royal caribbean dress code south america

iloveglee

We are booked for a 7 night cruise from santos, brazil in February 2015 and would like some advice about dress codes, especially as we are travelling from the UK and spending another month in brazil as well as the cruise. we only have a limited amount of baggage and don't want to waste space carrying clothing items we will never wear. apparently there are two formal, two smart casual and three casual nights on this cruise according to the website, which also gives indications as to what constitutes formal etc. but having cruised with royal Caribbean before both in the Caribbean, and in Europe, formal can mean many things. we have found in the Caribbean tuxedos and ballgowns are the preferred dress, in Europe this looked pretty overdressed to me. we have never cruised in south America before so would welcome some advice from those who have.

...but having cruised with royal Caribbean before both in the Caribbean, and in Europe, formal can mean many things. we have found in the Caribbean tuxedos and ballgowns are the preferred dress, in Europe this looked pretty overdressed to me. we have never cruised in south America before so would welcome some advice from those who have.

Well I don't mind answering your cruise question here. ;)

Tuxedos and ballgowns have pretty much become overdressed on Royal Caribbean everywhere. You'll still see a few dressed that way, but the majority are not. A nice dinner suit will be worn by the majority of men. To cut down on luggage, I recommend one suit with 2 ties and shirts.

Tuxedos and ballgowns have pretty much become overdressed on Royal Caribbean everywhere. You'll still see a few dressed that way, but the majority are not. A nice dinner suit will be worn by the majority of men. To cut down on luggage, I recommend one suit with 2 ties and shirts.

Sounds perfect, couldn't agree more. :)

As a couple you are free to wear a tux/gown if you wish but just know that, as stated, the RCI dress code is more relaxed than it used to be. In my experience on many RCI cruises to various destinations, it really doesn't matter the itinerary (you mentioned South America)- the dress is still more relaxed than it used to be.

Have fun! Sounds wonderful. :)

thanks to those who responded even though I put it on the wrong forum. I have to admit I do find cruise critic a little confusing as to where to find/place questions. I am pleased that dress is also more casual in south America, our experience of cruising in the Caribbean dates back a few years now so maybe it has changed there also. I think a plain suit for the husband, and just a light casual jacket plus the usual shirts/polos will suffice. not normally a problem for women I don't think, a nice lbw covers a multitude of situations.