laps the other way. Many look at me strangely. Of course, that happens a lot anyway.

Jim

Seriously? :eek:

You purposely go against the flow just to irritate people?

Well, at least you are honest. :p :)

I wonder if the direction we walk has something to do with the side of the road we drive on? Do those that drive on the right go counter clockwise and those that drive on the left clockwise?

I have wondered that too. And I noticed a lot of times when we're in countries that drive on the left side of the road, people walk on the left too! Anyone else notice this? We found ourselves walking to the left too, just so we weren't going against the tide. :p

Jim

You are funny!!

The Olympic runners (on foot or on bikes) run counterclockwise.

The Ben Hur chariot race was counterclockwise.

The Monaco, Indiana and Minneapolis car races are done counterclockwise. Etc.

Also, the lower promenade is quite narrow (especially where there are transat chairs). It is much easier when everybody walks the same way. :D

But of course there will always be odd ones who think that they should be different. Should I say who think that they 'have the right' to be different. It is my vacation....

Why would that 'social rule' apply to moi ???

Edited by happyglobetrotter

No idea what ship, sorry. Not even sure if it's a HAL vessel or not. I didn't take this photo, but I do remember seeing a similar sign on board the Rotterdam years ago.

I was just about to post that I don't think that is a HAL ship (because of the spelling of "meter/metre" and the use of "round" instead of "lap" or some other word. This reads like a Cunard or other British sign.

On the original question, maybe it depends on what hemisphere you're in, like water down the drain.:-)

Edited by DrTee
add a thought

first thing I am going to do when I board the Prinsendam on Sunday is to go looking to see if there is a sign.

Be sure to let us know! And have a great trip! I'm getting on when you're getting off (beginning to think I chose the wrong itinerary--very little activity in the roll call).