Possibly upgrading- suite guarantee? Compared to JS?

We're cruising on FOS in December. Myself, dh,4 year old son along with my in-laws. In-laws have never cruised before & this is their retirement gift.

We have connecting balconies currently booked, on deck 9. There's a price drop on suites right now and I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade? I honestly don't even know if the price drops are great or worth it, although they seem like a good deal? It's the December 14th sailing if anyone wants to look & give me their opinion of the pricing.

For my in-laws room with 2 people, it's offering a suite guarantee (W) as an option. However, for us (with 3), it's only offering a JS. Questions:

What's the difference between JS & W? Perhaps the best question is- what exactly is a suite guarantee?

I would *never* book a guarantee on a balcony level because I wouldn't want a horrible room & location. Is that also a concern with suites or are all the suites in prime locations?

We currently have connecting rooms & balconies & if we did the upgrade- we wouldn't....in your experience, how important is that?

I've cruised several times before but never knew to check for upgrades/price drops AFTER final payment. If I understand it correctly- I would pay the difference in what I paid & the current going rate, correct? Is there a particular time period that is best to check (we sail December 14) as it relates to our sailing date? Should I expect prices to fall even further?

Thank you!!!

With a W you're guaranteed at least a Jr. Suite and 99% of the time that's exactly what you'll get. And yes, unless it's for NEW BOOKINGS ONLY you'll pay the difference in what you paid and what the current price is. As for falling further? If we only knew.

PS often w/ a guarantee you get an assignment pretty quickly. In that case if you aren't happy w/ your cabin and there is another available cabin in that category, USUALLY you can switch very easily.

With a W you're guaranteed at least a Jr. Suite and 99% of the time that's exactly what you'll get. And yes, unless it's for NEW BOOKINGS ONLY you'll pay the difference in what you paid and what the current price is. As for falling further? If we only knew.

PS often w/ a guarantee you get an assignment pretty quickly. In that case if you aren't happy w/ your cabin and there is another available cabin in that category, USUALLY you can switch very easily.

Thank you for your quick reply! If I'm getting at least a JS- why would I be allowed to book a guarantee for my in-laws but not for my family of 3?

I would always jump at the opportunity to get a GS, but when traveling with family..................I would stay with the connection cabins.

I dunno, something about being close, may make them happy.

Just what I would do in this situation.

Otherwise I would say go for it.

Sea Ya

Let us know what you decide.

I can attest to that, they put my wife on deck 2 once (inside), and I got her moved up to 8. works on airlines to sometimes, go to the gate and ask for an exit. they usually hold them until the end

Edited by John&LaLa

Thank you for your quick reply! If I'm getting at least a JS- why would I be allowed to book a guarantee for my in-laws but not for my family of 3?

Not all JS are triples so they may want to limit availability to the few that are left.

You do NOT want all of you in the same cabin...and a JS is only ONE cabin...even tho it's nice for 2, it is NOT what you want with in-laws! Trust me.

Never said they were sharing. Do you read before you post. :confused:

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

We're cruising on FOS in December. Myself, dh,4 year old son along with my in-laws. In-laws have never cruised before & this is their retirement gift.

We have connecting balconies currently booked, on deck 9. There's a price drop on suites right now and I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade? I honestly don't even know if the price drops are great or worth it, although they seem like a good deal? It's the December 14th sailing if anyone wants to look & give me their opinion of the pricing.

For my in-laws room with 2 people, it's offering a suite guarantee (W) as an option. However, for us (with 3), it's only offering a JS. Questions:

What's the difference between JS & W? Perhaps the best question is- what exactly is a suite guarantee?

I would *never* book a guarantee on a balcony level because I wouldn't want a horrible room & location. Is that also a concern with suites or are all the suites in prime locations?

We currently have connecting rooms & balconies & if we did the upgrade- we wouldn't....in your experience, how important is that?

I've cruised several times before but never knew to check for upgrades/price drops AFTER final payment. If I understand it correctly- I would pay the difference in what I paid & the current going rate, correct? Is there a particular time period that is best to check (we sail December 14) as it relates to our sailing date? Should I expect prices to fall even further?

Thank you!!!

well for one the JS does NOT get access to the Concierge lounge nor does it have any of the other perks of a regular suite( enhanced room service menu, etc)

size wise that depends on what you get. there are some JS that have awesome balconies, and others that have a pole in the middle of the floor. most have really nice walk in closets.

define 'prime location'.

I prefer Grand suites or better but that is just personal preference.

well for one the JS does NOT get access to the Concierge lounge nor does it have any of the other perks of a regular suite( enhanced room service menu, etc)

define 'prime location'.

I prefer Grand suites or better but that is just personal preference.

Thanks :). Regarding location- I like to be higher up (decks 9 or 10 are my usual preferences) and for my in-laws, not too far of a walk from elevators.

Having a balcony with a pole in the middle would definitely bother me! Is there a way to know which balconies have that? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks :). Regarding location- I like to be higher up (decks 9 or 10 are my usual preferences) and for my in-laws, not too far of a walk from elevators.

Having a balcony with a pole in the middle would definitely bother me! Is there a way to know which balconies have that? Thanks!

Don't knock it. They can be a lot of fun. :D;)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Looked, the W is a great price for a 7 day, the regular JS price is good but not what I would say a great price. I f they don't move I would not be surprised if the JS goes down to around 1200pp. If it does the W might go away.

I looked for 2 people

Looked, the W is a great price for a 7 day, the regular JS price is good but not what I would say a great price. I f they don't move I would not be surprised if the JS goes down to around 1200pp. If it does the W might go away.

I looked for 2 people

Thanks for looking and providing feedback about the price! Having never sailed (or even looked at prices for) a suite, I am a bit clueless.

I wish we could both book guarantees. Are there any options here to snag the guarantee for my inlaws and wait to book a JS for us if price goes down (all while not losing the 2 cabins we have reserved?). If JS doesn't drop- idk that I want to upgrade.

Oh- or....are there connecting JS and balcony rooms? We could do JS room for inlaws and we could keep regular balcony?

You can see the deck plans here. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?shipCode=FR

My honest feedback would be for 3 you will not see much more of a drop for the JS. Book the W for the inlaws as that price is pretty low and just wait on the JS price and see what it does. You could upgrade very close to sailing, but remember to put 3 in when looking

You would have to give up your booked cabin to upgrade

Edited by setsail

Even though this is your inlaws first cruise, the fact is they will do fine wherever they are on the ship. We took my small town inlaws from Australia who had never before traveled internationally on their very first cruise and their cabin was on a different floor at the opposite end of the ship. End result? They explored the ship on their own, got addicted to the buffet for breakfast and lunch, played Bingo for free (found a card someone dropped on the floor) and won a strand of pearls, won jewelry at the jewelry store, won a raffle at the art auction, tasted champagne for the first time, went on a bridge tour, went on the morning walks, went to all sorts musical shows, cooking shows and other events that interested THEM and met us for dinner in the dining room at night to tell us what all they had been doing that day and show us all the stuff they won! They booked their own shore excursions and had a simply marvelous time! They were incredibly self-sufficient and really made the most of all the free things onboard the cruise. We had no idea some of the things they got involved in even existed, so I think that them being far away from us actually helped them.

So, book a suite if you want and don't worry about your inlaws. They will do great!

I would go ahead with the suite guarantee for in-laws and Jr Suite for you, hubby and child. The worst your in-laws would get is a Jr. Suite. Of course if the price is good enough the Grand Suites are nice and even larger. We have sailed in both and would take either again. We actually never use any of the "suite benefits", we just liked the extra square feet. They aren't that big of a deal. JMHO :)

If it were me, I would stay where you are with connecting balconies. The in-laws are likely to be more comfortable with having you nearby. Save the suites for another time. Just my two cents.

I agree especially if their son wants to see the grandparents who would be right next door.

If it were me, I would stay where you are with connecting balconies. The in-laws are likely to be more comfortable with having you nearby. Save the suites for another time. Just my two cents.

I agree.

I also remember recently where someone had a "W" guarantee and they gave them a D1 balcony. Can't remember the final results??????:eek:

I agree.

I also remember recently where someone had a "W" guarantee and they gave them a D1 balcony. Can't remember the final results??????:eek:

That was certainly an exception to what normally happens with a guarantee.

If I remember correctly, they were able to accomodate the person once they got onboard.

Thank you!!!

Is the price drop worth it? The JS offers more room. You might welcome that with three people in the cabin. Since you've cruised before, you know what a standard cabin is like. It is up to you to decide if the extra room is worth the extra cost.

There is very little difference between a JS and a W (suite guarantee). You are guaranteed at least a JS. You might do better, but most likely would get a JS. However, you don't get to pick the cabin you will be in.

What some believe to be a bad location would be a good location to others. All of the full suites are on deck ten. Deck eleven is the pool deck. You are likely to be woken up early in the morning by people moving chairs around and running around. If you do not get up early, that could be a problem for you.

JS cabins are all over the ship. Some are in the very back of the ship (rear facing), others are pretty far forward, some are on deck ten (meaning the pool deck is their ceiling) and some are in a good location on deck nine. Who knows which one you will get.

When to check for price drops? Every day.

I would do the upgrade to Junior Suites if you could find two that were next to/near each other in a location you like. Since you're travelling with other, I wouldn't do one guarantee and one JS. The risk of being far apart is too high, and you lose control of location.