Cruise Food

luvtosave

I'm curious...

I keep reading rave reviews about the pastries and other foods from the International Cafe on some Princess ships. It got me thinking. Do they make things like pastries and salads from "scratch" on cruise ships or are they pre-made/frozen? Anyone have any insights on this?

They are made from scratch! I had a behind the scenes tour on our last cruise and I remember them saying that they make new batches of pastries and cookies every 3-4 hours. This was the Caribbean Princess and the kitchens were vast and very busy. Sign up for the tour if you have an interest in the behind-the-scenes process as it was good fun and very interesting.

I'm curious...

I keep reading rave reviews about the pastries and other foods from the International Cafe on some Princess ships. It got me thinking. Do they make things like pastries and salads from "scratch" on cruise ships or are they pre-made/frozen? Anyone have any insights on this?

I don't know about other cruiselines, but I really believe that most things that are served on Princess ships are made "from scratch". I have found their breads and rolls to be outstanding for the most part. I am addicted to the dinner rolls .... crusty outside, soft inside. Sigh ....

Their old fashioned ice creams, sherbets, etc. are made onboard and are excellent, as are many other things. I particularly like the creme brulee`that is available every night for dessert, in addition to a constantly changing list of offerings.

At the IC, I love the chicken waldorf salad and the shrimp salad that is available pretty much every day. They make multiple flavors of gelato every day for the IC. Fresh warm donuts are wonderful and available every morning in the IC.

Honestly, I could go on and on, There is SO much great food on Princess ships.

Freshly baked. FYI, lettuce for salads can't be frozen.

Well of course I know that. :) I was more referring to things like premade deli salads. I realize they can't usually be frozen either. I actually love cooking and baking so that's why I started thinking about this.

I don't know about other cruiselines, but I really believe that most things that are served on Princess ships are made "from scratch". I have found their breads and rolls to be outstanding for the most part. I am addicted to the dinner rolls .... crusty outside, soft inside. Sigh ....

Their old fashioned ice creams, sherbets, etc. are made onboard and are excellent, as are many other things. I particularly like the creme brulee`that is available every night for dessert, in addition to a constantly changing list of offerings.

At the IC, I love the chicken waldorf salad and the shrimp salad that is available pretty much every day. They make multiple flavors of gelato every day for the IC. Fresh warm donuts are wonderful and available every morning in the IC.

Agreed. Your entrees and starters if they include things that can be cooked fast like steaks, veal, shrimp, pasta etc are cooked a la minute-in other words when the waiter passes the ticket over to the chefs. Chicken dishes would already be in ovens timed and quantified based on expected demand. The bakery on board is staffed 24/7 and of course there are cooks working to fulfill room service orders.

Cold things like salads and most desserts can be made in huge quantities beforehand and sit waiting for pick-up at the pass.

A kitchen tour is something everyone should experience (The UST covers it best)

so you can see how big and spotlessly clean and organized the main galley is.

The anonymous crew in the galleys benefit from the pooled tips so please don't ever consider removing the daily $12 gratuity charge. There are over 200 hard working people in the kitchen bringing you what is good food by any yardstick.

Is it as good as a Celebrity Chef restaurant in Las Vegas?-NO- but it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg and you can eat as much as you want.

Two thumbs up!

Norris

We were on the Crown last February and on the last day they held a pastry extravaganza in the Cafe Caribe. They had huge cakes (I mean at least a foot tall and 3 feet around!)

I have no idea just how many they had I could only handle 4 slices!

They has a "cheese" cake that looked like a wheel of swiss cheese! they even had a wedge "cut out of it to show the holes! They even had mice on the cake!

Nobody asked for a slice to that one-it was just to perfect to cut!

All that was done from scratch and the cakes I did take were great!

I remember a galley tour on another cruise line when my ideals about how much was made from scratch were dashed. I saw a bag of frozen coconut-crusted shrimp. I've never seen such a thing on my Princess galley tours--and I've been in the galley for chef's tables and even a behind-the-scenes tour of the stores.

On the Crown in Sept and the IC and the wine bar were awesome.

Grab a a few small plates of desserts with my white chocolate mocha and a hot tea for the wife and just sit down and relax. Next thing you know they bring warm cookies by for you to eat.

The wine bar good also I have to say since both my wife and I love Tapas and sushi. Talked to the chef and just ate and talked for hours.

I agree about the dinner rolls , so very good. Only problem is the butter was served frozen a few times.

All one has to do is watch the loading of supplies on board to see the wide selection of fresh fruits and vegetables that are brought on. Along with the bulk packages of sugar, flour, salt and other components and seasonings, to realize how much is made fresh, from scratch, on board.

I can't wait to have the chicken salad and the shrimp salad!:D:D:D

Well of course I know that. :) I was more referring to things like premade deli salads. I realize they can't usually be frozen either. I actually love cooking and baking so that's why I started thinking about this.

On most ships, there is a separate "bakery" from the main galley. This will usually be further delineated into the "bakery" and the "pastry" halves. The bakery will have equipment like proofing ovens where they control the temp and humidity so that dough can rise properly. There are machines to divide and roll out dinner rolls, make baguette loafs, and even slice fresh baked bread loafs. The pastry area will have "tart presses" (not that kind of tart!) to form a tray full of tart shells at once. the ovens take a 5' tall rack of baking sheets that have bread or rolls on them (probably 10 full sheets), and rotate the entire rack for even baking. Pretty much the only thing I've seen brought on commercially made are hotdog and burger buns.

There is also generally a cold veg prep room (destined for salads) and a hot veg prep room where all of the veggies are cleaned and diced and sliced for use in the main galley. The cold veg prep will make all the green salads, the pasta and potato salads, etc.

Very little food is brought on prepared. Even things like beef come aboard in whole racks and are broken down to steaks in the meat prep room on the bandsaws.

As others have said, take a galley tour if you are at all interested in cooking. Most are amazed at the size of the main galley, but that is being "fed" by the various outlying "prep" stations as well. Remember, on a ship with 4000 guests and 1000 crew, they are preparing up to 15,000 meals a day.

As I understand it, from a food service standpoint, there are only a few things brought on pre-cooked/pre prepared.

Smoked products - for obvious reason. Smoked salmon and the like.

Some sauces - for example the strawberry topping used in gelatos

Some salad dressings

Stuff like soda, mixers, etc

Pretty much everything else is made in house. It's an amazing operation. I think on the UST they said the royal has 14 different refridgerators, to keep items at different temps as well as just for all the space they need. For a TA, they are all filled to capacity.

I agree about the dinner rolls , so very good. Only problem is the butter was served frozen a few times.

One reason the butter may have come out frozen (and this is no excuse for poor portion planning) is that the small flat pats are made onboard from 5 lb blocks of butter. There is a machine with hot wires that slice and dice the butter down to pats. They need to be frozen after that to retain shape. The little cups of "piped" butter are made onboard, by hand, with a pastry bag.