Live review with pics, Equinox, Oct 27, TA Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale.

cl.klink

Joel did you do a Celebrity tour in Teneriffe or a private one? Have only been there once and that was over 30 years ago so we are looking forward to visiting next October when we are on a N. Spain, Portugal and Canary Isles cruise on Eclipse again.

Happy Anniversary and enjoy your sea days!

Pic number two is so beautiful and dramatic. Tenerife looks quite mountainous

Is that Devil's mountain in the background? I seem to recall that from the 1977 KLM-Pan Am incident. May they all rest in peace.

Yes, Tenerife is mountainous. The pic #2 was actually from where we were eating dinner at Blu (the blue in the photo looked that way though - not tricks) as we sailed counterclockwise leaving Santa Cruz on the northeast side of the island, here due north of the island looking down south onto it a bit after sunset.

That terrible plane accident did happen at Tenerife. I remembered it when we drove past the airport and it was discussed. Two 747s hit each other on the run way. Many errors compounded themselves. The airport is strangely up inland on a hill, making fog that comes there sometimes one of the issues. No accidents here since.

- Joel

joel....still enjoying reading your posts. thank you again for taking so much time from your vacation to let us all know about the cruise and your impressions of the ports.

one thing i'd like to see are the breakfast and dinner menus from blu. i don't mean every day, but just a sampling would be interesting to see.

i'm sure they have lots of activities planned for all the sea days ahead of you.

one thought about the euros you have left over.....book another cruise to europe! by the way, do you or have you purchased a future cruise deposit and/or booking? what benefits does it have for you to do that? i'm asking since i'm new to celebrity and i don't know their policies about that. i always buy a future cruise credit from princess.

thank you again for all of your reporting.

and by the way, happy anniversary!

Here is a dinner menu from Blu. I'll have more later.

955cf463b6f5964ff6d7d52d4c837db2.jpg

Breakfast menu is always the same.

d7b227165f4af893d684b9807b3289c5.jpg

More on the Future Cruise promo later. We actually did sign up for one already, not sure we'll use it or change to another one later. We signed up for Antartica 2016. There is a special session on the promo I'm attending tomorrow and I'll update you after that. For me, I wanted something to look forward to, though, to avoid the "what a great trip now I'm depressed to be normal again" feeling after this trip ends!

- Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe hang onto your euros? You'll probably want to do another trip like this. Otherwise you take a hit when you convert the dollars to euros and another hit when you convert the euros back to dollars. Just a thought. I always managed to spend mine. And then some. :)

I like the karma of that!

- Joel

Joel did you do a Celebrity tour in Teneriffe or a private one? Have only been there once and that was over 30 years ago so we are looking forward to visiting next October when we are on a N. Spain, Portugal and Canary Isles cruise on Eclipse again.

Happy Anniversary and enjoy your sea days!

Yes, Celebrity tour. It was pretty good. It was the one that went to the Cañadas caldera in Mt. Teide national park. Priced well and highly recommend it, but there were several good private companies that would have been fine if I'd planned well. The top ones on TripAdvisor looked fine.

- Joel

Guest USC Traveler

joel...thanks for the menus. all the selections appear to be yummy, especially the smoothies and salmon platter!

once again, hope you're having a fabulous anniversary!

Edited by USC Traveler

That terrible plane accident did happen at Tenerife. I remembered it when we drove past the airport and it was discussed. Two 747s hit each other on the run way. Many errors compounded themselves. The airport is strangely up inland on a hill, making fog that comes there sometimes one of the issues. No accidents here since.

The norther airport can be very foggy, so is now only used for National flights.

Another airport was built in the south (away from the mountains) and is the International tourist airport.

There are micro climates in Tenerife, caused by Teide.

The weather in the north is much cooler and does experience some rain, in fact I have seen snow on the mountain, but only on the norther face.

The south is drier and hotter, in fact it has an all year round tourist season.

Maybe hang onto your euros? You'll probably want to do another trip like this. Otherwise you take a hit when you convert the dollars to euros and another hit when you convert the euros back to dollars. Just a thought. I always managed to spend mine. And then some. :)

That's the excuse I use every time for my DH: keep the spare notes and change as we may need them again (when I book another cruise) :D.

The norther airport can be very foggy, so is now only used for National flights.

Another airport was built in the south (away from the mountains) and is the International tourist airport.

There are micro climates in Tenerife, caused by Teide.

The weather in the north is much cooler and does experience some rain, in fact I have seen snow on the mountain, but only on the norther face.

The south is drier and hotter, in fact it has an all year round tourist season.

The north is much greener than the south, and prettier IMHO.

As you say, the southern beaches/resorts are visited year round, especially by the British - coincidently, 4 of my DS's class mates were all at the same resort at the same :eek:.

Joel,

Thanks for the excellent review. Your photos have brought back some wonderful memories of our previous cruises ;).

Still unsure if I could pack my shoes in your 1 carryon, let alone my toiletries :D!

I assume you are addressing Joel...but if I might chime in, I have a FitBit and love it. It's been about 18 months and it goes everywhere with me...including a Mediterranean cruise on Equinox last October. I use it primarily to count my steps, which is a great incentive to walk, walk, walk. It has many other features (I use MyFitnessPal on my phone to track my calories, but I think FitBit does that also).

Hope that helps.

Susan

Thanks lola2013

I am waiting till the fitbit Charge comes out (in a couple of weeks) and intend to purchase one. Nothing like a little motivation to be more active. Glad to hear you've had yours for so long and it's still ticking!!!

Thanks again

Eileen

Thank you for your review, it's been really enjoyable!

I noticed that you have a FitBit. I'm in the market for a fitness device and am wondering which one you have and if you would recommend it.

Thanks

Eileen

Yes, it's a very basic one. If keeps track of steps. Planning on getting the Apple watch when if comes our, and it's functionality will eclipse the fit it's I think.

- Joel

9312112e458f479147d91786781598cf.jpg

Nice watch. Love those bargains. Having followed your post these last few days I booked a TA from Rome to Ft Lauderdale. It is on the Constellation, a year from today, not my favorite ship but it is going to Morroco, Rod needs to step foot on Africa for his 7th continent. I'm going to see if Celebrity will cut you in on the commission.

Cherre

Nice watch. Love those bargains. Having followed your post these last few days I booked a TA from Rome to Ft Lauderdale. It is on the Constellation, a year from today, not my favorite ship but it is going to Morroco, Rod needs to step foot on Africa for his 7th continent. I'm going to see if Celebrity will cut you in on the commission.

Cherre

Hah!