Dining room policy-I don't get it

Retired 07

I forgot nothing! and yes the dining room manager was discrete and respectful. I never said otherwise.

My response was "respectful" and I was just so sure you were having such a great time you forgot about your hat!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is it raining in the Lido???

I'm sorry I was raised to the rule that if you are indoors.... As walked in the door any where, your hat immediately comes off.... When in doubt take it off! Unless of course it's raining :)

Based on this rule, McDonalds applies, as does the Lido.

Just my Great Grandmothers rule but I think good manners are "timeless".

Just because you were raised to this rule, is not a good reason FOR this rule. It's ridiculous to have to take off your hat walking into a fast food joint. The employees wear hats for gosh sakes!

My response was "respectful" and I was just so sure you were having such a great time you forgot about your hat!

I WAS having a great time. Before AND after the hat came off. Having to take it off was not at all upsetting to me as much as having it on was evidently upsetting to some of my fellow passengers.

So why complain about it here then?

Where exactly did you see a complaint? If you look at my original post, I merely commented on the situation, and that I thought it was odd to be asked to remove my hat. I was not complaining, because I was not upset.

On a brighter note, my Great Grandmother also said " a lady never leaves the house without her gloves"..... I would like to take issue with that rule! I do not believe that Ladies Dept of any Department Store has a Glove Counter or a Hosery Counter anymore ;) but I do remember those little boxes!

I forgot nothing! and yes the dining room manager was discrete and respectful. I never said otherwise.

They always are - and it's not written in any rule or etiquette book. They just know what is right. OP, I think your thread title says it all - you just don't get it, and you never will. But please expect others to remind you now and then that it is not polite to wear a hat to dinner.

They always are - and it's not written in any rule or etiquette book. They just know what is right. OP, I think your thread title says it all - you just don't get it, and you never will. But please expect others to remind you now and then that it is not polite to wear a hat to dinner.

OK, fine..I don't get it. But still, nobody can answer WHY it is not polite to wear a hat to dinner. ("It just isn't" or "I was raised that way"isn't an answer) I guess nobody else "gets it" either.

Perhaps the OP likes to wear a hat, because he or she is hair folliculary challenged. I'm sure they would excuse a person who is being treated for cancer, but plain old bald, probably not.

No offense, OP. Just trying to figure out why wearing a hat is important. I live where it is cold, and we don't wear hats!

It may be an archaic rule, but it is a well known rule. In 2014, it signals disrespect. Someday...it may change.

OK, fine..I don't get it. But still, nobody can answer WHY it is not polite to wear a hat to dinner. ("It just isn't" or "I was raised that way"isn't an answer) I guess nobody else "gets it" either.

The poster who referred to the "non-optional social convention" had it in a nutshell. The atmosphere in a cruise ship's main dining room is part of what many people want on their cruise. Sure, someone at another table wearing a hat, or (a bit further down the slippery slope) a slightly soiled tee shirt and frayed jeans, or (all the way to the bottom of that slope) a sweaty wife beater shirt exposing his hairy armpits, does not immediately and fatally impact someone who can "just look the other way" --- but, like it or not, or "GET IT" or not, destroying the atmosphere which happens to be important to others is NOT POLITE.

I have no high expectations of your being able to "GET IT", but that is what it is about.

I'm going to take a giant leap and suggest OP likely 'got it' long ago but is enjoying retorting with oblivious tone of fogginess and confusion. My impression is he writes and comprehends English, all responses have been written quite plainly. My leap is to suggest he doesn't want to admit he 'gets it' :D for whatever his reason(s).

Ya know, I think I'd like to know WHY it's not polite, as well. Just because my grandmother or my great-grandmother did something is not enough reason for me! And no, I was not raised by wolves. I was raised by a very genteel lady who would probably know the answer to the WHY?, but unfortunately she is no longer around for me to ask!!

I tried to post some links but guess I can't figure out how to make that work...

But I Googled - Rules for removing hats in Restaurants. Got a lot of Hat Etiquette listings. Apparently the "Rule" started decades (many many) ago when men wore hats to work in (think fields, factories, etc) and for protection from weather. So hats as protective gear were deemed to be dirty and wet, therefore it was unhealthful to you and others to wear your dirty hat when coming in from outside. As ladies hats for the most part were decorative and only briefly worn outside they had different rules.

All the links I found talked about slightly different rules for men wearing hats that were part of a "fashion" stmt. Think old fashion Top Hats. These links discussed the changing of society and loosening of these rules especially on the West Coast of the U.S.

My grandchildren take their hat off the moment they hit Nana's front door, we have some other old fashion rules too that are just good manners. They would include dressing as young gentlemen when going to a nice restaurant. Learning there is a time and place for every thing.

All this from a girl of the 60's and my great grandmother of course

Edited by nana541

Wow, I read the original post and was surprised by all the comments. Maybe I misunderstood it. I thought it was about the inconsistent way the dress code was enforced in the dining room, not the reasoning behind the dress code.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!!! Crazy place huh :)

The poster who referred to the "non-optional social convention" had it in a nutshell. The atmosphere in a cruise ship's main dining room is part of what many people want on their cruise. Sure, someone at another table wearing a hat, or (a bit further down the slippery slope) a slightly soiled tee shirt and frayed jeans, or (all the way to the bottom of that slope) a sweaty wife beater shirt exposing his hairy armpits, does not immediately and fatally impact someone who can "just look the other way" --- but, like it or not, or "GET IT" or not, destroying the atmosphere which happens to be important to others is NOT POLITE.

I have no high expectations of your being able to "GET IT", but that is what it is about.

"Destroying the atmosphere" by wearing a hat? Don't you think that is a bit of an overstatement?

Wow, I read the original post and was surprised by all the comments. Maybe I misunderstood it. I thought it was about the inconsistent way the dress code was enforced in the dining room, not the reasoning behind the dress code.

That is how I understood it also.

I'm going to take a giant leap and suggest OP likely 'got it' long ago but is enjoying retorting with oblivious tone of fogginess and confusion. My impression is he writes and comprehends English, all responses have been written quite plainly. My leap is to suggest he doesn't want to admit he 'gets it' :D for whatever his reason(s).

After seeing multiple responses from OP, have to agree. Oh well, bless his heart.

Edited by Murray's Pop

Is it "polite" to go to dinner topless? In some cultures, women going topless is not an issue, and I'm sure there are some men who wouldn't be "offended" if a perky young woman came to dinner topless, but it's still not acceptable! :eek:

I know this is an extreme analogy, but I just wanted to make the point that there are some "social conventions" that we continue to follow, even if nobody can give a really good reason why.

Although I am sure this does not pertain condition of the hat of the OP, I don't like hats inside for either women or men. Mainly because I taught elementary school for many years, the ball caps and touques (Canadian name for any wool hat used in winter to keep head warm) were fine the first wearing. After they had run around outside sweating the ball caps were disgusting-sweat stains, and smelly. The touques were also great places for lice to hide, so they were not allowed into my classroom.

Many ball caps I see in restaurants are of the same vein as the sweat stained variety. Not very hygienic looking. Also many seem to be trying to hide unwashed hair, again not very pleasant looking.

So feel the tradition for not wearing hats is a good one to continue. I also agree with the OP that T-shirts and jeans are not appropriate for the dining room.

No!

OK, you're right. I can see me sitting in the dining room in my wool fedora, and people getting up, throwing down their napkins in disgust, walking out saying "I will not dine in the same room with that hat!!