I wonder if Princess will ever do these things?

Dreamer333

Was it called the painted desert? I've been driving myself nuts trying to remember that place on Grand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For some reason Santa Fe rings a bell. I was sorry to see it go. I do like my chips and salsa with a drink. :)

Painted Dessert was the name, even in 2007 when it had become a steak house.

It was Painted Desert. It was also on the Golden and Star Princess.

It was more Southwestern than Mexican.

I remember it was open for lunch also.

Edited by Coral

If all ships offered the same thing they would end up pleasing only one kind of passengers. I think it would be as silly as having all hotels offering the same things. Hopefully Princess will keep it's personality and not go that way and for those of us who do not like such things, we will still have a cruise line cathering to our tastes. I am sure it is very well done and can be very enjoyable, but just not the ambiance I look for when cruising. I might try it for a special occasion ( sailing with friends for example) but am very happy with all the different ship options Princess offers right now. And I would hate hate hate having to make a reservation for each dinner.

RCCL is switching to what they call "dynamic dining." This concept eliminates traditional dining, both the fixed time every evening and what Princess calls anytime.

With dynamic dining, there will be several restaurants that will be free every evening, but most will have a charge. The free restaurants (other than the buffet) will each have its own menu which does not change from night-to-night. In other words, you can still have the same dining room service you had in the past, but with a single menu for the entire cruise if you keep to that dining room.

Also with dynamic dining, at least on Quantum OTS, one of the no-charge restaurants will be formal night every evening. The others will not have a formal night at all. On Quantum, there will thus be three restaurants (with three non-changing menus) that those who do not want to dress up for can use with no charge. Of course the buffet is also available.

This system seems designed to force passengers into extra-cost restaurants to avoid menu boredom.

I hope this concept of a single fixed menu in the main dining room never comes to Princess.

The one thing Dynamic Dining is not designed to do is force passengers into extra-cost restaurants. There simply aren't sufficient seating in the extra-cost restaurants to justify the costs of converting to Dynamic Dining.

Royal has decided that the cruising public prefers something less structured than traditional dining. Or MTD for that matter.

Why would you prefer RCL's policy in the Caribbean? Those are the itineraries where I am most likely to want to enjoy wine on my balcony and so two bottles per stateroom per cruise would definitely not cut it. They'd be gone in a day and a half leaving me with only the ship's supply. Conversely, if I were in a noted wine region, I would probably be enjoying wine while on shore with less need to have a case in my room. Under those circumstances, RCL's limitation of two bottles for the entire cruise might be workable. Either way, there is going to be a bottle of wine on my dinner table every night, so I will always vote for a policy that allows me to pull wine from my cellar to enjoy on my vacation. Even if I have to pay $15 per bottle.

Just a personal preference. My issue with cruise line wine policies has always been more towards being able to buy it in port rather than at embarkation. I love to tour wineries by day and sip their wine at night. Can't do that on RCL as you can only bring on at embarkation. The only place we've really taken on 4 or 5 is when we sailed out of Vancouver and I could take some of my high end stuff from our cellar. I'd be perfectly fine taking on two bottles for a caribbean cruise and not paying corkage. I'm probably more likely to buy a drink package in the caribbean over the med. too.

The one thing Dynamic Dining is not designed to do is force passengers into extra-cost restaurants. There simply aren't sufficient seating in the extra-cost restaurants to justify the costs of converting to Dynamic Dining.

Royal has decided that the cruising public prefers something less structured than traditional dining. Or MTD for that matter.

Quick question for you...I haven't really looked into DD too much but people here seem to think you need a reservation every night, isn't that just an option? you can just show up like you do for Princess Alternative Dining can't you?

Actually - NCL decided this. I think RCCL is just deploying it on their ships now. It is almost like they are copying NCL.

It really amazes me how many things NCL got right about the direction of cruising (if we like it or not - it is the direction that cruising is going).

If Princess decided to copy Royal Caribbean, they wouldn't be Princess anymore.

There would be 2 Royal Caribbean Lines instead.

With so many people complaining these days that the cruise lines are all beginning to look exactly the same, is it such a wise idea to encourage us do do it even more?

We have been cruising Royal Caribbean for a while now. While the Mariner of the Seas and Adventure of the Seas aren't nearly as big as the Oasis or Allure, we are actually looking forward to being on the smaller Island Princess in December and the Vision of the Seas next year.

We enjoyed our RCI cruises, but don't need all the "bells and whistles" of a huge floating resort while on a cruise!

Just my opinion.

With so many people complaining these days that the cruise lines are all beginning to look exactly the same, is it such a wise idea to encourage us do do it even more?

Not a wise idea at all. It is kind of funny (or not) to think that in 10 or 15 years we may be looking back on the recent years as the "golden age" of cruising the same way people now look back on cruises they took 15 or more years ago. :eek:

RC is very innovative, but what they make up for in the area of technology, they lack in service. I've cruised with them several times, but there are things in terms of service they could learn from Princess. In my opinion, it's like comparing apples and oranges. Two totally different cruise experiences.

So are you saying Royal Caribbean just became NCL 2. All mass market cruise lines copy each other

Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Sea is coming out of dry dock and has some interesting changes.

Definitely not your grandmother's cruise anymore.

I'd like to see some of these on Princess

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6022

Some of the highlights:

Oasis of the Seas will offer passengers 20 restaurants to chose from...

Other new eateries onboard include: Izumi Hibachi & Sushi with a full teppanyaki menu, Sabor Taqueria & Tequila Bar, first introduced on Navigator of the Seas, Wonderland Imaginative Cuisine, offering avant garde dining, and Coastal Kitchen, a restaurant serving suite guests.

Oasis' internet offerings have also been upgraded with Royal Caribbean's 'Boatloads of Bandwidth' program, which sees the line partnering with O3b to offer land-like internet speeds.

Royal iQ app that allows passengers to make reservations for restaurants, shore excursions and spa appointments.

A total of 10 new suites have been added to the ship...

The suite-only Coastal Kitchen eatery... the line has put in a new exclusive lounge, The Suite Lounge, and sun deck area, The Sun Deck, just for suite passengers

i hope not, would be no more princess for me...reminds me of NCL

Personally, I hope Princess does not follow suit with RCL. When I'm on a cruise I would prefer it to be calming and relaxing. I don't want to feel like I'm in a mall, in a land based park surrounded by almost everything I could do without ever leaving home. I realize that what I like, others may not like and to each his own. Happy cruising all !

Quick question for you...I haven't really looked into DD too much but people here seem to think you need a reservation every night, isn't that just an option? you can just show up like you do for Princess Alternative Dining can't you?

Correct, you do not have to make reservations in advance. But so many passengers will that you might have a very long wait to get into one of the three non-formal restaurants that do not have a surcharge.

From the RCCL web site: "In order to satisfy all guests’ preferences, we encourage guests to make restaurant reservations prior to their cruise. However, once onboard, guests will have the ability to make and edit reservations. once a restaurant is full, an alternative restaurant recommendation will be made. We encourage guests to experience a different restaurant each night."

Edited by caribill

One of the most enjoyable aspects of cruising for me is being able to expand my food horizons. If dining rooms go to a fixed menu for the entire voyage, it's just like eating at home (where we rotate through a dozen or so dishes, perhaps). I go on cruises to try new foods and new twists on old favorites.

The one thing Dynamic Dining is not designed to do is force passengers into extra-cost restaurants. There simply aren't sufficient seating in the extra-cost restaurants to justify the costs of converting to Dynamic Dining. With at least 8 restaurants that have a surcharge, there are plenty of seats available over the course of an evening.

Royal has decided that the cruising public prefers something less structured than traditional dining. Or MTD for that matter. Having all restaurants (except maybe the buffet) have a fixed menu for the entire cruise sounds very structured to be.

see above in red

Edited by caribill

After googling around, I have found it was called the Painted Dessert.

I have a Princess Patter from the Golden Princess dated Nov. 17, 2007 that refers to it as the "Desert Rose Steakhouse". I have a pdf but it appears to be too big to attach as a file.

Edited by freetocruise