using Luggage Valet with TSA Pre-Check

virginialucy

We missed a connecting flight due to mechanical issues on our 1st flight and could not get a flight out of Houston until the next morning. Our luggage was put on one of the flights that left Houston the night before so the airlines do put luggage on flights that you are not on.

Mary Lou

F

Jenna,

Their luggage could have arrived on an earlier flight. The TSA rule on luggage is that you cannot separate your self from your luggage, but the airlines can. For example if you change your flight very last minute to an earlier flight if your luggage did not make the transfer they will pull you off the plane.

Have you ever taken a flight and your luggage went to another location and or did not arrive with you? It happens all the time. Especially when traveling on the regional carriers.

The airlines may separate you and put your luggage on an earlier or later flight for any reason, usually it is a weight and balance issue.So yes their luggage could have arrived sooner if the airline decided to seperate them from their bag, it happens infrequeny, but it does happen.

Sure, but then the luggage is not on the carousel or coming off with your flight first, it's sitting in the baggage claim office.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Celebrity DOES print boarding passes as well as luggage claim tags. This is NOT done more than 24 hours in advance. It is a standard boarding pass with the airline bar code. If TSA precheck info is missing you need to reprint the pass at the airport.

We have sometimes been TSA pre. Sometimes one of us is and sometimes both. We have always thought it was random. Is that not the case? If it matters we fly southwest.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sure, but then the luggage is not on the carousel or coming off with your flight first, it's sitting in the baggage claim office.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

This can depend on luggage service at the arrival airport as well. Some airports put in baggage office, some behind a rope at carousel, and some will put the luggage on the baggage belt with the appropriate flight incoming luggage. A lot has to do with how many people they have working in baggage, how much storage space there is, and how well trained the staff is.

We have sometimes been TSA pre. Sometimes one of us is and sometimes both. We have always thought it was random. Is that not the case? If it matters we fly southwest.

It IS random unless you sign up for it.

It comes with Global Entry ($100/pp for 5 years) and another program that I forgot the name of that I think is $85/pp for 3years.

http://www.cbp.gov/global-entry/about

It comes with Global Entry ($100/pp for 5 years) and another program that I forgot the name of that I think is $85/pp for 3years.

I have a known traveler id through Global Entry. More often than not I still don't get pre-check and no one can answer why not..frustrating.

Nexus, which requires, screening, interviews with Canadian and U.S. Border officials, finger printing and education is $50 / 5 year (when I first got it and my renewal earlier this month) and includes Global Entry.

If your not getting TSA Pre Check, make sure your known traveler number is entered in the correct spot in the airline account that your flying with. If you don't get it after checking remove it, save and re-enter.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Nexus, which requires, screening, interviews with Canadian and U.S. Border officials, finger printing and education is $50 / 5 year (when I first got it and my renewal earlier this month) and includes Global Entry.

If your not getting TSA Pre Check, make sure your known traveler number is entered in the correct spot in the airline account that your flying with. If you don't get it after checking remove it, save and re-enter.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I have a known traveler id through Global Entry. More often than not I still don't get pre-check and no one can answer why not..frustrating.

Before you fly (every time!!!) go into your reservation on line and make sure your known traveler number is in your reservation.

The airline is supposed to remember it but it isn't always in mine. I make sure to add it.

It's worked so far.

Can someone advise how you sign up for Luggage Valet.

I know we have used it previously but on our last cruise in November I didn't see anything about it being offered. I didn't even think about it since we had a 2:00 PM flight.

Jim

Can someone advise how you sign up for Luggage Valet.

I know we have used it previously but on our last cruise in November I didn't see anything about it being offered. I didn't even think about it since we had a 2:00 PM flight.

Jim

As I mentioned previously in this thread, we used Luggage Valet on last week's Equinox cruise. If I had not seen this thread back last November I would have missed it because it was only briefly mentioned in the daily newsletter. The brief message just vaguely mentioned it and if interested, go to Customer Relations for more details. I did so the next morning and was given a form to fill out and return within a certain time.

I do not think that Celebrity is pushing this benefit at all. I could not find any mention of it on their website the last time I checked.

Bottom left corner of Celebrity home page

Look for Special Services

Then Outstanding Service

luggage valet is there

As I remember, I just did a "search" for luggage valet on their website and got zero hits. Gave up at that point. I wonder if Customs and the TSA prefer to keep this benefit low key. It would be interesting to learn how many people use it, or even know of it even while on their ship.

Then I'm lucky since more often than not I am TSA pre and I am not part of the global entry.

Here is the website with info on how to apply for TSA Precheck:

http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck

You fill out an application online, then make an appointment to appear at one of the designated offices to be fingerprinted. There are multiple offices, luckily we had one right near our home. Our KTN (known traveler number) was available online in just a few days, and we got an official letter at some point after that. Once you have your number, enter it in your airline profile and there is also a place when you make your reservation. The notation should then appear on your boarding pass, and you sail right through the Precheck line. Cost is $85 but if you have an American Express Platinum card, they will automatically refund the charge. TSA Precheck is for domestic flights, Global Entry is separate and is for international flights.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

It INCLUDES Global Entry?

As I mentioned previously in this thread, we used Luggage Valet on last week's Equinox cruise. If I had not seen this thread back last November I would have missed it because it was only briefly mentioned in the daily newsletter. The brief message just vaguely mentioned it and if interested, go to Customer Relations for more details. I did so the next morning and was given a form to fill out and return within a certain time.

I do not think that Celebrity is pushing this benefit at all. I could not find any mention of it on their website the last time I checked.

Thanks for the information. I seem to remember seeing in in the daily but must have just tossed it out. I guess I will be out of luck on my next cruise as my flight is at 11:50 am.

Thanks for all the responses..

Thanks for the information. I seem to remember seeing in in the daily but must have just tossed it out. I guess I will be out of luck on my next cruise as my flight is at 11:50 am.

Thanks for all the responses..

The cutoff time for flight departure is 11:30AM from FLL. I think(?) it was an hour later if departing from MIA. (Port Everglades BTW). The Port of Miami would likely have reversed times I assume. We were lucky, our FLL departure time was 11:30AM. We were at the airport, through security, and eating breakfast a long time before 11:30.

There are a number of ways to get a known traveler number, and qualify for TSA Pre Check, directly through the TSA is only one way, Global Entry is another, as is Nexus but there are a few more.

For a while last year TSA expanded TSA Precheck and was testing automatically granting it to certain frequent travelers, which they still do some, but have scaled it back a bit as well. Flying often, flying in premium service cabins or being an elite member of a frequent flyer program all impact your likelihood of getting the designation in a boarding pass.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

The cutoff time for flight departure is 11:30AM from FLL. I think(?) it was an hour later if departing from MIA. (Port Everglades BTW). The Port of Miami would likely have reversed times I assume. We were lucky, our FLL departure time was 11:30AM. We were at the airport, through security, and eating breakfast a long time before 11:30.

Thanks... I thought the deadline was 12:00 Noon. I am booked on a Transatlantic arriving Miami and we are flying out of Miami. Will have to inquire further .

When we used it a couple years ago we had to retrieve our bags and clear customs then once through customs we turned the bags back over to Celebrity. It seems from the discussions that you don't have to claim the bags now. Is this correct?

Jim

Happy sailing,

Jenna

It INCLUDES Global Entry?

Nexus does include global entry privileges.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/nexus/global-entry-kiosks

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thanks... I thought the deadline was 12:00 Noon. I am booked on a Transatlantic arriving Miami and we are flying out of Miami. Will have to inquire further .

When we used it a couple years ago we had to retrieve our bags and clear customs then once through customs we turned the bags back over to Celebrity. It seems from the discussions that you don't have to claim the bags now. Is this correct?

Jim

You do not see your bags until you are at you're home airport. However, I do not know if the Customs' rules are different for ships that did not start at the same port as the end port. You can send Celebrity an email (from their website) and they should be able to get you an answer.

We missed a connecting flight due to mechanical issues on our 1st flight and could not get a flight out of Houston until the next morning. Our luggage was put on one of the flights that left Houston the night before so the airlines do put luggage on flights that you are not on.

Mary Lou

Yes, but that's an entirely different situation, because the issue occurred after you checked in and flew the first leg. At that point, the airline knew you had intended to fly on the same flight as your luggage, so had no reason to suspect there would be a problem with your bags and thus went ahead and sent them on a flight that had space, even though the flight had no seats for you.