Are all RCI ships filled with kids?

jkgourmet

I am NOT trying to insult anyone, and I am asking this question seriously.

We are a senior citizen couple and cruise frequently. We do not have children or grandchildren and find that when we travel or dine out, we prefer not having too many kids around.

We have done over 16 cruises on 6 different cruise lines. Right now, our preferred line is Celebrity, but not by much. We have specifically avoided RCI because we assume that the rock walls, skating rinks, zip lines, etc. will attract hoards of families with kids and teenagers.

Are we wrong in our assumptions?

We are a senior citizen couple and cruise frequently. We do not have children or grandchildren and find that when we travel or dine out, we prefer not having too many kids around.

We have done over 16 cruises on 6 different cruise lines. Right now, our preferred line is Celebrity, but not by much. We have specifically avoided RCI because we assume that the rock walls, skating rinks, zip lines, etc. will attract hoards of families with kids and teenagers.

Depends on date, itinerary and ship as to how many will be onboard.

That being said went on freedom over 1000 kids on board. You wouldn't have known.

There are plenty of places onboard to stay away if that's what you desire.

Generally speaking though I don't think there are as many on celebrity

Edited by Spurschick
Spelling

I think they are filled mostly with steel beams, nuts, bolts, carpet and FUN! But I suppose the ships could be filled with kids....could explain the motion the ship makes every so often with the kids bouncing inside the walls back and forth!

But in all seriousness, I really think it depends on when one cruises and which cruise ship they pick. We have always cruised in September and beginning of December and have never found very many kids on our cruises due to school just starting and it being right before Christmas break. Most parents won't take their kids out of school that early in the year or that close to a break.

Edited by Ocean_Waves

It depends on when, where, and for how long.

Go on a 2 week ocean crossing on a Vision or Radiance class; probably very, very few children; a handful. A near statistical insignificance.

Go on a 7 day on the Allure to the Caribbean during the summer...that's a whole different story.

Royal ships do have a Solarium; an adults only / quieter pool area that is free of any charge which is a benefit towards peace and quiet.

It depends on when, where, and for how long.

Go on a 7 day on the Allure to the Caribbean during the summer...that's a whole different story.

Oasis class has enough kids at any time of the year. It is exemplified over the holidays and school breaks.

I work with troubled teens as a profession. I too do not want to be overrun with kids when I'm on vacation. It's pretty simple and easy to avoid the kids on Royal by sailing at certain times of year.

Summer is out for us - too many kids, and too hot

Fall - avoid cruises that fall over long weekends, and during Thanksgiving. Parent are more likely to pull their youngsters out of school if they won't miss as many days.

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas is the best time to cruise if you want to avoid kiddos. Many times people are gearing up and saving for the holidays and going on a cruise doesn't fit in the budget.

Christmas holiday season - avoid like the plague

Just after Christmas until Spring Break season - Just like between Thanksgiving and Christmas it is one of the best times to cruise without a bunch of kiddos.

Spring Break - avoid

After Spring Break until school let out - usually the best time. Warmer temps, but not too hot, and few kiddos.

There are some general rules to keep in mind as well....

Shorter the cruise, the more chances for kids

Cruises leaving from mainland US (Florida) will have more kids

TA's generally have a handful of kids, as do most Repo cruises.

We have always cruised in September and beginning of December and have never found very many kids on our cruises due to school just starting and it being right before Christmas break. Most parents won't take their kids out of school that early in the year or that close to a break.

This. Exactly. Word for word. Also, it is less expensive when the kids aren't around. :D

It's funny, the two most frequent questions about passengers I see is if there are too many kids on board and if there are too many seniors on board. I have friends who still won't cruise because they're under the impression that cruise ships are nursing homes on the water (Well, Princess is maybe).

There has been a healthy mix of all ages on my past cruises.

I work with troubled teens as a profession. I too do not want to be overrun with kids when I'm on vacation. It's pretty simple and easy to avoid the kids on Royal by sailing at certain times of year.

Fall - avoid cruises that fall over long weekends, and during Thanksgiving. Parent are more likely to pull their youngsters out of school if they won't miss as many days.

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas is the best time to cruise if you want to avoid kiddos. Many times people are gearing up and saving for the holidays and going on a cruise doesn't fit in the budget.

Just after Christmas until Spring Break season - Just like between Thanksgiving and Christmas it is one of the best times to cruise without a bunch of kiddos.

Spring Break - avoid

After Spring Break until school let out - usually the best time. Warmer temps, but not too hot, and few kiddos.

You said it best. Thanks.

I have friends who still won't cruise because they're under the impression that cruise ships are nursing homes on the water (Well, Princess is maybe).

That's my plan......cheaper than a nursing home and a lot more fun. :p;)

I've been on cruises where adults were much worse than kids. I can avoid kids more than I can adults. Only thing that bothers me with kids, is in the elevators, when they press the buttons for every deck and when they gather on the stairs. Won't stop me from cruising though.

Gwen :)

It's funny, the two most frequent questions about passengers I see is if there are too many kids on board and if there are too many seniors on board. I have friends who still won't cruise because they're under the impression that cruise ships are nursing homes on the water (Well, Princess is maybe).

There has been a healthy mix of all ages on my past cruises.

Princess probably has total less kids and seniors. Its a similar demographic to Celebrity. It's more middle aged than anything. Holland America is probably best for seniors. If you want to avoid kids and families, avoid Royal Caribbean and Carnival. As others have written, it also depends on time of year, length of itinerary, and size of ship as to how many kids you'll see on a ship.

I am a senior citizen - and I work in a public school with kids. I always cruise in the summer or school breaks. I spent 2 weeks this past July on the Allure. I was never bothered by kids; more importantly, never disturbed by a child. Were there young people of all ages around? Yes. Were they in the eating venues? Again, yes. Were they on the pool deck? Of course they were. Were they in the entertainment places? Again, yes. Were the children I came across well behaved? Yes; in fact my DH and I commented several times that the kids were all well behaved. And, very amusing to us; they made us smile frequently.

Kids were around. We were all kids once. I am a grandparent of a special needs child. She may never walk unassisted. She will struggle with verbal communication. She will never be able to jump into a pool on a cruise ship and squeal with delight. She may be able to push all of the buttons on the elevator (not to stop the elevator on every floor) but to see them light up - for her, a simple joy not meaning to inconvenience anyone. She will never be able to run with a group of teenagers and block the steps.

When I see kids of all ages being, well, just being kids. I do not get angry or frustrated. I am happy for them because I know that they are healthy and normal. I know what the alternative is, and it's not pretty.

Relax folks. Enjoy your cruise. Enjoy your life.

Edited by sleepless

While we have a child. We prefer to cruise when its low "kiddie" season ;)

Our child is well mannered and very well behaved but I have been on way too many cruises with 1000's of rotten children sailing along with their parents that do nothing about it.

After a horrible experience during one Disney Cruise we decided to change our cruising week to the 3rd-4th week of January.

We LOVE that time frame.

Normally in the kids clubs there's a group of 20-30 kids for my son...not the normal 500-600 or more.

Next year we had to bump our week to the first week of February because our son has started high school and exams are at the end of January. We are hoping its the same atmosphere during that week as well!

When I see kids of all ages being, well, just being kids. I do not get angry or frustrated. I am happy for them because I know that they are healthy and normal. I know what the alternative is, and it's not pretty.

I don't get angry or frustrated by kids, just prefer to not have a ton of them on a cruise that is about me relaxing and disconnecting from the "real life".

I too know what an alternative is. I hear truly heartbreaking stories of neglect and abuse the youth I work with have endured in their lives. The kiddos I usually see on a cruise are well behaved, but it still reminds me of work. Frankly I go on a cruise to forget about work, not have reminders of work on my vacation.

I am a senior citizen - and I work in a public school with kids. I always cruise in the summer or school breaks. I spent 2 weeks this past July on the Allure. I was never bothered by kids; more importantly, never disturbed by a child. Were there young people of all ages around? Yes. Were they in the eating venues? Again, yes. Were they on the pool deck? Of course they were. Were they in the entertainment places? Again, yes. Were the children I came across well behaved? Yes; in fact my DH and I commented several times that the kids were all well behaved. And, very amusing to us; they made us smile frequently.

Kids were around. We were all kids once. I am a grandparent of a special needs child. She may never walk unassisted. She will struggle with verbal communication. She will never be able to jump into a pool on a cruise ship and squeal with delight. She may be able to push all of the buttons on the elevator (not to stop the elevator on every floor) but to see them light up - for her, a simple joy not meaning to inconvenience anyone. She will never be able to run with a group of teenagers and block the steps.

I could not agree with you more......I choose cruises that are convenient for ME....and whomever chooses to be on the cruise with me....I hope we ALL enjoy it.

We were on Brilliance of the Seas Canada/New England Cruise two weeks ago - only a handful of kids. And they were all toddlers, under the age of five. We usually cruise Sept/Oct and April (not Spring Break or Easter) and don't find that many kids. I think the most we have seen during those time periods was on Allure last April.

Also be careful of spring break(s). Various parts of the country have different weeks for spring breaks. Same goes for high school and university graduations. For some crazy reason I booked a cruise in June...I was 28 years old and my nickname at our table was grandma!

It's frequently not the behaviour of the child that is annoying...it's the lack of parenting that irritates me more.

This. Plus the prices are great since most folks are all-traveled-out from the Holiday Season, and Winter weather in the Caribbean will hands-down beat nearly anything at home.

Spring Break - avoid

The first week of our next B2B falls over Labor Day week 2015. It will be interesting to see if that's a big "kid" week or not. I'm guessing it won't be, since most schools are already in, or just starting back, that same week, but you never really know.

This year we sailed the 2 weeks following Labor Day week. First week of our cruise (9/7) the ship seemed empty. The H20 Zone rarely had anyone in it, and all the chairs were empty. My husband and I are 53 and 56, and we felt young that week. :)

The second week it felt like a completely different ship. Much more crowded everywhere, and more children for sure. Who would have thought it would be like this mid-September? We noticed a lot of Italians on this sailing, so perhaps that's when some European countries have their holiday break.