B2B Viking River and Princess Cruises - A Comparison

mreasier

We recently got back from a 2 week river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam on the Viking Baldur followed by a 28 day Scandinavia & Russia/Transatlantic cruise from Copenhagen to New York on the Royal Princess. While they are fresh in my senior mind, I wanted to try to compare the experiences. In the way of background, we are fairly frequent ocean cruisers, with over 25 cruises and about 300 days, mostly on Princess. Except for a brief 3 days on the Yangtze, this was our 1st river cruise.

Cost

We booked both cruises through online discount agencies and received about 10% discount on each. The Viking river cruise cost us about $290 per day per person. The Princess ocean cruise cost us about $120 per day per person. However, Viking provides unlimited complimentary wine and beer at lunch and dinner. When cruising, we usually have a couple of glasses of wine at lunch and at dinner. Four glasses of house wine on Princess come to about $30 per day. Additionally, Viking provides complimentary tours in each port. These are typically 3 to 4 hour walking tours with perhaps a short bus ride. This type of tour on Princess usually runs about $100 to $150. Adding $130 per day (drinks and tours) to the Princess cost brings it to about $250 per day, still about $40 per day less than the Viking River cruise. I did not include it in the calculation, but Viking provides free unlimited internet that actually worked. We are Elite on Princess, so we each got 500 free internet minutes. However, the internet was so slow during the daytime hours it was essentially unusable. It was usable before 7:00AM and sometimes during the evening.

Cabin

We had a window cabin on Viking which provides a small window near the ceiling that provides a view at river level. My wife is short and had to stand on the bed to see out. We had an inside cabin on Princess, so the cabins are roughly equivalent. We were delighted with both cabins. The Princess cabin was slightly larger, being one of the “sideways” cabins that runs parallel with the hall rather than perpendicular. The beds in both cabins were extremely comfortable – the beds on the Royal are much better than those we have had in the past on Princess. The on demand TV systems on both ships were roughly equal. The larger shower on the Royal compared to other Princess ships was much appreciated. I thought it was nit picking when others complained about the location of the toilet paper holder. They were not nit picking – it is really a pain in the ass (pun intended). I must admit I found myself reaching for the tissues because they were much easier to get to. We really liked the small things in the Viking cabin. The bathroom had an adjustable heated floor and the shower was large and had dual glass doors. The dual closet had doors and lights would come on when opened. Indirect subtle lighting was available in both the bathroom and the main room. The cabin stewards on both ships were friendly, fast and efficient.

Overall I would rate the cabins as equal.

Buffet

In this aspect there was a huge difference between Princess and Viking. Viking does have a small buffet on its terrace for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Lunch was good but the breakfast and dinner were very limited. The Horizon Court/Bistro on Princess is huge, with a great variety of tasty food.

Big plus for Princess

Dining Room

We were disappointed with the service in the Royal Princess. We did anytime dining. The 1st night we made reservations and had to wait 15 minutes while they sat people who just walked up without reservations. Once we got seated we had to wait over 30 minutes to order. We finally got our drinks and ordered our food 45 minutes after our reservation time. Service was OK but impersonal. The next time we went to the dining room we arrived at 8:30. We have never had to wait at that time on any other Princess ship but we had to get a pager and wait. The food was OK, but not exceptional. Service did get better as the cruise went on but we ended up going to the buffet more frequently than the dining room. Dining on Viking is kind of like a combination of anytime and traditional on Princess. Everyone eats around 7:00PM but it is not fixed seating. You can sit where and with whom you want. Service was always fast, attentive, and personal. The food was excellent. Some of the meals we had were among the best we had had on land or sea. The chateaubriand was to die for. As mentioned earlier, beer and wine are complimentary with lunch and dinner. They never let my wine glass get empty.

Big plus for Viking

Entertainment

Entertainment on Princess was varied and extensive. Production shows, comics, game shows, etc. Two of the guest singers (one male and one female) were among the best we have heard at sea. Entertainment was minimal on Viking. There was a piano player in the lounge before and after dinner and they sometimes brought local talent on board for a show. They had trivia one night. We found that we really did not miss extensive entertainment. The river cruise was so port intensive that we were usually ready to just relax after dinner. It was certainly not the place for someone who parties late.

Big plus for Princess

Service

Other than the dining room service problems, service on both ships was excellent. Because it was a much smaller ship, it seemed more personal on Viking since we got to know much of the staff. We were impressed and delighted on Princess when a bar attendant approached us and just starred. After a few awkward moments he said, “Don’t you remember me”? He had remembered us from and Alaskan cruise we took two years ago.

Overall I would rate the service as equal.

On board experience

We have always liked the elegant but relaxed atmosphere on Princess. However, after spending two weeks on Viking where they did not try to sell you anything, it was jarring to board the Royal Princess where everywhere you turned they were trying to sell you a coffee card, a wine package, a spa treatment, pictures, even a bottle of water (free on Viking). It seemed to be more pronounced on the Royal as compared with other Princess ships we have been on. One day at lunch we were approached by two different people within 30 seconds trying to get us to sign up for the wine tasting. The Piazza on the Royal Princess is huge and gorgeous. Unfortunately to us, it is also used as an entertainment and dancing venue. There is no Explorer’s Lounge and the Wheelhouse does not have a dance floor. Bands and singers are frequently performing (loudly) in the Piazza, making it impossible to relax or hold a conversation. We had lunch one day in Alfredo’s Pizza on Deck 6 just off the Piazza. The food was excellent. However, the loud noise from a contest going on in the Piazza made it impossible to talk. The Royal Princess is a very large ship. The design does not lend itself to feeling that you are on the sea. Other than a few small areas, there is no Promenade Deck. There is no area to get a forward view except for the extra cost Sanctuary. The only places to see the wake are from the rear of decks 16 and above. It seems they are trying to influence you inside where you are more likely to spend money. There was really no such thing as a sea day on the river cruise. Even when just cruising, you are watching beautiful scenery go by on both sides of the ship. There is a wonderful terrace on the front of the ship where you can sit outside or sheltered behind glass doors. It provides great viewing and is also the location of the buffet. The entire upper deck on Viking is an open viewing deck.

Big plus for Viking

Conclusion

We had a wonderful time on both cruises and we still love Princess. However, we ended up enjoying the experience on Viking Baldur considerably more than on the Royal Princess. In our opinion, it was worth the $40 per day per person additional cost. We cruise as much for the itinerary as the cruise experience and river cruising itineraries are limited, especially now with what is happening in Russia. We will be cruising Princess again – we have already booked a cruise on the Island Princess for next year. I don’t think we will sail again on the Royal or the Regal. We definitely plan on doing another Viking cruise.

Thanks for the review. Having taken several Viking River cruises and sailed on the Royal twice, I concur with most of your impressions.

The T/A last year on the Royal was quite different from this year's T/A (which I was on with you) in that last year was a southern route and there were far more outdoor activities plus both pools were in use and crowded so that the Piazza was used far less for entertainment. It was for the most part quiet and peaceful. Not so this year where there was something scheduled every hour, most of which included loud music.

I can't say enough good things about Viking. I've had some terrific cruises with them.

Wayne,

Thanks for the comparison review. Gave me insight on the River Boats.

Our experience on the Royal was much different in dining room. We took Fixed this time. Great service, not rushed, early sitting and we usually arrived about 5:45(opened at 5:30) but was told we could arrive later. Had a table for 10

crazy Cruise Critic people.It was so personal, had the Waitress sitting on the male cruisers laps, stealing their bow ties, really funny.

I have since gone back and changed all my anytime future cruises to Fixed dining. Nice not having to wait.

Wished you could have joined our crazy table. There were 5 tables for two behind us and they all joined in the merriment too. Never have we had

such a fun experience at Dinner.

The toilet paper issue really is, and I too grabbed for the tissues many times.

Glad to have cruised with you.

Gloria:D

Hi Wayne, thanks so much for taking the time to post about your experiences. Bob and I have gone on two Viking River cruises and really enjoyed them. We have another one coming up in March with Grand Circle from Berlin to Prague. Of course, I also love cruising on the big ocean with Princess. :)

Bob and I were part of the table for 10 that Gloria mentioned. We had so much fun and couldn't wait for dinner each night. I think traditional is the only way to go because you get to know your wait staff and you dine with the same folks each night. And, of course, no waiting.

I hope by now you got in the see the dentist and are out of pain. :eek:

Can either Pam or the OP talk about how a river cruise can accommodate a handicap person. I can walk short distances with assistance. But need my scooter for any involved walking. I've read that they do not support disabled passengers.

Can either Pam or the OP talk about how a river cruise can accommodate a handicap person. I can walk short distances with assistance. But need my scooter for any involved walking. I've read that they do not support disabled passengers.

I think it would be really difficult for someone with mobility problems on a river cruise. There was one small elevator that only went to 2 of the 4 decks. One of the decks was cabins only so that would not be a problem but the other deck was the main viewing deck. The tours were mostly walking tours through old medieval cities that at not set up for those with walking difficulties. There was no one on our river cruise with mobility problems.

Could you please compare the guest makeup? Thanks

The guest makeup was similar but there were differences. Guests were mostly 50's to early 70's on Viking. It was similar on Princess but skewed a little older, especially on the Transatlantic portion. The slight majority of the guests on Viking were American with a large number of Canadians and Aussies. Viking said it was unusual to have that many Aussies (a good thing in my opinion). The majority of the guests on Princess were also American. Along with Canadians and Aussies, it was more international - from both Europe and Asia.

We have been on 8 river cruises, but none on Viking. In general we had similar experiences on these trips. On those ships, the elevator did not go to the top/open deck either. I remember the guide or program director getting a taxi for guests who had difficulty walking distances. The taxi would take them from one site to the next while the rest of us walked. I don't remember seeing any passengers with a scooter.

I have found the passenger make-up on river cruises to be mostly "active older"... people who have the time for a leisurely river cruise and the energy to walk 2-3 hours every morning or afternoon. Ports are mostly older villages or towns (some cities) that are not designed for scooters or are difficult for those with mobility issues. You are likely to be walking over cobblestones or other uneven surfaces. Castles and other places you'll visit are not handicapped accessible.

Dress on a river cruise is generally casual to smart casual. We often just wore our day clothes to dinner. There isn't a dress code but there is a "Captain's Dinner" and people make an effort to dress up a little bit for that. Nothing fancy. The vibe is very relaxed and friendly. Passengers are generally people who are interested and interesting. You won't find anyone looking for the nearest beach. :)

The elevator not going up to the main viewing deck can be a problem because often, lectures, movies and talks are given on the top deck. When you're not touring, there will be activities such as a history talk, language talk, etc. so you'd miss those if you are unable to get to the top deck or meeting area.

Edited by Pam in CA

Thank you for letting me know about the elevators on the Viking ships. We are considering a Baltic cruise on either the Ocean Princess/Carribean Princess in 2015 or waiting for the Viking Ocean Baltic cruise in 2016. We do not use scooters, but we are slow walkers and do prefer the elevators. Do you have any suggestions about Princess vs. Viking Ocean as far as the Baltic region is concerned? thanks

OP,

What a fabulous comparison!!! Thank you! We have not done a river cruise yet after 40+ ocean cruises, but expect that we will do one next year. We just returned from a cruise in Europe on the HOlland America Prinsendam, a smaller ship, and just loved so much about the small ship and visiting a variety of ports, large and small. The ease of a small vessel can not be underestimated!

One question..is gratuity about the same on both?

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

What a fabulous trip. I am green with envy. Thanks for the "apples to apples" comparison of two things that I always thought were "apples and oranges". I know better now. :) One nit to pick though. Given that the river cruise isn't designed or intended for non-stop shipboard entertainment, is it fair to give a "Big plus for Princess" here? I doubt that anyone on a river cruise would really want a comedic magician, or a Motown Revue show on board. On this score, it really is apples to oranges, as opposed to, say, comparing the entertainment on Princess to that on Celebrity.

thanks for the excellent comparison….after 20 plus princess cruises we did our first viking cruise last spring ….our experiences and opinions mirror your observations…. we enjoyed viking so much we have booked another next spring…being elite status, we are pretty much married to princess and will continue sailing with them but the river cruises take you to some incredible cities…thanks again for your thoughts!

There is no auto tip on Viking. The "recommended" gratuity is 12 Euros per day for the staff and 2 Euros per day for the cruise director. 14 Euros comes to about $17.50 - 6 dollars more per day than Princess. At the end of the cruise you can pay whatever you think is appropriate in cash (Euros) or credit card. Tipping for tour guides/drivers was additional and fully discretionary. The "recommended" gratuity is 2 Euros for the guide and 1 Euro for the driver. Edited by mreasier

I cruised on AMA and the tips were considerably more. I just looked at their website and for Euope they recommend 15 Euros per passenger ($19 US) plus tipping of guides.

In Russia (which I did), they recommend $19 US plus tips for guides also. I ended up tipping the guides quite a bit more than what was recommended as they did a great job.

I thought AMA's recommended tips for employees were high and for guides were low.

As far as on the ship, I think Princess employees did more than AMA people did.

http://www.amawaterways.com/faq

Edited by Coral

What a fabulous trip. I am green with envy. Thanks for the "apples to apples" comparison of two things that I always thought were "apples and oranges". I know better now. :) One nit to pick though. Given that the river cruise isn't designed or intended for non-stop shipboard entertainment, is it fair to give a "Big plus for Princess" here? I doubt that anyone on a river cruise would really want a comedic magician, or a Motown Revue show on board. On this score, it really is apples to oranges, as opposed to, say, comparing the entertainment on Princess to that on Celebrity.
It may be a bit of apples and oranges but I wanted to point out that there was minimal entertainment on Viking and that we really did not miss it.

Hi Gloria and Meredith. I heard all about your crazy table from Amelia. It must have been great fun. We have tried fixed seating in the past and enjoyed it too. We do like the flexibility of Anytime so we will probably stick with it.

Wayne Thank you for such an interesting and informative comparison

I had looked at European river cruises and always thought they were very expensive compared with Ocean cruises but you have brought the details clearly for comparison.

I may have to think again about a river cruise - if we win the premium bonds:D:D

The river cruises are on much smaller ships than most of us use on the ocean cruises. Even the R class ships hold about 700 passengers. In contract, our river cruises have been about 100 to 200 passengers. As a result there are fewer choices. As stated previously most shore excursions are included. But there is usually no choice of tours. There are fewer choices for meals. You don't get the grand buffets you see on the really big ships. Entertainment tended to be lectures on the next port.

Every now and then there was some regular entertainment. I remember on the Nile, a whirling dervish came on to spin for us. On the Elbe our Captain played the drums and another employee a guitar some evenings. When we sailed across Europe, our waiter played his harmonica several evenings.

We only had children aboard a couple of times.

All that said. we have loved our river cruises. We have done 7 with Grand Circle (only sells to US addresses) and one with Uniworld. We have another booked next year. On the oceans, we have 32 with Princess, 2 with carnival and 2 with NCL.

Thank you for your review of the Viking river cruise. We are considering it for next July with another family. They have been on several river cruises and are urging us to book their next one. Your description of your experiences on the River and the Royal cruises gives us a better idea of cruising a river as opposed to cruising the sea. :)

I think it would be really difficult for someone with mobility problems on a river cruise. There was one small elevator that only went to 2 of the 4 decks. One of the decks was cabins only so that would not be a problem but the other deck was the main viewing deck. The tours were mostly walking tours through old medieval cities that at not set up for those with walking difficulties. There was no one on our river cruise with mobility problems.

I have found the passenger make-up on river cruises to be mostly "active older"... people who have the time for a leisurely river cruise and the energy to walk 2-3 hours every morning or afternoon. Ports are mostly older villages or towns (some cities) that are not designed for scooters or are difficult for those with mobility issues. You are likely to be walking over cobblestones or other uneven surfaces. Castles and other places you'll visit are not handicapped accessible.

Dress on a river cruise is generally casual to smart casual. We often just wore our day clothes to dinner. There isn't a dress code but there is a "Captain's Dinner" and people make an effort to dress up a little bit for that. Nothing fancy. The vibe is very relaxed and friendly. Passengers are generally people who are interested and interesting. You won't find anyone looking for the nearest beach. :)

The elevator not going up to the main viewing deck can be a problem because often, lectures, movies and talks are given on the top deck. When you're not touring, there will be activities such as a history talk, language talk, etc. so you'd miss those if you are unable to get to the top deck or meeting area.

Thank you both for your information and responses. Just as a comparison can either of you compare the cobblestone streets to the cobblestone streets in "Old Town Tallinn, Estonia". Of all our European cruises Old Town Tallinn probably had the worst street I've been on but was still doable.

Thank you both for your information and responses. Just as a comparison can either of you compare the cobblestone streets to the cobblestone streets in "Old Town Tallinn, Estonia". Of all our European cruises Old Town Tallinn probably had the worst street I've been on but was still doable.
Depends on the town. I've taken the "Paris to Prague" cruise on Viking and some towns had uneven streets that a wheelchair or scooter might have problems with. Tallinn is a good example of a very old town that is not easy for those with difficulty walking.