Alaska Best Cruisline

reigle4

We are planning a cruise to Alaska in June of 2015. I am currently booked on Disney because of the children's amenities and we are possibly bringing my granddaughter. But more importantly is since this will be our first Alaskan cruise I want this to be memorable and awesome. I am not a cold weather person so this cruise needs to make me enjoy despite the lack of Caribbean water and sun....lol. What cruise-line is the best cruise-line to use for an Alaskan cruise. I also would like to do the Denali pass by train so please offer me all the opinions to help me make my final decision. Thank you in advance. I love cruise critic readers because they are so knowledgeable.

There is no "best". Disney could be best for some people. Instead, figure out where you want to go, then find a cruise that includes it.

As for your Denali mention. Going there involves a one way cruise. There is no "Denali Pass" by train???? You can GET to Denali by train, needing at least 2 overnights, then you need to get INTO Denali Park, by bus. The farther you go, the more you see, simple math. :) My min. recommendation is Eielson. http://www.nps.gov/dena tale some time and read up on the details.

Well, Chevy or Ford? McDonalds or Burger King? Peet's or Starbucks? There is no right or wrong answer to the "best" question.

A little reading on this board would reveal the Glacier Bay as a priority debate, and the few cruise lines that serve Glacier Bay.

Could you be asking about the White Pass Railway excursion out of Skagway? Many cruises stop there, but not absolutely all.

If you have never been to Alaska, I think it is a good chance you will be "wowed" by whatever cruise you take.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Read thru trip reports and photo journals in the STICKYs above. Quite a few of them include children of varying ages but I don't believe any of them used Disney. Parents are quite vocal about what worked or didn't on the cruise so their feedback will help you with your choices. Mollanjake and JozieRhodes provided photo journals of their family cruises and DIY land travel.

(There might be Disney reports in 2013 ...start with reply #45 where the reports are sorted by cruiseline).

The train to Denali is limiting because there is only one departure a day. Its an 8 hr journey from Anchorage to Denali. Check the Alaska Railroad web site for info. (The train trip from Seward to Anchorage is the most scenic train leg. ) Then consider a car for the drive to Denali ... the car gives you flexibility over your daily schedule and the ability to stop at other points of interest and wildlife viewing.

If you’re not going to go back into Denali National Park and only want a “drive by” of the mountain the train isn’t the way to go. The mountain is only visible about ¼ of the time. The views from the south side of the park near Talkeetna are excellent. By car, Talkeetna is less than 3 hours from Anchorage. You might consider a rental. It would add a lot of flexibility. Alaska is easy to navigate but the distances are extreme.

As mentioned there are no best cruise lines because in the end the most important opinion is your own. With that said, in terms of the on board cruise experience Disney gets high marks by many people including those who take children and/or grand children for a cruise.

Keith

Though this may have changed, I don't believe Disney will get you into Glacier Bay (no permits) nor do they offer an itinerary that will allow you to visit 'mainland' Alaska (Denali, Anchorage, etc).

Popular lines that will offer both of the above include Princess, HAL, Carnival, NCL.

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity can get you to Denali but have no permits to enter Glacier Bay.

Edited by thinfool