Alternate Ports

astro57

I am going on Allure eastern caribbean this week, it looks like bad weather is heading towards St Maarten. Are there alternate ports the ship would route to in the event of severe weather?

Thanks in advance.

I am going on Allure eastern caribbean this week, it looks like bad weather is heading towards St Maarten. Are there alternate ports the ship would route to in the event of severe weather?

Thanks in advance.

Yep and I would get the RCI Cruise app to keep up with any itinerary changes.

St. Maarten is such a wonderful island and so is St. Martin! RCI always packs

so much fun and WoW in they will try to stay clear of bad weather :(

Here is a link to the 10 day weather forecast and I will keep my fingers crossed for you

Safe and Fun Travels

I disagree. While there might be alternative plans, a ship the size of Allure can not just go anywhere, at the spur of the moment. It all depends on exactly how far in advance the decision can be made, which is not typically far in advance when a hurricane is involved.

Remember, Allure does not tender, and the Caribbean doesn't have a lot of spare dock space, although there is more in October than in December or January, for example, when the Caribbean is jammed with ships. (Many ships have not yet returned from Europe).

Any last minute scheduled ports may not have as many excursions, as those can't just be set up in 24 hours. Or those ports may not suddenly have excursions for 5000+ pax on 24 or 48 hours notice.

Remember also the Caribbean isn't, in the big picture of a hurricane, not a really large place. If the hurricane is affecting St Maarten, it is affecting many other islands within 200 or so miles, so that means many other islands.

An extra sea day is definitely not out of the question.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I disagree. While there might be alternative plans, a ship the size of Allure can not just go anywhere, at the spur of the moment. It all depends on exactly how far in advance the decision can be made, which is not typically far in advance when a hurricane is involved.

Remember, Allure does not tender, and the Caribbean doesn't have a lot of spare dock space, although there is more in October than in December or January, for example, when the Caribbean is jammed with ships. (Many ships have not yet returned from Europe).

Any last minute scheduled ports may not have as many excursions, as those can't just be set up in 24 hours. Or those ports may not suddenly have excursions for 5000+ pax on 24 or 48 hours notice.

Remember also the Caribbean isn't, in the big picture of a hurricane, not a really large place. If the hurricane is affecting St Maarten, it is affecting many other islands within 200 or so miles, so that means many other islands.

An extra sea day is definitely not out of the question.

I agree. I think it unlikely that Allure will call at a different port. When Allure or Oasis pull into port, it isn't just a port visit, it's an invasion. Infrastructure required for those ships has to be in place and well planned.

If it rains, the ship could still call at St. Maarten. Guests have the choice to get off or not. It also could be you'd have a relaxing day at sea.

If the forecast is for "rain and showers and 7-10 mile an hr winds", you most likely will NOT go somewhere else. That forecast is NOT one that a cruise ship would divert to an alternate port. If it's that inclement, stay on the ship and enjoy the amenities. If it's really a crumby day, they may plan some additional daytime activities onboard.

Thanks in advance.

Not the Allure. It is too big for most of the ports in the Caribbean. Many of the ports it visits had to build new piers just for the Oasis and the Allure.

Which ports can accommodate the Allure? St. Martin, Falmouth in Jamaica, Cozumel? Is that it? Fort Lauderdale, of course.

Right now the Bahamas & Caribbean ports that can / do accommodate Oasis class ships are Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Martin, Falmouth, and Cozumel.

But that could change in the future as additional Oasis class ships are introduced into the fleet. (Oasis III is under construction and Oasis IV is planned).

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Right now the Bahamas & Caribbean ports that can / do accommodate Oasis class ships are Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Martin, Falmouth, and Cozumel.

But that could change in the future as additional Oasis class ships are introduced into the fleet. (Oasis III is under construction and Oasis IV is planned).

Labadee and Costa Maya can also handle the Oasis class ships.

Labadee and Costa Maya can also handle the Oasis class ships.

Yes - my mistake to omit Labadee. (Have been there twice on Oasis :o).

I believe the Oasis class temporarily called at Costa Maya prior to the pier at Falmouth being completed, so yes, that port would be able to handle them as well, but does not currently.

Who knows -- OP might have a complete itinerary change.

That happened to us in 2010 -- we were suppose to do a Western Caribbean cruise and ended up doing an Eastern Caribbean cruise.

OP might just end up doing a Western Caribbean cruise.

It wasn't announced until we were on the ship.

While I understand the spirit with which you say that, in reality that would not happen as a result of the weather indicated with the forecast from the link posted by MYCRUISEVACATIONS in post #2. Not nearly bad enough to consider re-routing to a whole new itinerary. That would require something far more severe such as a hurricane. Probably won't even miss the port for a sea day for what is shown on this forecast!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

As of 0000UTC 10/13 (8pm EDT on Sun.) TS Gonzalo has sustained winds of 45 mph. He's currently forecast to pass over the USVI and PR between Monday and Tue.; potentially increasing to hurricane strength.

The Allure's AIS data indicates it's heading to Nassau tonight. The normal route from there to St. Thomas would put it on a collision course with the storm on Tuesday night. I haven't a clue where she will go after Nassau.

Aloha,

John