Travel Electric Blanket?

bling19572010

I'm looking for a travel size electric blanket for my elderly mother for our cruise in Feb. Does anyone have one or know where to purchase a good one? Thank you.

Be advised that these may or may not be allowed onboard, depending on ship/embarkation port and how strict security is.

An industry insider outlines why heat producing electrical items are generally banned:

It may help a bit if you understand how ships electrical systems work.

Nearly all cruise ships are built in Europe, where the standard voltage is 220v.

Nearly all the tools used by the construction workers who build the ships are 220v.

Nearly all the electrical machines installed onboard are purchased in Europe, so they are 220v.

Cruise Lines know that around 50% or more of their passengers are from North America, where the standard voltage is 110v. They also know that many North Americans are electrically challenged and often have machines and toys that are 110v ONLY. So the cruise lines install step down transformers in accommodations areas, reducing the 220 volt power to 110 volts. That allows them to install a LIMITED number of 110 volt receptacles in passenger cabins. That word LIMITED is very important.

Step down transformers for ships are very large, very expensive, and they create quite a bit of heat. The more power they handle, the hotter they get - and the more noise they make.

They are usually installed in the void spaces between passenger cabins - not far from the pillow you sleep on at night.

Passenger cabins are pre-fabricated on land, and then slid aboard on tracks after the ship is built. Wiring and plumbing are already installed in the cabins before they arrive at the ship. Once the cabins are placed, the wiring and plumbing are connected to the ship's systems.

The cabins are grouped electrically into 3's and 4's to allow them to share the step down generators.

Each group of 3 or 4 cabins shares the same electrical circuits. This is a very important concept to understand.

Under most conditions, this sharing of the electrical system is not a problem. But occasionally the occupants of all 3 or 4 cabins decide to use their own high wattage electric hair dryers at the same time. If the hair dryers happen to be 220v machines, the system is overloaded and (hopefully) the breaker switch trips to cut the power and avoid a fire. When this breaker switch is tripped, all power to all 3 or 4 cabins goes off. An electrician must be called to re-set the breakers.

But sometimes those passengers have high wattage 110 volt machines in use at the same time. This not only overloads the wiring, but it also overloads the step down generator supplying the power. If the breaker switches do not cut the power before the generator overheats, there could be a fire starting in the space between your cabins.

So we have several challenges happening here.

1. Passengers who bring high wattage equipment onboard and potentially start fires in the cabin when they forget to turn them off.

2. Passengers who bring high wattage equipment onboard and black out their cabin - and their neighbors' cabins - when the electrical system is overloaded.

3. Passengers who bring high wattage electrical equipment onboard and inadvertently start fires by overloading the step down generators for their cabins.

Bearing in mind that many passengers leave their brains at home when they take a cruise. Nearly every passenger who has started a fire in his/her cabin by doing something stupid has said to me, <Gosh I have never done anything like that before>. And that is why the cruise lines do not want you bringing high wattage heat producing machines onboard our ships.

Is this a gag post?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My elder mother is in a wheelchair, has a plate holding her hip together and is post-polio. She has a lot of aches and pains and I was just trying to make her trip more comfortable for her. On her last cruise she was let onboard with an electric blanket. We were not aware that an electric blanket was not allowed onboard.

Why do people have to be insensitive???

Ever since the fire on a Princess ship a few years ago, all the cruise lines have gotten tough as to what electrical items you can bring on board.

Something else -- there may not even be an outlet near the bed to plug in the blanket or heating pad.

In which case most brainless people will bring along an 18 gauge extension cord and run it 25 feet to power up their prohibited devices which already draw too much current without taking into account the voltage drop over an undersized conductor......

My elder mother is in a wheelchair, has a plate holding her hip together and is post-polio. She has a lot of aches and pains and I was just trying to make her trip more comfortable for her. On her last cruise she was let onboard with an electric blanket. We were not aware that an electric blanket was not allowed on board.

Why do people have to be insensitive???

We had a post from somebody who wanted to use an electric blanket on her balcony during an Alaska cruise. In addition to the electrical issues, she would have had to run an extension cord through her open balcony door.

Nobody is trying to be insensitive to your mother's needs nor are cruise lines trying to make things difficult for her. The electrical systems are not designed for high demand, heat generating items.

I doubt very much that a note from a physician would override a safety rule.

You'd be surprised. Ladies hair appliances override the safety rule, and the cruise lines allow them simply because of the backlash that would be involved. With a prescription for a heating pad, the ship is now aware that the appliance in question is being used, and what cabin it is in, so extra surveillance of the cabin can be made.