Travel Insurance Worth it?

Googz333

Hi there,

I just got a quote for travel insurance, and it was pretty pricey (close to $400). In your opinion, do you think it's worth it? I've gone on 4 cruises before and never had it, but I'm also flying the morning of the cruise in December. Thanks!

Hi there,

I just got a quote for travel insurance, and it was pretty pricey (close to $400). In your opinion, do you think it's worth it? I've gone on 4 cruises before and never had it, but I'm also flying the morning of the cruise in December. Thanks!

It will be if you need it. My opinion, just figure it in to the cost of your trip every time. Another thing to consider, a lot of health insurance plans won't cover you out of the U.S.!

Hi there,

Not knowing the details of your coverage, $400 is more than we have paid for any cruise, up to 13 days.

I'd try some of the well-known travel insurance quote sites:

www.insuremytrip.com

www.squaremouth.com

www.quotewright.com

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com

How many people are going for that 400.00 quote. I think that seems high. We have six in our family and we might have gotten close to 400.00 but we have six people. Please get insurance. You never know what is going to happen. I've told this story 100 times, but a month before I was ready to cruise my doctor told me I needed a histerectomy(sp?)that day! and that I had breast cancer and needed surgery and my 11 yr old daughter had her appendix rupture (that was a month apart)., but anything can happen and you don't want to lose that money that you put into your vacation.

Does sound pricey... But this is what you have to consider with insurance....can you afford to lose the money you've spent on your vacation IF something were to happen where you couldn't go, or had to cut short your trip? If you could absorb the financial loss, then you don't need insurance! If it would hurt your pocketbook too much, then insurance simply insures you won't lose that money!

I have only used my Travel Insurance twice:

- Once when I had a Heart Attack three weeks before the cruise. Insurance was with RCI and they immediately refunded 50% of the cost and I had to get papers completed by my Doctor to get the rest which took about 6 weeks.

- Once when my last Wife went into the hospital a week before the cruise. She did not survive. The insurance was with a company that my T/A used and within a month, I had a full refund.

Travel Insurance, Don't leave Home Without It!

I usually figure on about 10% of the cruise price for the premium. Rates vary widely between plans, even different versions of the same named plan, so compare. Try insure my trip .com

Pre-existing condition waivers and cancel for any reason options will increase the cost of your plan.

Edited by marci22

In your opinion, do you think it's worth it? I've gone on 4 cruises before and never had it...

Your question is valid and can be asked about any kind of insurance - health, car, home, fire, life, trip, etc. You only "need" the insurance when something goes wrong and you have to make a claim.

Having said that, we always take trip insurance and have had to use it only once. That was last year, after my cancer diagnosis. Devastating. But... we got every single penny back. So obviously, yes, it was "worth it".

This is a highly personal decision that only you can make. :)

Opinions vary and of course those that have had the unfortunate need to use the insurance feel it is invaluable. Obviously most never have to use it but I recognize the peace of mind that it give many may be worth the cost.

IMHO I generally don't need the insurance. I have set aside the $$ to pay for my cruise which means that I can afford the cruise. If I had to cancel or missed the cruise I would be really, really pissed but it would not change my financial lifestyle. I have good medical insurance that does cover me out of the country. The only thing that could cause an issue is evacuation insurance. I have purchased an annual policy when I went to Africa and to Peru during the same year. I will probably purchase it again.

Some of my cruises have been quite pricey for 2 people ($12k for 2) and the insurance has approached 10% of the fare. For those prices I take the gamble without it and I have saved more than enough by not purchasing insurance that I will stay ahead no matter what.

Most people here will extol it's virtues. But might doesn't necessarily make right. It is an entirely personal decision. I have MedJetAssist, for medical evacuation back to home. But I have no need for any additional trip insurance. Therefore, for me, it's NOT worth it.

Travel Insurance to cover the cost of a trip is an investment question only you can answer. For me, it's not where I choose to invest. But if it works for you, then so be it.

The cost of travel insurance is based on the length of the cruise, the age of the passengers, and the type of insurance purchased. So, $400 might be quite reasonable for a longer or higher priced cruise.

We only get travel insurance if the cost of the cruise is over a certain amount.

I usually get CruiseCare, because many of the other expenses surrounding the cruise (air, hotel, other transportation) are covered by my credit card. I've had two different cards send me emails in the last 10 days telling me they've increased the travel cancellation and interruption benefits for travel purchases made with these cards.

I'm double protected with CruiseCare, because I get 75% of the cost back from them, plus the rest from my credit card company. This is assuming I meet the requirements for putting in a claim to begin with.

Most major health insurance companies cover international claims, so everyone should check their policies, or call their provider's customer care line.

I have AirMed for a year, because medical evacuation is very expensive and usually pay first/get reimbursed. We have several long trip from Spring 2014 to Spring 2015, so I bought AirMed on a monthly basis for a year. It's $420 for a YEAR for TWO people.

To answer the OP's question: yes, travel insurance is worth it if you have health issues, non-covered medical outside the US, or paid a lot for the trip. However, be picky about what kind of coverage you want.

Edited by pcur

Keep in mind the different parts of the insurance...most people seem to lump them together because a lot of policies are sold with all of the different parts together.

Cancellation - you get sick before the trip and can't go, lose your job, work emergency...up to "cancel for any reason"

Interruption - your flight to the ship gets cancelled, or you miss the ship and have to fly to the next port, or someone at home gets severely sick and you need to cut your trip short...that sort of thing.

Medical for when you're actually on the trip

You have to figure out what you're paying for and if you actually need that coverage.

My parents have overpaid for insurance a bunch of times because their extended health plan covers international travel, up to $500K, and they didn't know that. (In Canada, we have our provincial health care, and many of us have extended health through employers that covers things like prescriptions, glasses, physio, etc...plus a lot of them cover travel). They just bought the insurance the travel agent recommended, cancellation and medical. I have the same extended health and asked my mom why she was paying for medical insurance on a trip we were booking together...she had no idea she already had coverage.

We book with a credit card that covers cancellation/interruption (up to a yearly maximum), and extended health for the medical. In fact, I think the credit card covers emergency medical while on the trip too, but the coverage on our extended health is better.

Edited by gi_pam

There are other options. I have a rewards credit card that includes almost the same coverage's that travel insurance does. In some instances (especially weather related) it's even better. And, it doesn't me cost a dime extra.

If you use a rewards card, be sure and check what's covered for travel. You may be pleasantly surprised.

We always buy it, and only used it once. I feel it's definitely worth it.

Just remember, it's not just a matter of losing out on the price of the cruise; it covers so much more. Sure, first is possible trip cancellation, but also trip delay if you miss your flight or connection (always for a covered reason) , medical expenses incurred during your trip, medical evacuation , loss or theft of your property, loss or delay of your luggage. Some policies cover auto insurance for your rental, and even life/ flight insurance, .

As for that price you were quoted, either you have some very thorough coverages, or you chose preexisting waiver after final payment, or it's a very pricey trip. Shop around for a better price.

I buy it for medical evacuation peace of mind. Upcoming cruise insurance cost me and husband $345.00. Peace of mind; priceless. Really depends how comfortable you are with the risk.

Yes, the medical evacuation part is what always has bothered me, too. HOWEVER, what still bothers me is many of the insurance policies are still pay first, get reimbursed. Air evacuation can be seriously expensive, so I keep a high limit credit card at a zero balance just in case.

This year and next with multiple trips, I just got the AirMed to take care of it for all the trips.

It could be free for a reason. Just cause it is free doesn't mean it will cover what you might need. Be sure to read the terms and conditions carefully.

I have and it does. The free insurance covers you for cancellations up to the day of departure. Then I pay an additional about $45.00 pp for the extended coverage while on the cruise mostly for medical evacuation as others have said. I have had several in our party have had to cancel after final payment and it was alwasy paid in full.