Foreign currencies?

MrPantsOz

I'm booked to do my first cruise next April, the Roundtrip Panama Canal with Princess. My question is (or maybe the first of many questions) do I need local currencies for the ports we visit or do most places accept USD or should I just stick with paying with my credit card? I'd probably be only looking at a few souvenirs/postcards etc, maybe a bit of lunch. Do I need to change some money before I leave home?

I'm booked to do my first cruise next April, the Roundtrip Panama Canal with Princess. My question is (or maybe the first of many questions) do I need local currencies for the ports we visit or do most places accept USD or should I just stick with paying with my credit card? I'd probably be only looking at a few souvenirs/postcards etc, maybe a bit of lunch. Do I need to change some money before I leave home?

I've done several cruises in the Caribbean, including a full transit of the Panama Canal. I have never had any trouble using US dollars in Mexico, Columbia or any of the islands in the Caribbean.

I've also used credit cards. However, be careful. I agreed to pay $40 for two belts in Mexico. The store owner rang up the charge in the local currency. When I got the bill from the bank it was for $44.

Edited by Cuizer2

The USD is accepted readily all across the Caribbean. The official currency of Panama is the USD.

Thanks very much. It's good to hear from people who have been to these places. I'll stick with USD.:)

When I did the Panama Canal cruise we didn't actually stop in Panama. There is a full day for going through the canal as it takes several hours. But the ship does not stop and let passengers off. Your cruise may be the same way.

Anyway as the others have said US dollars are welcome everywhere. If you use a credit card there may be a foreign transaction fee...usually 3%.

We always check before we travel. You talk about Panama. Only stop ?

When on Roatan, a vender wanted to sell me an antique Honduran $20 Lempura coin for only $5 US.

Hummm. At that time, a lempura was worth $0.05 cents. Lets see now. 20 X 5 equals. $1.00 US. If I buy it, bring it back to the US, take it to the bank? Wonder what they would give me for it.

http://money.cnn.com/data/currencies/

Just a thought here.