No more buffet for P&O Australia!

The only problem with the line is that they will always operate hand-me-down ships that have seen their better days with other lines. Unfortunately P&O has this reputation and is not seen as quality compared to the other fantastic ships we see visiting our shores. It is for that reason P&O Australia will never be a company that can compete with the likes of Celebrity and Royal Caribbean let alone the other lines like Princess and the ones affiliated with Carnival.

It's not what they are seen as but where they place themselves in the cruise market which is a budget line and everything that goes with it

This is good for all looking for that and not for others

Like all lines

They work for certain market portion

But nothing really wrong with any of them

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

:eek:

You still have to queue at the serving stations.

You just do it all on a plate, instead of on a tray. Less food you can carry at once. Celebrity introduced it to cut food waste.

I quite like that idea... I usually have a tray - I try to find a bread an butter plate and put my choices on that - but sometimes you have to pick a big plate up at the start of the line - and my serves only take up a small portion of the plate :p I only take what I want :D I sometimes thing I should take my small oval plate from home when I cruise :D

Mmmmm........I think I can feel a P&O cruise coming on AFTER 2015:eek:

Edited by dizzy1948

You still have to queue at the serving stations.

You just do it all on a plate, instead of on a tray. Less food you can carry at once. Celebrity introduced it to cut food waste.

HAL did away with trays a long time ago. There was a huge outcry from regular cruisers , but they sold it to them as a health issue ....in as much as it was helping reduce the spread of Noro.

Recently returned from a Celebrity Millenium cruise, where this system is up and running. I too, am not fond of the usual buffets, but I was overly impressed with this concept on Celebrity, and we ate there often. It took us a day to realise that the food stations were not mirrored on port/starboard sides, except for some popular items. We never had to line up. The food was always hot because of this, and the variety was excellent. For example, my steaks were still sizzling on the plate as I sat down to eat. Def a fresher, quicker, and cleaner concept.

I think this is a smart move by P&O....and they may even get me to sail with them again after decades!

Recently returned from a Celebrity Millenium cruise, where this system is up and running. I too, am not fond of the usual buffets, but I was overly impressed with this concept on Celebrity, and we ate there often. It took us a day to realise that the food stations were not mirrored on port/starboard sides, except for some popular items. We never had to line up. The food was always hot because of this, and the variety was excellent. For example, my steaks were still sizzling on the plate as I sat down to eat. Def a fresher, quicker, and cleaner concept.

I think this is a smart move by P&O....and they may even get me to sail with them again after decades!

Exactly...so the buffet becomes more of a cafe. No lining up like children at a school lunch. Food being constantly replenished so it is always hot and fresh.

Buffets properly laid out and organised need not be pig troughs .

Even the most luxurious and up market ships have buffets .

The P&O (Carnival) spin doctors may say all they like , but P&O are not introducing anything new ..... they are simply catching up with the norm .

My money is on these options costing extra.:p

How much? As a guide, Salt restaurant costs $49 pp for dinner. :eek:

The Dragon Lady,

Italian restaurant Angelo’s,

Open Kitchen,

Chef’s Table,

Cellar Door tastings,

Seafood,

Wine classes,

Whisky tasting,

Rum tasting,

Coffee appreciation classes,

Cabanas and hammocks, and

Pillow concierge.

Ms Marshall stated: “We’re not going to change the base price, but there is an opportunity for the customer to customise what they want.” Double speak for "an opportunity for P&O to increase revenue"

I suggest P&O have a look at providing a Tattoo Parlor and a Body Jewelery outlet as a means of raising extra revenue.;):p

LOl,:D

Exactly...so the buffet becomes more of a cafe. No lining up like children at a school lunch. Food being constantly replenished so it is always hot and fresh.

Buffets properly laid out and organised need not be pig troughs .

Even the most luxurious and up market ships have buffets .

The P&O (Carnival) spin doctors may say all they like , but P&O are not introducing anything new ..... they are simply catching up with the norm .

Yes, updating the ships décor and modernising the concepts at the same time.:D

I think its a good move. I'm not fond of the buffet. I always liken it to pigs in a trough at times.

Where are the cruising BOGANS going to eat with no buffet, some of them only bring shorts, thongs and singlet on board the P&O Australia ships.

Carnival USA for those that have not cruised them before have a similar system

They have separate stations in and around the buffet area that do not double or mirror the same food.

Tandoori station

New York sandwich station

Burirto Bar

Mongolian Wok

Mediterranean station/French station (different days)

American roast style station

Burger bar

Pizza Bar that doubles as a hotdog station after breakfast and before dinner.

We never queued at any station on 2 cruises but one the Mongolian wok because they cook it after you choose your ingredients so about the same as a wait form a breakfast omelette cook or the tutti salad bar on RCI.

I dont usually like buffet food but Carnivals alternative choices design is not really traditional buffet except American and Med/French:)

Edited by fishtaco

If my understanding of these changes is correct - it reminds me of the current "buffet" on Carnival Spirit and Rhapsody/Voyager of the Seas. I don't mean in regard to the use of trays or not - because I think those ships still have trays -- but they do have separate serving stations as opposed to two long serving stations which I have experienced on P&O. It is annoying to have to queue up along the "salads" section when you are only wanting to go to the hot foods section. On Spirit, these "sections" are all in different places which allows you to go direct to any one of them.

The VERY worst "buffet" we have been to is on QM2 !!!!

If my understanding of these changes is correct - it reminds me of the current "buffet" on Carnival Spirit and Rhapsody/Voyager of the Seas. I don't mean in regard to the use of trays or not - because I think those ships still have trays -- but they do have separate serving stations as opposed to two long serving stations which I have experienced on P&O. It is annoying to have to queue up along the "salads" section when you are only wanting to go to the hot foods section. On Spirit, these "sections" are all in different places which allows you to go direct to any one of them.

The VERY worst "buffet" we have been to is on QM2 !!!!

Yes, Princess and X have similar stations. I will be on the QM2 next year and I suppose will experience the buffet at some stage, although I do like to avoid the buffet areas if possible and go to the MDR instead.:D

Yes, Princess and X have similar stations. I will be on the QM2 next year and I suppose will experience the buffet at some stage, although I do like to avoid the buffet areas if possible and go to the MDR instead.:D

Very surprised to read that the buffet on the QM2 is the worst! We will try it for ourselves in March and compare it to Royal's. Agree that P&O's is not too user-friendly but if you're prepared to be patient then eventually you arrive at the area that you're interested in.

Gae

Very surprised to read that the buffet on the QM2 is the worst! We will try it for ourselves in March and compare it to Royal's. Agree that P&O's is not too user-friendly but if you're prepared to be patient then eventually you arrive at the area that you're interested in.

Gae

The buffet on QM2 is really a Food Court. It comprises 4 separate and distinct areas. Its huge and a bit confusing at first, but once you get used to it is OK.

You could walk around all 4 and then choose which one you want to use, but most people give up as its so far to walk. We just used to wander around until we found somewhere to sit and then went to the area that was nearest. At least that way your food was still hot by the time you got back to your table.:D

It goes a bit further than that -- the Buffet on QM2 is well recognised as being "difficult" -- this affect passengers actions/attitudes and this then reflects on the staff. I believe that working in the buffet of QM2 is something of a punishment detail!!!! :)

LOL:D

They are everywhere, infiltrating all cruise ships.;)

Goodness, what is the world coming to.

Next thing you know, cruise lines will change their status point systems as there were just too many people becoming ELITE ruining it for all the others :rolleyes:

P.S. I am soon to join the Elite's, their plan has not stopped me.:p

I am already ELITE with Princess - and I've never ever set foot on a Princess ship. I guess they just recognise quality when they see it??? :)

You are cheating Baz. LOL. Don't tell the Americans that you got your days up through cruising P&O UK, they will lynch you old son.