Dining room policy-I don't get it

Retired 07

The idea of not wearing a hat indoors is pretty widely accepted/understood. While jeans.may be acceptable dress on some nights on some lines, and tee shirts are generally not in compliance - the fact that one person got by does not mean that everyone can. Also hats in dining rooms, sort of like bare feet, is the kind of thing which should not even have to discussed in a dress code.

I cannot believe that, even in this day and age, anyone (especially of an older generation) would think it is appropriate to wear a hat, cap, whatever, to the MDR or to any meal. Even my grandsons know better than to wear their caps in my house at dinner!;)

Isn't there something odd like formal night dress code isn't applied in the specialty restaurants? I seem to recall reading that some folks book them specifically on formal nights to avoid the MDR suit/jacket thing?

Formal night dress code applies to all of the specialty restaurants except the Caneletto which is part of the Lido.

Seems to me to be acceptable, suitable and definitely fashionable.

You can't be serious!;)

I assume you are of typical age to be retired.

Other than for reasons of illness or religion, why would any gentleman of any age believe that it is appropriate to wear any sort of hat into a ship's main dining room for dinner?

Not trying to be a scold, just don't understand the thought process.

I don't either.. As another poster mentioned even my Grandchildren know enough to remove their hats at my dining room table or in any eating establishment when I'm around..

BTW Jeans are acceptable dress in HAL dining rooms, but t-shirts are not..

I guess my question to the OP would be: why did you think it would be acceptable to wear a hat in a dining room? Hats are normally reserved for outdoor wear, often to keep the head and/or face protected from the elements. Wearing a hat indoors does not make sense.

As the OP can see, the majority of us are of the opinion that hats certainly don't belong at a dinner table, no matter where you are, on land or at sea.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Hats should not be worn indoors, period. Unless it is a yarmulke or a covering for medical reasons. I HATE baseball caps of all kinds in all places. I like a nice hate like you described, but.not.indoors.

I do realize there are many who do not consider HAL's MDR's to be formal settings. DH and I discussed this thread over dinner. In our opinion, even on "smart casual" nights guests should show respect for the setting. You have linen tablecloths, linen napkins, china and crystal ... and we just can't imagine anyone thinking it was socially correct to wear a hat during dinner.

:rolleyes: I actually delayed replying to the OP thinking it might be a joke.

I guess my question to the OP would be: why did you think it would be acceptable to wear a hat in a dining room? Hats are normally reserved for outdoor wear, often to keep the head and/or face protected from the elements. Wearing a hat indoors does not make sense.

As the OP can see, the majority of us are of the opinion that hats certainly don't belong at a dinner table, no matter where you are, on land or at sea.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I guess that using this "logic" that wearing shoes indoors does not make sense either.

I realize I am in the minority here, but maybe here in So California, we look at things differently. Hats are not just for protection from the elements, they are a fashion statement. I have been in many fancy restaurants here and have never been asked to remove my hat, and I am not the only one wearing one. This isn't the 1940's. Rules and customs have changed, and I really don't see anything wrong with wearing a nice hat indoors.

I realize I am in the minority here, but maybe here in So California, we look at things differently. Hats are not just for protection from the elements, they are a fashion statement. I have been in many fancy restaurants here and have never been asked to remove my hat, and I am not the only one wearing one. This isn't the 1940's. Rules and customs have changed, and I really don't see anything wrong with wearing a nice hat indoors.

Here's an article from a California based etiquette expert dated 2012.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1292589

If I were sitting near you, I wouldn't be offended, and I wouldn't complain about you.

I agree times change. Time for some folks to pull themselves up by their boot straps and get into the 21st century :)

I never understand what all the fuss is about - live and let live.

Exactly! There was a time when everybody "dressed" for dinner at home! Men in suits and women in dresses. Who does that anymore? Times change, fashions change, things are much more casual now than even 20 years ago.

I know in the US you often have different customs and ideas of good manners to us in the UK, but wearing a hat in a dining room (or indeed indoors) is definitely a no no.

In 99% of the restaurants and stores that we would go into years ago, men did not wear hats in those places.

Times have changed -- sadly.

I agree. I also cannot believe how patronizing some of the comments have been.

The formal dress codes apply to all dining areas except for the Lido. Perhaps you were thinking of the Canaletto area (fee dining) of the Lido area. This area does not observe the formal dining requirement (since it is part of the Lido).

DaveOKC

Not necessarily. We tried to enjoy a quiet breakfast each morning in the PG, while on our Ak cruise last month. Unfortunately, every morning a party of parents with 3 children, and grandparents seemed to have the same morning schedule. Two of the three children ( ages 5 and 7 ) seemed to use the room as a playground. Too many times the wait staff were dodging theses two as they ran from their table across the room to visit GP's table. As annoying as this was, the fact that dad wore his baseball cap each and every morning to breakfast seemed to be more offensive than the behaviour of his children. Whatever the venue, and whatever the determined dress code for the day, baseball caps/hats should be removed when entering a shared dining room.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not necessarily. We tried to enjoy a quiet breakfast each morning in the PG, while on our Ak cruise last month. Unfortunately, every morning a party of parents with 3 children, and grandparents seemed to have the same morning schedule. Two of the three children ( ages 5 and 7 ) seemed to use the room as a playground. Too many times the wait staff were dodging theses two as they ran from their table across the room to visit GP's table. As annoying as this was, the fact that dad wore his baseball cap each and every morning to breakfast seemed to be more offensive than the behaviour of his children. Whatever the venue, and whatever the determined dress code for the day, baseball caps/hats should be removed when entering a shared dining room.

Not sure what your comment has to do with formal dining evenings (my comment)??

However, you are correct that even at breakfast people should kind their children and dress appropriately.

DaveOKC

Exactly! There was a time when everybody "dressed" for dinner at home! Men in suits and women in dresses. Who does that anymore? Times change, fashions change, things are much more casual now than even 20 years ago.

Things are more casual now - as many posters note - who cares: the rule seems to be do what you want and do not pay attention to what other people do.

Of course it is attention to the small "rules" that makes getting along with other people possible.

Our late monarch King George V and Queen Mary were known for wearing full formal wear (white tie and tails and ball gown and tiara) even when dining privately at the palace. As much as I like dressing up, even I wouldn't do that if I was the sovereign.:D

Yes, standards of dress have changed and I don't dress up as much as I used to. I sometimes go to the legitimate theatre, but not an opera, without a tie. But there are limits. Hats being worn indoors by males - especially baseball caps - is going too far. Even in the Queen's Grill on Cunard I have seen the occasional ball cap at breakfast. When on holiday I like to do something different such as dress up some, if not most, of the time, so ships with formal nights are appealing.