Needing medicine

Daydaes

While on board if my husband and I became ill and needed antibiotics, how does our co-pay for the meds work? Would it be better to be pro-active and ask our Dr to prescribe an antibiotic to take with us? I am prone to getting bladder infections and don't want to be in the middle of the ocean and not be able to get the meds I need.

While on board if my husband and I became ill and needed antibiotics, how does our co-pay for the meds work? Would it be better to be pro-active and ask our Dr to prescribe an antibiotic to take with us? I am prone to getting bladder infections and don't want to be in the middle of the ocean and not be able to get the meds I need.

I'm not sure how it works - my Dr always gives me a course of broad-spectrum antibiotics to take with me, just in case. As you have a recurring problem, I'm sure it would be a good idea for you to take some with you that are for that particular problem.

That probably depends on your insurance(s) (health and trip insurances).

You might just want to get- and fill- a rx from your doc so you have it in case.

You might also want to ask your provider about bringing along some Pyridium too. :)

Edited by TiogaCruiser

The cost of any treatment received on board, including meds, is added to your on-board account. You can submit to your insurance company for reimbursement when you return home.

Remember, when you are treated on the ship, you are not being treated in the USA. Some US medical plans won't cover you outside the country. That's where your travel insurance will come in to play.

I always get a prescription filled for antibiotics before we go on a cruise. In fact I take a small stockpile of any medicine we might possibly need, i.e. Benadryl, Imodium, Gravol, etc., and cold meds as well. Usually I bring everything home with me, too. I count it as insurance!

You will have to pay everything out of pocket and then submit for reimbursement. If your medical insurance doesn't pay (it probably won't, or very little) your travel insurance should pick up some if not all of the cost.

When I needed treatment on the Prinsendam in the Amazon, I submitted the paperwork to my HMO. They covered all but a $20 copay. I submitted the $20 claim to my travel insurance, and they paid immediately.

DH said it was a waste of time to do all that to recover a modest amount, but I wanted to see if filing claims really worked...it did!

I always take a supply of drugs, including Cipro, for travelers diarrhea. Better safe than sorry!:)

Karen

It worries me that people diagnose and treat themselves. I've been to the Infirmary twice, and my travel insurance covered it (reimbursed me).

When someone is ill on ship, though, especially if there is a fever, it potentially puts the rest of us at risk, and the medical staff should know and act accordingly. I was confined to my cabin while I had a fever over a certain level. That wasn't fun, of course, but I would rather do that than make other people sick.

I think if there are medicines that you regularly take, it's a good idea to have a supply with you, whether it's antibiotics or whatever. That said, I do usually call the nurse and let the sick bay know I'm under the weather, just because I know the stewards are going to be concerned about me if I take to my bed!

As I said, I usually just bring everything home with me! I have all my antibiotics and stuff from the last cruise still with me, and I've checked expiry dates and discussed getting new with my doctor for a couple of things, so I'm set.

It must be noted that if you are injured on board or on any HAL-sponsored excursion, all of your treatment is without charge to you. This also includes follow-up care when you return home.

Is that consistently always the case?

I'm grateful neither of us was ever hurt or had an accident on a ship but I thought it might be case by case basis as to medical care if the accident or incident happened on the ship.

Thanks if you can clarify for me.

It worries me that people diagnose and treat themselves. I've been to the Infirmary twice, and my travel insurance covered it (reimbursed me).

When someone is ill on ship, though, especially if there is a fever, it potentially puts the rest of us at risk, and the medical staff should know and act accordingly. I was confined to my cabin while I had a fever over a certain level. That wasn't fun, of course, but I would rather do that than make other people sick.

When you are prone to developing certain conditions you recognize the symptoms only too well and don't need a doctor to tell you what is going on. My doctor is quite comfortable is prescribing an antibiotic for me to use should I have a recurring problem on a cruise.

I am intelligent enough to realise when I have unfamiliar symptoms and the need to consult a doctor in that case.

Is that consistently always the case?

I'm grateful neither of us was ever hurt or had an accident on a ship but I thought it might be case by case basis as to medical care if the accident or incident happened on the ship.

Thanks if you can clarify for me.

I cannot speak for all cases. My information was gathered from a number of CC members we have met at Meet & Greets, CC Forums, HAL waiting areas, and discussions with ship's medical staff.

During Joanie's visit to the Infirmary for a finger crushed in our verandah door, we met a lady who was charged $86 for an ace bandage. Joanie's treatment, blood tests, antibiotics, and pain meds were without charge.

One CC member, who slipped and broke her hip, stated that she was even provided a compensating (free) cruise in addition to her treatment until recovery.

By providing complete medical care for accidents that may be determined to be negligence on the part of the ship, Hal's risk of very expensive negligence lawsuits is diminished. HAL's Code Orange might be a declaration of "We are taking every precaution to prevent the noro virus."

Edited by Crew News

I'm not sure how it works - my Dr always gives me a course of broad-spectrum antibiotics to take with me, just in case. As you have a recurring problem, I'm sure it would be a good idea for you to take some with you that are for that particular problem.

If you have a recurring problem and you regularly take a specific medicine for the problem, bringing some of that medicine on board is not a bad idea. However bringing a medicine such as a broad-spectrum antibiotic just in case you get sick is, in my opinion, just plain stupid.

If you feel badly, you have no idea what is wrong with you unless you happen to be a physician. You are going to self diagnose yourself, decide what you may or may not have, and then take a medicine to treat or maybe not to treat the problem that you think you may have. Taking the antibiotic may lead your body to mask symptoms. It may also be that what you have is not treatable with antibiotics. Finally, this idea that antibiotics are good for whatever ails us leads to more drug resistant bugs.

Are you planning to self treat yourself because you do not want to pay for the services the the person on the ship who can figure out what is wrong w you - the ship physician?

You would not try to extract your own teeth or do an appendectomy on yourself. Why do you think that popping antibiotics or any medication when you do not know what is wrong w you is any different?

DON

If you have a recurring problem and you regularly take a specific medicine for the problem, bringing some of that medicine on board is not a bad idea. However bringing a medicine such as a broad-spectrum antibiotic just in case you get sick is, in my opinion, just plain stupid.

If you feel badly, you have no idea what is wrong with you unless you happen to be a physician. You are going to self diagnose yourself, decide what you may or may not have, and then take a medicine to treat or maybe not to treat the problem that you think you may have. Taking the antibiotic may lead your body to mask symptoms. It may also be that what you have is not treatable with antibiotics. Finally, this idea that antibiotics are good for whatever ails us leads to more drug resistant bugs.

Are you planning to self treat yourself because you do not want to pay for the services the the person on the ship who can figure out what is wrong w you - the ship physician?

You would not try to extract your own teeth or do an appendectomy on yourself. Why do you think that popping antibiotics or any medication when you do not know what is wrong w you is any different?

DON

Take up the issue with my GP. I think he knows more than you.

It must be noted that if you are injured on board or on any HAL-sponsored excursion, all of your treatment is without charge to you. This also includes follow-up care when you return home.

I sorry this is a dangerous and inaccurate picture....You need to make sure you have travel insurance that provides & pays for medical care both onboard and on shore.

Just because you have an onboard injury or accident you can not depend on the Cruiseline to decide it's their fault and cover the cost.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our family doctor does provide antibiotics for us to take on cruises.

He knows what medications we are taking and what antibiotics won't interfere with our medications.

DITTO--- both of us take numerous medications for various medical conditions and our primary doctor wants us to begin antibiotics that she has prescribed immediately if we begin to feel that we may be coming down with bronchitis. Unfortunately both of us are very prone to bronchitis and one or the other or both of us frequently manage to catch bronchitis while on or just after a cruise.

DON

Don, how often do you get a bladder infection? Six times a year or more?

Is your name Donna? If not you have no idea what the OP is talking about.

Travel medicine clinics and physicians recommend taking a broad spectrum antibiotic on any travel. If you are prone to specific infections they will advise taking specific medications for use as needed. Many people have medications at home to take at the first sign of infection. We always hand carry a variety of meds that might be needed, general meds and condition specific remedies.

I sorry this is a dangerous and inaccurate picture....You need to make sure you have travel insurance that provides & pays for medical care both onboard and on shore.

Just because you have an onboard injury or accident you can not depend on the Cruiseline to decide it's their fault and cover the cost.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any passenger who suffers an accident on board or ashore even if not on a ship sponsored tour may have onboard medical treatment at no cost. Any treatment ashore is not covered and your travel insurance is needed for those costs

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Any passenger who suffers an accident on board or ashore even if not on a ship sponsored tour may have onboard medical treatment at no cost. Any treatment ashore is not covered and your travel insurance is needed for those costs

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Can you please cite where HAL states this policy of free medical care.

I know they encourage people to buy insurance, so I question the policy as you state it.

Also, this has not been our experience ... spouse fell in Guadeloupe and was injured, tho not seriously ... onboard medical and drug charges were added to our onboard account ... HAL did not offer free care ... our travel insurance reimbursed us.

Edited by pms4104