Someone is actually looking forward to Dynamic Dining

ChipLondon

ME...............

Yes with all the bashing that is going on about the yet untried DD I thought i would try to add some positivity to it.

If I am honest yes I did enjoy Traditional dining for many years, the chance to met new table mates and create long lasting friendships. if I look at my Facebook pages so many of my friends are from those days.

However over the last couple of years with cruising on The Oasis and The Allure, along with other ships that have introduced more dining options, I have found that the MDR experience has changed.

On many occasions a large table of 8-10 would have several guests dining in other locations, and along with us doing the same the, so the usual chatter around the table is often not there. Along with guests on other tables around us missing, the atmosphere around the dining room can be lacking.

This also creates situations for the dining room staff, who often struggle to build the relationship with the guests in the way that many of us have enjoyed over the years.

So by enjoying other dining options over the years am I partially responsible for the introduction of DD, possibly so.

And yes I understand all the comments about penny pinching and the company is only trying to get people to spend more money, and that the concept of DD is only based on profitability.

OF COURSE IT IS.............Royal Caribbean along with all the other cruise lines does NOT only exist to give us cheap holidays, it is a business that chooses to create profit for its shareholders by providing value for money holiday experiences.

Value for money should always be the first criteria when judging any item we choose to spend our hard earned money on, be that a Big Mac or a Big Cruise. If the product is worth what we have paid for it is value, then be happy.

That will mean that some of us will choose the basic package, and others will choose an upgraded option and partake in DD,as I will.

But it is a choice, at least we have one whereas in the older days the option was MD or WJ. Also what we pay these days for the same option is on many occasions far cheaper than what we used to pay.

For me I would be happy if there was a fixed price for seven days that could be offered as an option for DD only, and therefore I would surrender my seat in the original MDR . However with DD this gives me the option to still enjoy some upgraded dining as well as the ability to enjoy different dining rooms and menus around the ship without extra cost. So therefore I embrace the DD concept.

As for making new friends that is still an option, just walk around the ship, remembering how lucky we are to be able to cruise anyway ( with god know how many meals a day ) with a smile on your face and try saying hello to a few people, as you never know but you just might meet your new best friend that way.

Dynamic Dining ..........BRING IT ON :D

Edited by ChipLondon

I'm looking forward to it as well. I very much enjoy the traditional dining experience and at least for the immediate future, there will still be ships that offer it and with the new ships with DD, I feel spoilt for choice!

Most people don't like change but IMHO you can't dislike something you haven't tried. I'll be interested to see the reviews from Quantum once people have actually experienced it.

Hear hear ! I'm with you.

We rarely use the speciality restaurants even when we have the option of the BOGOF coupon, have always been happy enough with the MDR.

Reading the menus for the new restaurants with DD I can't wait to try them . We always do MTD now so for us DD is MTD with a rotating venue if we wish or the same venue each evening.

People should not knock something until they have tried it at least once and even then I am prepared to give something a second chance. If I had kept with my first opinion after taking our first cruise which we hated we would never have discovered the RCI product.

Clearly we have enjoyed that product for a while so bring DD on:).

Until I try it in a few weeks on 11/2 Quantum Maiden Voyage I cannot give an honest opinion on if I like it or not.

Hot tasty food cooked as requested and delivered on hot plates will make me happy.

But honestly at this moment in time I am more nervous about DD than anything else on my upcoming cruise.

With Traditional Dining and having the same waiters each night they got to know your preferences but the thought of different waiters every night and having to explain my reasons for requesting food done in a certain way, well that worries me.

Yes I could go to same restaurant every night and hopefully get the same waiter but as the menu would be the same every night then it would become just a tad boring I think.

Dining options on a cruise are not why I cruise, it is the people I meet that mean more to me than sitting in a dining room waiting nervously to see if I can eat my dinner or not without being embarassed by my choices or embarassing my fellow tablemates when I have to send back food that is not hot or I cannot eat.

So for me personally, no I am not looking forward to Dynamic Dining.

The MDR has changed, FORMAL nights(I dislike anyway)are nothing special, the food has some times better options, but over all the MDR has changed in all aspects some bad and some better. We have use MTD since it inception, so DD will be good for us. We have never had the problem of meeting or getting to know other cruisers, or not knowing LOL being able to change tables/dining venues can be a blessing.

I also think that we will see a marked difference in future Windjammer operations, the driving force behind this is LLP who came over from Celebrity, who without doubt offer a better option than The WJ. I look forward to the open grill options that will offer daily hot choices, I have also recently noticed changes in presentation of things like salads in the WJ again another improvement that is obviously similar to that on Celebrity.

We have all been asking for improvement in the food dept and over the past few years we have seen steps in the right direction as the new ships continue to offer alternatives. A great deal of this was down to FW who is no longer with the company but he started the ball rolling on its current course.

I know some of the main chefs that are involved in the changes in the free dining options and they have the talent and enthusiasm to make this work, I just hope they also have the required budgets.

Of course I may end up eating my words if my expectations are not met, but I will be the first to shout if I am disappointed :eek:

I'm also looking forward to the change but I'm getting a little push back from some members of the family. My son and daughter-in-law are planning a ten year wedding anniversary/reunion cruise for 2016 and they're not really happy with the proposed change. It surprised me because they're big fans of MTD. Hopefully enough good reviews will come in for them to give it a chance.

I never thought I would say this, but I'm also looking forward to trying Dynamic Dining. The second week of our B2B, we only had dinner in the dining room on the first night. After that, we did specialty and WJ, and really enjoyed mixing it up. The only problem I have with the concept of DD is having to make reservations so far in advance. Will reservations even be necessary for a party of 2?

One of the reasons we've booked another cruise on FOS for 2015 is so we can try out DD, in addition to seeing all the changes they'll be making to the ship. We're very curious to see what it will be like.

I too am looking forward to DD. I go to different restaurants when on land, don't need to eat with others or get to know our waiter. The bloom came off the MDR rose for us when we had a stinky (literally) table mate. Our next cruise was booked within a month of sailing so the only dinning option was MTD. It was so easy and enjoyable. Now we always choose MTD. Bring on the change, hopefully it will be wonderful.

I don't have a cruise on Quantum or Anthem booked, but I really like the idea of DD. I'm hoping Anthem stays in NJ in summer of 2016 and I can sail on her to Bermuda.

However, I just don't like the loss of traditional dining. I'm hoping that at least the Vision/Radiance Classes stay with traditional dining. I see no need to implement DD on to them, there just isn't enough room, IMO. What would we have 2 restaurant choices on those ships?? (due to the 2-tier MDR) :eek:

After looking at the menus I am having some doubts.

The Grand menu is just fine. But the Americon Icon?? I always enjoyed having things I don't cook at home or have to go to an upscale restaurant to enjoy.

Also checked out the Asian menu and just didn't see anything to excite my tastebuds. Chic looks ok too.

Will just have to wait and see how it all works out. I know that all cruise lines are always looking to attract more cruisers and try to keep the experience new and exciting.

Will be checking reviews to see how it is working

Truth be said, until the release of the Quantum, DD will remain a mystery. Mama always said don't knock something till you try it. And it's true, who knows how many of us will rave on about how wonderful it was to eat at different restaurants and trying different experiences that the restaurants will have to offer. DD sound a little bit like MTD. Correct me if I'm wrong but you can choose you dining time and come in when you want. On Allure, we choose to eat dinner at whatever time we liked, and adjusted our eating time to our liking. Because of we our dinner time varied, we usually sat in different locations almost every time. So it was hard to eat have the same waiter know what we wanted, but that the beauty of it, God has given us the ability to speak up and ask the waiter for what we'd like. I've done MDR and it's nice but doesn't have the flexibility that one might like.

I will say this though, I do like the formal nights abroad the ship. Yes with DD there will be a formal night in a restaurant. But it was something special getting dressed up and having the whole ship dressed up listening to the captain speak.

I'm looking forward to this as well.

Something that I have noticed many times on numerous threads is people complaining about the menu at American Icon Grill. I wonder if it's more the name of the venue that the actual menu.

Many of the dishes are not that far off some of the dishes on the current menus. Love the fact that there is surf n turf available every night. IMO the dishes appear to be quite a bit more upscale than your average diner.

ENTRÉES

CLASSIC SURF N’ TURF

Maine Lobster and Rib-Eye with Cottage Fries

NEW ORLEANS GUMBO

Gulf Coast Shellfish and Andouille Sausage

COLA BRAISED SHORT RIB

Red Beans and Rice with Root Vegetable Mash

PISTACHIO CRUSTED SALMON

Green Beans and Oregon Mushrooms with Vermont Maple Butter

SOUTHERN BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN

Sautéed Okra, Dirty Yams and sweet Candied Pecans

AMERICANA BURGER

Aged Cheddar, Crispy Bacon, Thousand Island Dressing and Steak Fries

APRICOT GLAZED PORK CHOP

Sweet Potato Succotash and Braised Red Cabbage

SOUTHWESTERN FETTUCCINI

Smoked Sausage, Chicken and Poblano Cream Sauce

Kids menu is available

I'm looking forward to this as well.

Something that I have noticed many times on numerous threads is people complaining about the menu at American Icon Grill. I wonder if it's more the name of the venue that the actual menu.

Many of the dishes are not that far off some of the dishes on the current menus. Love the fact that there is surf n turf available every night. IMO the dishes appear to be quite a bit more upscale than your average diner.

ENTRÉES

CLASSIC SURF N’ TURF

Maine Lobster and Rib-Eye with Cottage Fries

NEW ORLEANS GUMBO

Gulf Coast Shellfish and Andouille Sausage

COLA BRAISED SHORT RIB

Red Beans and Rice with Root Vegetable Mash

PISTACHIO CRUSTED SALMON

Green Beans and Oregon Mushrooms with Vermont Maple Butter

SOUTHERN BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN

Sautéed Okra, Dirty Yams and sweet Candied Pecans

AMERICANA BURGER

Aged Cheddar, Crispy Bacon, Thousand Island Dressing and Steak Fries

APRICOT GLAZED PORK CHOP

Sweet Potato Succotash and Braised Red Cabbage

SOUTHWESTERN FETTUCCINI

Smoked Sausage, Chicken and Poblano Cream Sauce

Kids menu is available

Tend to agree but you can't consider the the food more upscale until we experience the quality. Cruise lines have a knack of making a canned pear sound exquisite.

I grew up a Midwestern, poor farm girl who ate what we had on the farm because we did not have the money for anything else. Therefore, I enjoy beef, chicken, potatoes, and garden vegetables. As an adult, I enjoy the same things. I have never developed a taste for seafood or other new things (yes, I've tried). I am willing to accept the concept of DD, but I just want a simple chicken breast or steak, with a side of potato and salad. The menus are seafood heavy (as they are now), and lacking a basic simplicity of a salad with grilled chicken, or simple meat and potato. When I read the menus, I honestly say, "yuck." Will I go hungry? Absolutely, not. But I do not want to go to the Windjammer every night. :) I have asked the agents at RCCL and they do not know for sure if anything else will be offered. I had one tell me that she will not be using DD on her cruise with her three teenagers because they would not eat anything on the menu.

We are Diamond on Royal and we have cruised 2 times on Celebrity and truly enjoyed ourselves. Elite status is fantastic and the food is truly superb to Royal (in our opinion). We will personally decide one cruise at a time, based on these changes matching our personal preferences. I can't wait to hear the reviews after this launch.

Actually, DD was the reason we decided to book another Royal Caribbean cruise. We like the concept since it offers us more choices than the past. We never do traditional dining since it does not offer us the flexibility we desire.

Another feature we especially like is the Grande. It provides a venue for those who like to dress up and enjoy formal nights to do so while providing those like us who do not dress up other options besides the WJ or specialty restaurants.

With Traditional Dining and having the same waiters each night they got to know your preferences but the thought of different waiters every night and having to explain my reasons for requesting food done in a certain way, well that worries me.

But wouldn't you experience the same thing by going out to a restaurant?

Edited by cruisenfever

We're OK with DD, and have looked at the complimentary restaurant menus. I may be wrong, but I'm thinking if you like a certain restaurant (or two), you can make reservations for a certain table/waiter just like you can in MTD. In other words, we will likely create our own traditional dining on every cruise. This is what we do with MTD now.

It's kind of a moot point with us right now, because we don't have any cruises booked that would have DD when we embark. I'll just sit back and read the opinions in the meantime.