I wonder if Princess will ever do these things?

Dreamer333

Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Sea is coming out of dry dock and has some interesting changes.

Definitely not your grandmother's cruise anymore.

I'd like to see some of these on Princess

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6022

Some of the highlights:

Oasis of the Seas will offer passengers 20 restaurants to chose from...

Other new eateries onboard include: Izumi Hibachi & Sushi with a full teppanyaki menu, Sabor Taqueria & Tequila Bar, first introduced on Navigator of the Seas, Wonderland Imaginative Cuisine, offering avant garde dining, and Coastal Kitchen, a restaurant serving suite guests.

Oasis' internet offerings have also been upgraded with Royal Caribbean's 'Boatloads of Bandwidth' program, which sees the line partnering with O3b to offer land-like internet speeds.

Royal iQ app that allows passengers to make reservations for restaurants, shore excursions and spa appointments.

A total of 10 new suites have been added to the ship...

The suite-only Coastal Kitchen eatery... the line has put in a new exclusive lounge, The Suite Lounge, and sun deck area, The Sun Deck, just for suite passengers

I believe Princess's market is different than RCI's. Princess is marketing to their older, loyal clientele, except for their new ships, Royal & Regal, which are directed to a new client. If you look at all existing Princess ships, I think you will find that they all look VERY SIMILAR in layout and design. They want all their customers to feel "at home" no matter what ship they are on, which is why they all look alike, for the most part.

If I were to be blindfolded, it would be VERY HARD for me to decifer what ship I was on, as they all have the same basic deck plans, decor, deck names, venue names, etc. The only real difference is in the Wheelhouse Bar, which has different accessories and decor, by ship.

They realize the future is in the new clientele to cruising, without iliminating their established clientele. The established clientele is slowly dieing off, so their future is in those who are new to cruising. Accept it or not, but that is what is happening.

Cruising is constantly changing. It is about making a profit, not about passenger comfort or what the established clientelle wants (which seems to be no change, other that what THEY want). It seems to be a hard consept for most established clientelle to grasp :(.

If you look at all existing Princess ships, I think you will find that they all look VERY SIMILAR in layout and design. They want all their customers to feel "at home" no matter what ship they are on, which is why they all look alike, for the most part.

I believe they all look the same because it costs many less $$$ to build a new ship using essentially the same plans as an existing ship.

I believe they all look the same because it costs many less $$$ to build a new ship using essentially the same plans as an existing ship.

I am sure that plays into the equation as well :) :rolleyes: ;). David

Was it called the painted desert? I've been driving myself nuts trying to remember that place on Grand

Yes. Painted Desert. What a horrible design -- it was split across

a hallway leading to the main show lounge. When a show ended,

hundreds of people would walk through your restaurant.

Almost as good as the green screen - "Lime Light" - which

was quickly converted to storage.

I have a Princess Patter from the Golden Princess dated Nov. 17, 2007 that refers to it as the "Desert Rose Steakhouse". I have a pdf but it appears to be too big to attach as a file.

It may have been called something else on the Golden.

I try not to compare lines or even ships. There has never been a cruise where I could not find things I liked or didn't like. I will say that RC does big ships much better than Princess. I would choose Oasis over Royal.I would also choose Pacific or Coral over RCs smallest ships.

Quick question for you...I haven't really looked into DD too much but people here seem to think you need a reservation every night, isn't that just an option? you can just show up like you do for Princess Alternative Dining can't you?

The first ship (Quantum) has yet to sail so no one really knows, first hand, how it will actually work. It's been reported that you can just walk in like My Time Dining. You can make reservations now for the first cruise. Initial reports are mixed. Some report no problems. Others have had issues.

The ones reporting issues are the traditionalists who are trying to make Dynamic Dining like traditional dining. Just does not work like that. Lots of conspiracy theories about why Royal is changing some that a lot of old time cruisers value highly. None want to admit that today's cruisers just don't care for same table, same table mates, same wait staff, and two formal nights. Royal is trying to attract a new demographic. Just look at Quantum and you see the type of cruisers Royal is after.

Personally, I hope Princess adopts something like Dynamic Dining. But, then, I'll be honest, the best thing about Dynamic Dinind is the lack of formal nights.

see above in red

In the future, please do not edit my post to include things I did not say. I did not say the things in red.

The menus include about twice the number of entrees. And there are multiple restaurants. There is far more choices than traditional dining.

I believe Princess's market is different than RCI's. Princess is marketing to their older, loyal clientele, except for their new ships, Royal & Regal, which are directed to a new client. If you look at all existing Princess ships, I think you will find that they all look VERY SIMILAR in layout and design. They want all their customers to feel "at home" no matter what ship they are on, which is why they all look alike, for the most part.

If I were to be blindfolded, it would be VERY HARD for me to decifer what ship I was on, as they all have the same basic deck plans, decor, deck names, venue names, etc. The only real difference is in the Wheelhouse Bar, which has different accessories and decor, by ship.

They realize the future is in the new clientele to cruising, without iliminating their established clientele. The established clientele is slowly dieing off, so their future is in those who are new to cruising. Accept it or not, but that is what is happening.

Cruising is constantly changing. It is about making a profit, not about passenger comfort or what the established clientelle wants (which seems to be no change, other that what THEY want). It seems to be a hard consept for most established clientelle to grasp :(.

You nailed it. Sooner or later all cruise lines (maybe not Cunard) will adopt something like this.

Was it called the painted desert? I've been driving myself nuts trying to remember that place on Grand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think so. It was on one of the ship's I sailed. It was more Southwestern in nature than Mexican, in my opinion. It was decent but I never missed it on subsequent sailings.

In regards to RCI's changes, they seem fine for that size of a ship. I would not want to see Princess get rid of the Traditional and Anytime Dining rooms/options.

Let us not forget that when Princess launched their Anytime Dining, they were the first mainstream cruise line to offer an open seating concept. Even though they still offered traditional two seating fixed dining I can remember many people decrying how Princess was out to "destroy" the cruise experience. All NCL did with their Freestyle Dining was to eliminate fixed seating times, and again I remember the outcry ...... fast forward to the present where EVERY mainstream cruise line is offering some sort of open seating dining concept in a main dining room environment.

What RCCL is trying to do with Dynamic Dining is appeal to a broader range of palates and choices with their main dining rooms. As much as I like rotating dining menus there really is a lot of food that is very similar in preparation/taste. If we consider that the MDR on most ships has 4-6 main course options an evening then look at Dynamic Dining where there realistically are 24-32 options per evening (6-8 per venue) I see it as a real win for passengers. RCCL has indicated that there will still be an "always available" menu of basics in each of the restaurants as well to appeal to the less adventurous eaters, and they will still be able to cater to passengers who need gluten free, low sodium, sugar free, etc. My hope is that with 3-4 finishing kitchens putting out a defined menu each evening that the food quality will be much higher than it has been in recent years. I could also see them rotating items on/off the menus more frequently to appeal to repeat cruisers desiring something different. I think it will take them at least a year to really see what works and what doesn't and I expect the menu concepts to change considerably as they learn and grow.

The cruise industry has seen immense growth and changes over the last 20 years, and it will continue to evole and change to suit the changing needs of its customers. Sometimes that change will be at the expense of alienating a segment of their passenger base, while attracting a whole new set of clients. I really see cruise lines going after passengers who don't see themselves as "cruisers" because they don't want to be tied to a set dining schedule, entertainment schedule or dress code (Part of NCL's success in Freestyle cruising). Some lines will change less dramatically (Princess, HAL, Celebrity) while others will completely try (or have already) and reinvent the cruise experience.

A lot of us here on Cruise Critic are extremely experienced cruisers, and many don't like change, but for every person on Cruise Critic there are hundreds of other passengers (and thousands of potential passengers) that the cruise lines are also trying to cater to who seem to be more receptive to (and desirous of) the changes that all the lines are making.

What RCCL is trying to do with Dynamic Dining is appeal to a broader range of palates and choices with their main dining rooms. As much as I like rotating dining menus there really is a lot of food that is very similar in preparation/taste. If we consider that the MDR on most ships has 4-6 main course options an evening then look at Dynamic Dining where there realistically are 24-32 options per evening (6-8 per venue) I see it as a real win for passengers. RCCL has indicated that there will still be an "always available" menu of basics in each of the restaurants as well to appeal to the less adventurous eaters.

For the adventurous eaters, then there are 6-8 acceptable entrees on each menu. For myself (who does not eat seafood or pork), there may be one or two. For my spouse (who is a vegetarian) there may be just one or two.

Thus, on a two week cruise with just four no-surcharge dining rooms, we would likely have to order the same food three or four times with dynamic dining. As Princess does it now, we would have 14 different meals over 14 days in a main dining room.

I assume that the menus posted on the RCCL web site are the complete menus. As far as an "always available" menu, since the menus do not change, everything listed on each menu is "always available" in that dining room.

All of the changes they made are designed to cost us more and to make them more money. Sorry but I am not interested. Will stick with Princess.

Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Sea is coming out of dry dock and has some interesting changes.

Definitely not your grandmother's cruise anymore.

I'd like to see some of these on Princess

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6022

Some of the highlights:

Oasis of the Seas will offer passengers 20 restaurants to chose from...

Other new eateries onboard include: Izumi Hibachi & Sushi with a full teppanyaki menu, Sabor Taqueria & Tequila Bar, first introduced on Navigator of the Seas, Wonderland Imaginative Cuisine, offering avant garde dining, and Coastal Kitchen, a restaurant serving suite guests.

Oasis' internet offerings have also been upgraded with Royal Caribbean's 'Boatloads of Bandwidth' program, which sees the line partnering with O3b to offer land-like internet speeds.

Royal iQ app that allows passengers to make reservations for restaurants, shore excursions and spa appointments.

A total of 10 new suites have been added to the ship...

The suite-only Coastal Kitchen eatery... the line has put in a new exclusive lounge, The Suite Lounge, and sun deck area, The Sun Deck, just for suite passengers

You do NOT have to make reservations for each night. You have the option to do so but it is NOT required.

As the RCCL web site says:

Q: Do I have to make reservations prior to the cruise, or will I be able to make reservations once onboard?

A: In order to satisfy all guests’ preferences, we encourage guests to make restaurant reservations prior to their cruise. However, once onboard, guests will have the ability to make and edit reservations.

Q: Are reservations made on a first come, first serve basis?

A: Yes, once a restaurant is full, an alternative restaurant recommendation will be made. We encourage guests to experience a different restaurant each night.

The Quantum will have superfast bandwidth, more bandwidth than all other existing cruise ships have in total.

It sounds as if this capability might be expanded to other ships.

Initially I read this is only in the Caribbean. I do not know if this high bandwidth will be available in other areas of the world that RCCL sails.

I have not seen pricing options for passengers.

Yeah but seeing one has steak and lobster every night, I think I'd live :)

The do seem to have 8 appetizers and 8 entrees so it's not that bad.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/dining/restaurants/american-icon-grill/

Looking at this link enforces my belief that it would not work for me. I saw no vegetarian entrée - only sides. That would leave me rather hungry. Not ideal for a meal on vacation.

P&J

You do understand that those 20 restaurants replace the MDR onboard, which is no more under Dynamic Dining (similar to My Time Dining, or NCL's freestyle). Since you now need to make reservations for every meal, the mobile app to allow you to do so only makes sense.

Ugh, what a pain in the *%$.

Remind me never to sail this ship or any others that follow suit.

As someone who didn't care for anytime dining (and agrees with hubby just a few weeks after our one time with AT, that it lacked a major unique thing that we liked about going on cruises), I don't think this is an improvement at all. Why not keep at least one dining venue for those who like a regular waitstaff and don't want to be dealing with having to make reservations every day of one's cruise.

And the article posted doesn't specify whether these new restaurants are included with the fare or have a cost.

Personally I think we need smaller ships not bigger ones, the big ships just cause problems they take forever to load and unload in the ports, many ports are instantly flooded with tourist when the big ships show up, and it takes forever to get from point to point onboard, the next thing you know they will come with a shuttle tram to get from one end to the other. I can see it now an inverted monorail track hanging off the Lido deck with 4 stops fore and aft on port and starboard.

Edited by PenguinLife

For the adventurous eaters, then there are 6-8 acceptable entrees on each menu. For myself (who does not eat seafood or pork), there may be one or two. For my spouse (who is a vegetarian) there may be just one or two.

Thus, on a two week cruise with just four no-surcharge dining rooms, we would likely have to order the same food three or four times with dynamic dining. As Princess does it now, we would have 14 different meals over 14 days in a main dining room.

I assume that the menus posted on the RCCL web site are the complete menus. As far as an "always available" menu, since the menus do not change, everything listed on each menu is "always available" in that dining room.

Considering that there's quite a bit of choice on the Princess menus (especially if you include the "always available") and that you're not seeing the same menu everyday, the current system on Princess seems much better. I'm a pretty picky eater (no seafood and I usually avoid any pork or beef) and I usually can find something. If not, I go with the "always available" chicken.

Only if you had included "my comments in red"

I thought it was obvious that he was adding comments.

I was on the Sapphire was it was pretty new (third month of sailing) and I seem to remember that the Mexican cuisine dining room was called the Santa Fe and the Asian one was called something Moon. No matter, we ate in the International Dining Room each night, and often the waiter will show us a menu for one of the four small dining rooms and ask if we want to order something from it.