Mtd

EJ33333

We tried to just show up while on Oasis and some nights it was a 2 hour wait. Never once during the week were they able to seat us within 30 minutes. After the first night I tried to make reservations but the only times available were very late. Keep in mind this was a full sailing.

Kathy

In theory, just show up. In practice, it depends on the ship. On some ships MTD runs smooth as can be - walk in any time and be seated in a reasonable time, just like a well run restaurant. Other ships just can't make it work. Worst ever for me was a ship (I believe Voyager), heading to Asia with new crew - reservation or not they just didn't get it.

We tried to just show up while on Oasis and some nights it was a 2 hour wait. Never once during the week were they able to seat us within 30 minutes. After the first night I tried to make reservations but the only times available were very late. Keep in mind this was a full sailing.

Kathy

Same experience with Oasis (very early in Oasis's career).

All the sailings are essentially full.

There were three of us on IOS and we never had to wait more than 5 minutes. Now this was at 6:45pm so I don't know if that is an off time or not. I will be on The Allure in 5 weeks and there will be 5 of us. Sure hope that there isn't a wait as I get really cranky when I get hungry. I don't like making reservations when the point of my time dining is eating when you want.

Show up..MTDer's don't get along well with others, apparently...they don't want table mates.

We get along great with others!!

But because of our day to day very busy lives we seldom get the opportunity to eat together at home.

This is the rare time that we can actually sit at a table and enjoy a meal together and regroup as a family. Very important time for us.

If you're planning on just showing up then expect a wait during peak hours. When we were on Allure with my DS and DIL, they wouldn't take any reservations from 6:00 to 6:45 pm but that may vary depending on the demographics of your fellow passengers. We usually waited until after 7:00.

We LOVE table mates! We see each other everyday. We have heard all our stores. We LOVE eating with new people and hearing their crazy stories. Unfortunately, we always travel for Thanksgiving and so many extended families travel together most of them don't want to sit with other families.

Kathy

Can you just show up for MTD or do you need a reservation time in advance?

There are only two of us, and we don't mind sitting with other cruisers.

Thanks

I think perhaps each Cruise might be a bit different, but here's my routine...

After boarding the ship, I go to Guest Services to determine the dates/times of any of the Broadway Plays that we might be interested in. We then go immediately to the MDR and schedule our times accordingly. We ask for a table by the windows w/ a group at the same time except for the Broadway Play night.

May I suggest that if you elect to have the same dining time each night, that you go to the MDR and book your time. On our last cruise, the MTD was backed up pretty bad and some were not even sitting until 9:30 / 10pm

We love MTD and it's flexibility. Enjoy your cruise.

On Radiance in August my hubby and I eat in the main dining room 3 times using MTD on a table for 2. We choose not to eat with strangers, we just wanted our own company. We booked the 1st time, but just turned up the 2nd. We were told it was a 2 hour wait for a table for 2, they were very pushy to the point of being rude trying to get us to join a large table which we didn't want to. " wats wrong with you sit with these people " we're their actual words. We walked out and went around to the other enterance and asked for a table for 2 we were seated straight away. I think it defeats the object of MTD if you have to book, but if you want a particular table then I guess needs must.

Show up..MTDer's don't get along well with others, apparently...they don't want table mates.

I would say your statement is a narrow-minded assumption. I wouldn't say that applies to MTDers at all. True, there may be some who don't feel like telling their life story to a table full of strangers but most just want the flexibility of eating when the mood hits them. We are all on vacation after all. Most of us like to leave out routines at home when we are on vacation and not feel like we have to rush to dinner, just because we're stuck in the same time slot every night. Of course, the optional dining spots are another option.

Wait...um...what?!!!

I will be a MTDer on my next cruise-by choice. After spending nearly 8 years at a dinner table by myself, I welcome the company! I just don't want to be forced into a time slot.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Forums mobile app

On Radiance in August my hubby and I eat in the main dining room 3 times using MTD on a table for 2. We choose not to eat with strangers, we just wanted our own company. We booked the 1st time, but just turned up the 2nd. We were told it was a 2 hour wait for a table for 2, they were very pushy to the point of being rude trying to get us to join a large table which we didn't want to. " wats wrong with you sit with these people " we're their actual words. We walked out and went around to the other enterance and asked for a table for 2 we were seated straight away. I think it defeats the object of MTD if you have to book, but if you want a particular table then I guess needs must.

"Other entrance"?????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Some of the ships have a hostess stand at both entrances, the one on the port side and also on the one on the starboard side.

Interesting. I have never seen that. I assumed that they only had one so that they could control access better.

Apparently the quoted poster needed to circumvent those controls! :eek: ;) :D

Interesting. I have never seen that. I assumed that they only had one so that they could control access better.

Apparently the quoted poster needed to circumvent those controls! :eek: ;) :D

I know they had it on the Enchantment last month. Another time (forgot which ship) one side was for folks with reservations and the other side was for those without reservations. That seems like a better system than just go to either side:rolleyes:

On Vision they had one side for those with reservations (port) and the other (starboard) for those without. The reservation line was almost always longer. They even came over one night and started taking people from the reservation line to the other side!!

We normally make reservations before boarding for around 6:45. When we board we decide if we will keep them, change the time, or cancel altogether. I like having something to fall back on. Never had a problem changing our desired time when we wanted to.

We had MTD on the Rhapsody last December. First night without a booking, we were told there was a 2hr wait for a table of 3. Ended up at the Windjammer. Next night, we rocked up at the same time and we were given a table straight away. From then on, at the suggestion of the waiters, we made a booking with the Maitre D and we had the same table at the same time, with the same fabulous waiters, for the duration of the cruise.

For those that have experienced MTD, what would be the best time to make a reservation? On Serenade, I hear that the main seatings are 6:00 PM and 8:30 PM. I was planning on requesting 7 PM seating, figuring the first seating should be finished by then. Too early? Too late?