Dining room policy-I don't get it

Retired 07

Two of the three children ( ages 5 and 7 ) seemed to use the room as a playground. Too many times the wait staff were dodging theses two as they ran from their table across the room to visit GP's table. As annoying as this was, the fact that dad wore his baseball cap each and every morning to breakfast seemed to be more offensive than the behaviour of his children.

No, I'd be more put off by loud obnoxious kids at breakfast than I would be over the hat. The hat doesn't have any bearing on my breakfast experience. Loud kids interfering with wait staff does.

When outside I wear a wide brimmed sun hat; I do live in Southern Florida. Even today is mid-80's and extremely sunny. Whenever I run errands I am sure to have a hat on. I do not remove it when I enter each store. I remove it in banks per security requirements, but otherwise I don't bother. Am I doing it wrong?

I guess that using this "logic" that wearing shoes indoors does not make sense either.

Actually, where we live, the norm is that when you enter someone's home, you remove your shoes at the door. Not "logic", common sense.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I know in the US you often have different customs and ideas of good manners to us in the UK, but wearing a hat in a dining room (or indeed indoors) is definitely a no no.

It's a "no, no" in my home even if I'm throwing a pizza party! No one would dare wear a hat at table indoors. Myguests wouldn't think of doing so. Outdoors is an entirely different story. An exception should be made for a religious head covering or a head covering if someone has had surgery to the cranium. Other than that, in the MDR, no way!

Can someone please post a link to an etiquette column that talks about how it's okay for men to wear a hat in a restaurant? I've looked... really looked... and I can't find anything.

Not necessarily. We tried to enjoy a quiet breakfast each morning in the PG, while on our Ak cruise last month. Unfortunately, every morning a party of parents with 3 children, and grandparents seemed to have the same morning schedule. Two of the three children ( ages 5 and 7 ) seemed to use the room as a playground. Too many times the wait staff were dodging theses two as they ran from their table across the room to visit GP's table. As annoying as this was, the fact that dad wore his baseball cap each and every morning to breakfast seemed to be more offensive than the behaviour of his children. Whatever the venue, and whatever the determined dress code for the day, baseball caps/hats should be removed when entering a shared dining room.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Really?!?! A man wearing a hat is more annoying than loud kids running amok?? You can turn away, or not look at the man if it is so offensive, but you can't escape the noise!

Something older - which reflects the era of most HAL cruisers...

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1298&dat=19960628&id=FdYyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ywcGAAAAIBAJ&pg=6947,5455509

Something more contemporary:

http://www.chow.com/food-news/86342/should-i-take-my-hat-off-at-a-restaurant/

I myself will keep my hat on while dining, but only if it is outdoors and sunny and the restaurant has not seen fit to provide suitable shade.

I take off my hat,if wearing one, when entering a church, even if there are no services or anyone in the building, and even if I am am atheist there only to admire the art, architecture and history.

Edited by cruising cockroach

On the Maasdam last Spring, there was a young man, probably in his 30's, who came to dinner every night in the MDR wearing a baseball cap. He was seated with 3 young women of the same age. We commented to the DR manager about this lack of courtesy to remove his hat. The DR manager advised that they had previously requested that he remove his hat. He just ignored them. However, on formal night, he did not wear the hat! Go figure. :rolleyes:

On the Maasdam last Spring' date=' there was a young man, probably in his 30's, who came to dinner every night in the MDR wearing a baseball cap. He was seated with 3 young women of the same age. We commented to the DR manager about this lack of courtesy to remove his hat. The DR manager advised that they had previously requested that he remove his hat. He just ignored them. However, on formal night, he did not wear the hat! Go figure. :rolleyes:[/quote']

If I were to complain about every incident on a HAL ship where someone was demonstrating a lack of courtesy, that is all I would be doing.

Really?!?! A man wearing a hat is more annoying than loud kids running amok?? You can turn away, or not look at the man if it is so offensive, but you can't escape the noise!

It isn't the noise that would primarily concern me, but the health and safety issue of having the children running in the PG. The OP stated that the wait staff had to dodge these children. Wait staff carrying hot plates of food with glasses and sharp knives should not be expected to dodge around running children. Not only are the wait staff at risk, so are the children and fellow diners.

I get your point though. When etiquette trumps health and safety, we have a problem.

Can someone please explain WHY it is so offensive and disrespectful to wear a hat indoors?
Can you explain WHY it isn't - when etiquette (see link someone provided earlier) says it is?

There are just certain standards of 'polite society'. Things like not talking with your mouth full of food, chewing with your mouth open, or grabbing food off of someone's plate aren't done in polite society. No need to explain why they are "offensive and disrespectful", they just are. DH would no more wear a hat indoors than he'd put his feet up on the dining room table.

If everyone here is OK with someone wearing a hat for a medical reason...would you first give someone the benefit of the doubt that they were wearing the hat for a medical reason? It doesn't sound like it from this thread.

You'll sit there and spend more time judging someone negatively than minding your own business and enjoying the people you are with, or being tattle tales to the staff to put them in an awkward position over a HAT. :rolleyes:

There are just certain standards of 'polite society'. Things like not talking with your mouth full of food, chewing with your mouth open, or grabbing food off of someone's plate aren't done in polite society. No need to explain why they are "offensive and disrespectful", they just are.

Those are actual health and sanitation risks. Explained in one sentence. Nothing about a hat poses a health risk to you.

Everyone says it is not right...OP asks for an explanation and the reply is "We don't have to explain it to you." Actually, sounds like a request for an explanation is not out of line. If there are valid and definable reasons for something explanations are always simple.

Those are actual health and sanitation risks. Explained in one sentence. Nothing about a hat poses a health risk to you.

Everyone says it is not right...OP asks for an explanation and the reply is "We don't have to explain it to you." Actually, sounds like a request for an explanation is not out of line. If there are valid and definable reasons for something explanations are always simple.

Odd. I've just googled "talking with food in mouth". All of the hits on the first page deal with etiquette. Not a single one with health or sanitation risks. Sorry, your "explanation" isn't valid to me.

How about shouting or TYPING IN ALL CAPS? Those are considered offensive and disrespectful. Neither is a health or sanitation risk.

Some things are just done (or not done) in polite society and have no explanation. Things like saying 'please' and 'thank you' serve no purpose other than being polite. An act like slamming the door in another's face is considered rude by our society. Does anyone really need an explanation why?

The OP is going against what is considered proper etiquette. I'm still wondering why he feels wearing a hat indoors isn't offensive and disrespectful.

I'm still trying to figure out why a gentleman would want to wear a hat from an indoor location (his cabin) throughout his movement on the ship ultimately getting him to an indoor temperature controlled nice dining room? What is the need for a hat indoors? Why would he even think to put on a hat knowing he wasn't going to be out in weather or elements? Should he decide to walk the decks later and want a hat, couldn't he easily get it from his cabin then? :confused:

I'm still trying to figure out why a gentleman would want to wear a hat from an indoor location (his cabin) throughout his movement on the ship ultimately getting him to an indoor temperature controlled nice dining room? What is the need for a hat indoors?

Fashion statement and/or security blanket.

Of course the loud kids running amok are a real imposition while wearing a hat in a dining room is merely a minor discourtesy; however they both represent a self-absorbed disinterest in the rights of others. The first is certainly more serious, but both represent the changes from the 1940's attitudes which some posters have mentioned dismissively.

I'm still trying to figure out why a gentleman would want to wear a hat from an indoor location (his cabin) throughout his movement on the ship ultimately getting him to an indoor temperature controlled nice dining room? What is the need for a hat indoors? Why would he even think to put on a hat knowing he wasn't going to be out in weather or elements? Should he decide to walk the decks later and want a hat, couldn't he easily get it from his cabin then? :confused:

Because you need the hat bill to hold up your sunglasses ? You just gotta look cool for your honey :rolleyes:

Edited by taxmantoo

I hesitate to suggest modifications to someone's choice of words, but what we seem to have here is a failure to communicate. As soon as you used the term "gentleman", the question about hats in the dining room became moot. I can think of no commentary of any sort which might imply that a gentleman would EVER wear a hat in a dining room unless it were for medical or religious purposes.

I am assuming, of course, that when you say "gentleman" you actually mean a man of some sensitivity and finesse - and not simply the male of the species.