Dining room policy-I don't get it

Retired 07

OK, you're right. I can see me sitting in the dining room in my wool fedora, and people getting up, throwing down their napkins in disgust, walking out saying "I will not dine in the same room with that hat!!

Don't talk foolish. That would be rude. :rolleyes:

"Destroying the atmosphere" by wearing a hat? Don't you think that is a bit of an overstatement?

Your misquote is the overstatement - if you had taken the time to read my post I was referring to frayed jeans, dirty tee shirts and sweaty muscle shirts as well as hats. In any event, since it is clear that you are either incapable of understanding the concept of generally accepted conduct in specific environments (being polite), or simply want to pursue the two-year old's tactic of perpetually asking why (being immature), there is no point in continuing the discussion.

Reminds me of something that happened with my wife's family a decade or so ago. My wife has, unfortunately, an uncouth redneck brother who wears his straw country/cowboy hat all the time, even at family dinners.

His son, a teenager at the time, started to wear caps all the time as well. The young boy's grandmother (wife's and redneck brother's mother) took him aside and said to him, "if you want to be a gentleman, you do not wear a hat at the table". Sure enough, he has never done that again, and neither has his brother.

OK, fine..I don't get it. But still, nobody can answer WHY it is not polite to wear a hat to dinner. ("It just isn't" or "I was raised that way"isn't an answer) I guess nobody else "gets it" either.

Read the whole thing at the link. In a nutshell, the removal of headgear is a sign of respect.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/03/why-we-are-supposed-to-take-our-hats-off-for-the-national-anthem/

Reminds me of something that happened with my wife's family a decade or so ago. My wife has, unfortunately, an uncouth redneck brother who wears his straw country/cowboy hat all the time, even at family dinners.

His son, a teenager at the time, started to wear caps all the time as well. The young boy's grandmother (wife's and redneck brother's mother) took him aside and said to him, "if you want to be a gentleman, you do not wear a hat at the table". Sure enough, he has never done that again, and neither has his brother.

That grandmother must have known my grandmother as those very conversations happened with my brothers and my grandsons :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A gentleman does not wear his hat indoors. Any hat. Especially baseball caps. Very especially baseball caps turned backwards.

I don't disagree but it seems like times are changing just as women are going to be allowed to play golf at St Andrews, gay marriage is normal in many places, marijuana is now legal in some, and the world won't stop. In fact I'd argue that we live in a truly gilded age.

It appears many are allowed to wear baseball hats at dinners - I've seen it quite a bit. Can't say it bothers me - their call. I'll enjoy my dinner with my table companions who most likely won't be wearing hats!

Edited by pmd98052

OK, fine..I don't get it. But still, nobody can answer WHY it is not polite to wear a hat to dinner. ("It just isn't" or "I was raised that way"isn't an answer) I guess nobody else "gets it" either.

So are you saying you would have no issue with us wearing hot pink to your mother's funeral?

In public, it's not about how you think or feel, it's about how others might think or feel. Otherwise you might be perceived as uncaring or selfish.

Your misquote is the overstatement - if you had taken the time to read my post I was referring to frayed jeans, dirty tee shirts and sweaty muscle shirts as well as hats. In any event, since it is clear that you are either incapable of understanding the concept of generally accepted conduct in specific environments (being polite), or simply want to pursue the two-year old's tactic of perpetually asking why (being immature), there is no point in continuing the discussion.

You're absolutely right. There is no point in continuing a discussion with narrow-minded, intolerant people who still live in the past and are totally resistant to change. and, by the way, I have never seen a dirty tee shirt or a sweaty muscle shirt in a HAL dining room, but if I ever did it would certainly not destroy the atmosphere of the entire dining room, and it would have no effect on the enjoyment of my dinner.

OK. I'll end this here, because people are just getting a little too nasty and personal. Let me just say that I will continue cruising on HAL, I will continue to eat in the dining room, (hatless, of course) and I will continue to love cruising.

I've always believed that a gentleman should take off one's hat when entering someone's home, when dining in public, when entering a place of worship/sacred/whatever, or showing respect to an individual or flag etc.

Edited by MaxThrusters

I don't disagree but it seems like times are changing just as women are going to be allowed to play golf at St Andrews, gay marriage is normal in many places, marijuana is now legal in some, and the world won't stop. In fact I'd argue that we live in a truly gilded age.

It appears many are allowed to wear baseball hats at dinners - I've seen it quite a bit. Can't say it bothers me - their call. I'll enjoy my dinner with my table companions who most likely won't be wearing hats!

This intrigues me and please know I mean absolutely nothing negative because I don't know what it means. If you have a moment, would you explain?

Thanks.

7 pages of hat arguments! Only on cruise critic, folks. The most entertaining show in town. If I had a cap to tip, I would. But unfortunately the maitre d' took it!

You are absolutely correct.

My DH always wore his cap on HAL. Unfortunately he made a fatal mistake. One day I walked into the our stateroom bathroom and there was only his baseball cap on top of the toilet. DH failed to read the sign behind the toilet seat: "Please remove all caps before flushing". :eek:

However people here try to explain the indoor hat syndrome for you, the only issue pertinent to your situition is this: HAL operates the ships and runs the show and gets to decide what is and what is not acceptable onboard, no matter how trendy, fashionable or acceptable something might be off the ship or in your locale.

If you need further clarification, you might call HAL Seattle or shoot outs a letter to Stein Kruse.

OK. I'll end this here, because people are just getting a little too nasty and personal. Let me just say that I will continue cruising on HAL, I will continue to eat in the dining room, (hatless, of course) and I will continue to love cruising.

Yes, and you've been so sweet and nice, especially your post #140:rolleyes:.

You're absolutely right. There is no point in continuing a discussion with narrow-minded, intolerant people who still live in the past and are totally resistant to change. and, by the way, I have never seen a dirty tee shirt or a sweaty muscle shirt in a HAL dining room, but if I ever did it would certainly not destroy the atmosphere of the entire dining room, and it would have no effect on the enjoyment of my dinner.

"Any comments or opinions?"

These were the words YOU typed in your opening post. People gave their opinions; the majority just weren't the ones you seemed to hope for.

If you ever ask for an opinion again, maybe you could suggest the outcome you would like in advance and save all the bother!