Tip in kids club? Food in kids club?

I've never used kid's club before, but anticipate doing so on our upcoming cruise this December.

Is it customary to tip the kids club employees? If so, can I tip at the end of the week or is the kids club staff constantly changing? How much do you usually tip?

Also, is food ever served in kid's club? If it is, do we get a choice of what my child is offered? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never used kid's club before, but anticipate doing so on our upcoming cruise this December.

Is it customary to tip the kids club employees? If so, can I tip at the end of the week or is the kids club staff constantly changing? How much do you usually tip?

Also, is food ever served in kid's club? If it is, do we get a choice of what my child is offered? Thank you!

In terms of tips, this is purely optional. Some parents do, some don't. If you do, I would wait till end of cruise. There are a number of councilors in the kids club, but not sure if they rotate over the week. We saw some of the same ones the few times our son was at club.

In terms of food, the AO offers Adventure Dining - I think it's every night that they are open - around 6pm. You have to sign up in advance, and I think they may limit the number of kids that can participate. The councilors will take kids over to WJ (or Park Cafe or I heard Jonny Rockets) to get some food. The kids pick out what they want and then they go back to AO to eat. Our son did this once for lunch while we were in port. I think he got pizza.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

It's entirely optional and extra if you choose to tip but certainly not necessary.

The staff in the Nursery & Adventure Ocean don't share in the general tips onboard..I have found them to be amazing and tip accordingly.

The kid's club personnel, are professional personnel, and not service personnel, like waiters and room attendants. With that in mind, tipping is not customary. However, just like other personnel on the ship, such as the piano guy etc, you can tip, if you so desire.

Think of how many people take care of you on a ship that you come in contact with? Do you tip each one? The child care staff, is their "people" while the entertainment staff is "your" people to entertain.

It's entirely optional and extra if you choose to tip but certainly not necessary.

Tips are optional.

However, we have never not given a tip at the end of our cruise. I would say my kids are usually in the kids club about 80% of the time during open hours. They make many friends and enjoy most of the activities. We tip between $50-100 per child depending on how much time they are there and how well the programs are run. The staff sometimes do shift around, but I ask the head counselor to distribute the tips accordingly and I do name names if anyone in particular impresses us.

I have seen plenty of parents not tip:confused:. The counselors do an amazing job -many have backgrounds in education. They help make my vacation so much better bc my kids are well-cared for and entertained. I believe their salaries are generally low and don't share in the general tips pool.

The Club does offer dining options on certain nights and if interested must sign up at least an hour (?) before the event. The info will be posted in the Adventure Ocean dailys. The AO counselors usually commandeer a few tables at Windjammer or Johnny Rockets for this purpose. My kids are foodies and generally choose to dine with us at MDR.

Edited by chanthor13

While not directly related to Royal Caribbean, I had three long conversations with the senior Kids Club employee on the MS Zuiderdam last winter. We had lots in common (comics, music, etc...) and he was missing a lot of the pop culture news from back home.

Among the things I discovered was that these counsellors are paid quite well. It is a something of a secret in the childhood educator's programs that cruise ship work is a great way to pay off your student debts and get some travel in. I don't know what they make exactly, but they seem very happy with it.

What they can't predict is when they'll work. The number of staff assigned any given week is dependent on the number of children on the ship. Last winter, there were two staff members on the Zuiderdam for 7 children total, 2 of whom never showed up to the Kids Club.

Tips are optional. I have seen plenty of parents not tip:confused:. The counselors do an amazing job -many have backgrounds in education. They help make my vacation so much better bc my kids are well-cared for and entertained. I believe their salaries are generally low and don't share in the general tips pool.

All RCI councilors that are associated with the children's programs on board are college graduates in a field related to child development or similar. Prior experience is also a factor in hiring consideration, as well as extensive background checks. As a result they are salaried staff (commensurate to position) and they do not participate in the ship's gratuity program as a result.

Apart from other crew positions where gratuities form a significant part of the employee's compensation and is well publicized as part of your expected cruise fare, these staff positions - along with others - are not "advertised" that way as gratuities are not expected based on their compensation form. This may be why many don't add a gratuity for them.

Certainly if one wishes to add a gratuity for them, it would not be refused and would be a very kind gesture. But it would be a personal decision and not one that would be expected by the staff.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

For us, Adventure Ocean staff has made a big impact on our cruise experience, especially when the kids were younger, and we always tipped accordingly. Now both of our kids are teens and the Teen Club doesn't want parents around, so I don't really think about tipping since I wouldn't know who to tip anyway.

The staff in the Nursery & Adventure Ocean don't share in the general tips onboard..I have found them to be amazing and tip accordingly.

The cruise staff and guest relations desk staff , officers and engineers don't share in the general tips either so should I tip them? I have found the guest relations staff to be amazing but never thought to tip them, should I have?

While not directly related to Royal Caribbean, I had three long conversations with the senior Kids Club employee on the MS Zuiderdam last winter. We had lots in common (comics, music, etc...) and he was missing a lot of the pop culture news from back home.

Among the things I discovered was that these counsellors are paid quite well. It is a something of a secret in the childhood educator's programs that cruise ship work is a great way to pay off your student debts and get some travel in. I don't know what they make exactly, but they seem very happy with it.

What they can't predict is when they'll work. The number of staff assigned any given week is dependent on the number of children on the ship. Last winter, there were two staff members on the Zuiderdam for 7 children total, 2 of whom never showed up to the Kids Club.

Good info-I tip most of the time, but always wondered if that was appropriate or perhaps even insulting to them.

Thanks everyone for your replies regarding tipping! Great info!

In terms of food, the AO offers Adventure Dining - I think it's every night that they are open - around 6pm. You have to sign up in advance, and I think they may limit the number of kids that can participate. The councilors will take kids over to WJ (or Park Cafe or I heard Jonny Rockets) to get some food. The kids pick out what they want and then they go back to AO to eat. Our son did this once for lunch while we were in port. I think he got pizza.

So, does that mean there aren't snacks or anything ever in the kid's club? We plan on him eating with us at dinner every night, I'm more concerned about the random in between times. Kid's get hungry often (at least mine does), especially when playing hard with other kiddos.

So, does that mean there aren't snacks or anything ever in the kid's club? We plan on him eating with us at dinner every night, I'm more concerned about the random in between times. Kid's get hungry often (at least mine does), especially when playing hard with other kiddos.

Mine would be right there with yours!! And if they aren't allowed to sign themselves out then they can't just go and get something. This was a question I planned to ask on the first day when I see the schedule of activities.

If you plan on leaving your child in the kids program for extended periods of time, then snacks might be an issue for you. Having snacks in the kids program presents a huge issue because of food allergies.

ohhh that makes sense...and I should know this having food allergies....ok...plan accordingly then

During sea days, the club is open from 9-12, 2-5, and then 7-10 for free, and from 10-2am I think for fee. They close so that parents can take kids for lunch and dinner. We never had our son in longer than 2 hours, so he snacked either before or after. On port days, they will take kids to lunch.

The cruise staff and guest relations desk staff , officers and engineers don't share in the general tips either so should I tip them? I have found the guest relations staff to be amazing but never thought to tip them, should I have?

No...I wouldn't even consider tipping them...they aren't doing anything out of the ordinary in terms of personal service for me that they don't do for everyone else onboard...

However the child care (Nursery & Adventure Ocean) staff is taking care of our "children"...a BIG difference !!

If you plan on leaving your child in the kids program for extended periods of time, then snacks might be an issue for you. Having snacks in the kids program presents a huge issue because of food allergies.

On the registration form you fill out for the Nursery or Adventure Ocean..it asks specifically about allergies.

During sea days, the club is open from 9-12, 2-5, and then 7-10 for free, and from 10-2am I think for fee. They close so that parents can take kids for lunch and dinner. We never had our son in longer than 2 hours, so he snacked either before or after. On port days, they will take kids to lunch.