Onboard credit not honored

Debzee53

We just got off the CB on Saturday (our 10th Princess cruise) and had our first real issue with customer service. I was wondering if anything like this has happened to anyone before.

When we received our final onboard bill, it did not reflect the $200.00 onboard credit we were supposed to receive. We brought this up at the purser's desk and they wanted written proof before they would reimburse us. We advised them that it was included with our cruise package (purchased through Princess) and it was clearly indicated on our cruise personalizer before we embarked. Since they were unable to find it in their records, and we were no longer able to access our cruise personalizer for this cruise, we were advised to contact Princess once we got home.

Once home, the Princess customer service representative could not locate this cruise credit either, nor could a supervisor, and NO ONE REALLY SEEMED TO CARE! When we told the supervisor that we would write to the corporate office, her only reply was that it wouldn't matter because SHE would be the one to read the letter.

I guess that the only reason we loved Princess so much was because we never ran into any customer service issues before. Lesson learned: Be sure to print every document you receive from Princess, just in case!

We just got off the CB on Saturday (our 10th Princess cruise) and had our first real issue with customer service. I was wondering if anything like this has happened to anyone before.

When we received our final onboard bill, it did not reflect the $200.00 onboard credit we were supposed to receive. We brought this up at the purser's desk and they wanted written proof before they would reimburse us. We advised them that it was included with our cruise package (purchased through Princess) and it was clearly indicated on our cruise personalizer before we embarked. Since they were unable to find it in their records, and we were no longer able to access our cruise personalizer for this cruise, we were advised to contact Princess once we got home.

Once home, the Princess customer service representative could not locate this cruise credit either, nor could a supervisor, and NO ONE REALLY SEEMED TO CARE! When we told the supervisor that we would write to the corporate office, her only reply was that it wouldn't matter because SHE would be the one to read the letter.

I guess that the only reason we loved Princess so much was because we never ran into any customer service issues before. Lesson learned: Be sure to print every document you receive from Princess, just in case!

I'm sorry this happened. Do you have a printout? I always print out a copy for my records. Did you book through a TA? They would have that info. Was it part of a promotion? If so, it should be easy to trace it. Good luck!

From past experience once you are off the ship it is pretty much too late to get things corrected. Another reason to print out your statement as soon as you get on board. At least you have time to contact Princess or your TA to get it corrected.

Lesson learned: Be sure to print every document you receive from Princess, just in case!

Sorry to read about your problem & thanks for sharing it as a cautionary tale for others.

In addition to bringing copies of our OBCs, I would also suggest checking the shipboard account at the beginning of the cruise. If there is a problem that gives me time to get it corrected before the end of the cruise.

The only time I had a similar problem, it turned out to be the travel agents error and they sent me a check after the fact. Hoping you have a copy of the reservation showing the credit. Anytime I have a credit, free gratuities, etc. I make a hard copy of the reservation.

Good lucK.

We prepay a lot of things before we board, and it doesn't show up on the cruise personalizer. Sometimes they email us, sometimes they don't. So, it's a little hard to keep a copy. I just go into my online banking and print the individual transaction. Don't know if that will help us, but it's all we can get. :(

Sorry for your issue, OP. That just stinks.

I think we are just out of luck this time but wanted to pass this on as a lesson learned. We booked this cruise very last minute, and since we booked through Princess we thought all the records were safely in place, so we concentrated on packing and flight plans. It was hard to believe how the credits just vanished and no one seemed to care. Thanks for listening and remember to keep those printers handy.

I'm so sorry that this happened to you. You should not have to print out information about OBC, but unfortunately it is a good idea.

We've been fortunate - only one problem, which we discovered early in the cruise when we checked our bill. It was not easy to get it corrected, but eventually, after many discussions with various Princess personnel, we did.

Good luck. I hope you are able to recover the funds.

:mad:

I just came home from a 10 day cruise on the Star. My niece is a doll and wanted to give me an onboard birthday present so she called Princess up and did a special card with a message from my new nephew and put $100 on my account. Nice! Only I never received the money or the card (which was promised by the Rep she spoke with), I didn't even know about it till my sister asked me did I get a special surprise onboard?

I'm really shocked about this! She called Princess today and a credit is coming thru on my credit card now, but I would have really liked it while I was away. I wonder if it would have ever shown up without her calling.

Anyway this is really bad management.

We had this problem once on a cruise. My husbands military credit did not show up on our statement 2 days into the cruise. We went to the Captain Circle desk with a printout of our invoice and summary from the personalizer clearly stating it was owed. She said she would check it with Princess headquarters and it should be applied within a couple of days. it was applied by 11:00 that night.

We always carry a file folder with all copies of invoices and personalizer information with us and we check our account daily.

Sorry this happened to you. Don't give up trying to get the credit. Forget the worker that said a letter would do no good.. If you have the paper work printed at home and a copy of your final bill, draft a letter and send the proof. Good luck.

You should, your TA should or Princess should be able to access a copy of your final booking confirmation. If the OBC was part of a Princess promo then it should appear on the booking confirmation. If it was promised by the Travel Agent as a T.A. perk it also appears on the booking confirmation as part of the total OBC allowed. So you must first search out where the OBC came from, where it should appear, and which party made the error. With documentation you should be able to correct this issue. Without documentation, maybe not.

For the future, we always carry a hard copy of our booking confirmation and a print out of the OBC's from the cruise personilizer. We then check our folios early on to make sure they are correct. On our last b2b cruise the OBC's for the second leg did not show up. We went to the customer service desk with documentation and they were on our folio the next day. No problems.

Edited by sknight

Perhaps the OP has a hard copy of her booking summary at home that will show the OBC. If so, I hope Princess does the right thing and honors the credit.

I sure don't print out EVERYTHING Princess sends me, but I do print OBC's and bring it with me. I also check my statement early in the cruise to be sure the OBC is there. Fortunately, we've never had a problem.

For all problems like this the customer relations desk cannot do much except send a message to AN OFFICE at had office. Go to the Captains Circle rep who has a direct line immediately by phone or internet to a person and can get things sorted out immediately :D:D:D

Ironically, the more we move toward becoming a paperless society, the more I find myself printing things out.

True! LOL! I have never printed out the OBC page, but thanks to this thread am taking a copy on my cruise next week!

You could also download all “paperwork” to your iPad and avoid taking the actual papers. Wait about 2 days into the cruise, and then print out your statements at the little kiosk near the Customer Relations desk on the CB. Then compare what Princess says your credits are with what you have received before leaving home. Be sure to request both statements at the kiosk (1 for each person in the cabin). That way you will have proof in your hands. We sailed on the CB a couple of weeks ago, and I thought there was a discrepancy, then discovered that I only had printed out MY statement--once I printed out my DH’s statement, it was OK.

So sorry this happened. It's happened to me several times and I always bring a copy of whatever documentation I have of any OBC (a printed copy rather than electronic since the PSD has to fax the home office for verification) plus I always check my folio a day or so into the cruise for OBC.

Unfortunately, if the PSD doesn't have the documentation to apply an OBC to your account, they have to have proof of it.

Last year, after boarding the Diamond Princess T/A, neither my stockholder nor FCC OBC had been applied. They added up to $400... not insignificant. I had a copy of my stockholder fax, including my brokerage proof and that OBC was applied the next day. They wouldn't accept my TA's statement so I contacted my TA who straightened out the FCC OBC and that was also applied.

Lesson learned: never assume, be prepared and don't leave home without your documentation.

Lessons Learned:

• Always save a copy of the Travel Summary before cruising (this contains a section on OBC). This can be printed before cruise even if changes cannot be made to your Personalizer.
  • For items which don't appear in the Credits section of the Travel Summary, obtain some proof from your booking agent (TA or Princess) (e.g. this applies to promotions with Princess pre-paid gratuities)
  • If you bring your own laptop/tablet/computer device, save all critical documents as .pdf files which can be printed upon need whilst onboard
  • For promotions print out (or pdf save) the terms of the promotion
  • Check for all expected OBC's within a day of boarding, allowing time for resolution whilst onboard

Bottom line, try to resolve the issue onboard the cruise itself.

If not, don't give up. Search your documentation for that email, brochure, or whatever document applied to your booking, and also for your confirmation. You should always have received a confirmation of your booking from the booking agent. Keep escalating to customer service and if needed to the head office for items of significance (like the OP's $200).

One last point - don't throw away documentation pre-cruise, as it may be needed. Post cruise is the time for neatness and cleanup.

The only problem I've had is not getting credit for my shareholder benefit OBC. I always check early in the cruise to make sure the credits are there. Fortunately, I'd brought along my proof of ownership. The worker at the front desk worked for a few days to get the credit applied and all was well. Now, it helps that they show your credits on the personalizer. This is a good reminder to print everything out and bring it with you.

That is why I always take a copy of my reservations showing my OBC. never know if something is going to happen. If I have my reservation showing the OBC clearing on there, they have to give it to me. I will also take a screen shot of my Cruise Personalizer to take just to make sure

Edited by karena1

Thanks OP for the cautionary warning. I have heard before to always print the OBC info and never have. This time I just did.

Here's hoping that you will find a way to get the credit that you were entitled to. Best of luck.

You could also download all “paperwork” to your iPad and avoid taking the actual papers.

They will need to have a hard copy to send in for verification.

If you bring your own laptop/tablet/computer device, save all critical documents as .pdf files which can be printed upon need whilst onboard.

Even with a laptop, you will not be able to connect to a printer to print anything out.

They lost a small OBC of mine, and I hadn't taken a copy. I used a lot of internet time searching back through emails to find the documentation, only to find you could not print out emails from the Internet cafe. So I forwarded the email to my ipad and took it to Customer services to show them. Bottom line was they only said they would try, and it never showed up.

Printed copies are now on my packing list.