No more formal night/s on RCCL

jp30338

I don't know where you come from, but having a sense of style is part of an individual personality. I won't go bowling in a gown, or to the beach in boots. Again u have to know how to dress for the occasion.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forums mobile app

I don't know where you come from, but having a sense of style is part of an individual personality. I won't go bowling in a gown, or to the beach in boots. Again u have to know how to dress for the occasion.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forums mobile app

Yes, a sense of style IS very individual. You may think that jeans are inappropriate for upscale restaurants but I totally disagree. Anyway, it's a side issue. Let's get back to talking about cruise ships.

I think one of the big problems, if you are flying to meet your cruise, is the meagre luggage allowance. Many airlines only allow 15kg, or 20 at best. If you are packing a tux/dj and a couple of gowns, this can be a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We love dressing up and have worn evening dresses and I a Tux for the last 20 years, for us that's part of the cruising culture and its tradition. We have seen the steady decline in standards by both the cruise lines and a percentage of its passengers over that period of time. It's just another dumbing down of cruising in order to make it more assessable to the masses who at times seem to have moved from Benidorm to Benidorm at sea. I guess the way the world has moved it was inevitable but it's never going to be our world and as such we won't use a cruise line that cuts these dress standards. Hopefully there will always be a couple of lines such as Cunard and who knows maybe even Celebrity that stick to what made c using special.

We love dressing up and have worn evening dresses and I a Tux for the last 20 years, for us that's part of the cruising culture and its tradition. We have seen the steady decline in standards by both the cruise lines and a percentage of its passengers over that period of time. It's just another dumbing down of cruising in order to make it more assessable to the masses who at times seem to have moved from Benidorm to Benidorm at sea. I guess the way the world has moved it was inevitable but it's never going to be our world and as such we won't use a cruise line that cuts these dress standards. Hopefully there will always be a couple of lines such as Cunard and who knows maybe even Celebrity that stick to what made c using special.

Just imagine. Sharing a cruise ship with "the masses" Too terrible to contemplate isn't it.

I agree that Cunard will be a nice choice for you. I've been on Celebrity and assure you there were plenty of masses on board, so I would advise you to stay well clear.

Edited by woodyren

I’m not an experienced cruiser but on the 2 cruises I have been on the formal nights were a bit of a let down, really just dressing for dinner and that was it, some people participated some didn’t, but apart from dressing for dinner that was it.

We thought it would be better to maybe have only 1 formal night on a cruise, maybe the second to last night but really make an occasion out of it and something to look forward to, rather than have a formal night every 3 or 4 days that’s just dressing for dinner, and make that formal night special and included all areas of a ship, special entertainment in the theatre, maybe a pre dinner cocktail party in the main area/atrium of the ship with the Captain as host, a chefs menu in the MDR, special cocktails in the bars with a party atmosphere/entertainment, maybe dancing, really try and get everyone involved and a night to remember.

Just my 2 cents worth……………:D

On Crystal, There are no more "Formal Nights" they are now Black Tie Optional

A Black-tie Optional evening offers our guests a celebratory opportunity to dress more formally on a special evening(s). For men, this includes a dark suit with tie or tuxedo; for women, this includes a formal cocktail dress, evening gown or dressy evening separates. On Black Tie Optional evenings, we request at least a jacket to be worn by men and dress, skirts or dressy slacks and blouse or sweater be worn by women.

This is exactly what I wish Celebrity would state in writing. Especially since it accurately reflects what is actually occurring on the ships.

Just imagine. Sharing a cruise ship with "the masses" Too terrible to contemplate isn't it.

I agree that Cunard will be a nice choice for you. I've been on Celebrity and assure you there were plenty of masses on board, so I would advise you to stay well clear.

Obviously my post is always going to upset some who no doubt will take it as snobbery even though it's not meant to be, I'm working class but have always enjoyed that special feel we get when cruising, I'm guessing you did understand that by Masses I meant that's what the majority want from a holiday these days, less formality but I was expecting to get some digs. We really like Cunard and will no doubt still use them again, still lots of old fashioned cruise standards they don't let slip. We're on Celebrity for the first time next November in the Caribbean and looking forward to it.

I believe that the restaurant called "The Grande" is a formal attire dining restaurant every night.

I wonder what will happen if it isn't full every night with people wanting to wear formal clothing..... formal optional / formal suggested / formal every other night?

Formal night attire seems to vary so much. Last year on Equinox doing a med cruise there were not as any ladies wearing long evening gowns and then on Eclipse in Sept sailing Norwegian fjords there was a large percentage of ladies wearingn long gowns and men in tux. This one sailed from Southampton and the med one sailed from Barcelona.

This is what I've seen over the years. When I first started cruising with Celebrity, the majority dressed formally and now I see more everyday dresses or beach maxi dresses or pants and sparkly top; none of which I would consider formal attire. Thanks for also saying that you notice this, because I've been told I don't see what I'm seeing.

I know. I read posts where people talk about all the "formal" attire, gowns, etc. and I think "where? when?" because it's been a long time since I saw more than a handful of people dressed like that on formal night.

What I don't understand is why some people are so eager for all cruise lines to be identical to each other. Isn't variety a positive thing? If all cruise lines were the same, do you really think that would be better?

I don't think it's that most people want all lines to be the same per se, but overall people are preferring more and more casual dress on a daily basis, and it carries over to vacation. Just look around on formal night at all the slightly-dressy-but-certainly-not-formal attire and it proves that most people do not want to worry about tuxes and gowns and fancy clothes on a vacation.

I know. I read posts where people talk about all the "formal" attire, gowns, etc. and I think "where? when?" because it's been a long time since I saw more than a handful of people dressed like that on formal night.

I don't think it's that most people want all lines to be the same per se, but overall people are preferring more and more casual dress on a daily basis, and it carries over to vacation. Just look around on formal night at all the slightly-dressy-but-certainly-not-formal attire and it proves that most people do not want to worry about tuxes and gowns and fancy clothes on a vacation.

Very true, 20 years ago on my first cruise I would say a good 90% of the men wore a Tux to a formal night, that's certainly dropped big style, not sure if that's partly down to age also as I think the average age of a cruiser on some cruises is younger. As you say though the majority don't want to dress up these days and the cruise lines are in it to make money and to do that they follow society.

make that formal night special and included all areas of a ship, special entertainment in the theatre, maybe a pre dinner cocktail party in the main area/atrium of the ship with the Captain as host, a chefs menu in the MDR, special cocktails in the bars with a party atmosphere/entertainment, maybe dancing, really try and get everyone involved and a night to remember.

Just my 2 cents worth……………:D

That's what cruising was like 30 years ago, and it was indeed special. Now, I have seen, on more than one occasion and more than one cruise line, people coming to breakfast in bathrobes and to dinner in pajama bottoms and T shirts. Where do "individual style" and "casual dress" end and poor manners begin?

Edited by existentialtraveler

Obviously my post is always going to upset some who no doubt will take it as snobbery even though it's not meant to be, I'm working class but have always enjoyed that special feel we get when cruising, I'm guessing you did understand that by Masses I meant that's what the majority want from a holiday these days, less formality but I was expecting to get some digs. We really like Cunard and will no doubt still use them again, still lots of old fashioned cruise standards they don't let slip. We're on Celebrity for the first time next November in the Caribbean and looking forward to it.

Then I apologise for reading it that way.

I hope you enjoy Celebrity. We certainly did and found that formal nights had a nice (to us) mix of people, from those in tuxes and gowns to people in sports coats and dresses. All appeared to enjoy the night and also in my opinion made an effort to "dress up" in their own preferred style.

I think one of the big problems, if you are flying to meet your cruise, is the meagre luggage allowance. Many airlines only allow 15kg, or 20 at best. If you are packing a tux/dj and a couple of gowns, this can be a problem.

Meager? Most airlines allow a checked back up to 50 lbs before it's considered overweight. If one can't pack for a cruise and be within a 50 lb. limit (never mind that one can ALSO take a smaller carry on suitcase) then the problem probably isn't formal clothes, it's that the person is simply trying to pack too much stuff to begin with, LOL. :D

I've always dressed formally on Celebrity, but on my last cruise I felt way out of place wearing 3/4 gowns (had them shortened after my Crystal cruise where folks actually dress formally), because there were only a handful of women in formal gowns.

Then I apologise for reading it that way.

I hope you enjoy Celebrity. We certainly did and found that formal nights had a nice (to us) mix of people, from those in tuxes and gowns to people in sports coats and dresses. All appeared to enjoy the night and also in my opinion made an effort to "dress up" in their own preferred style.

Thank you I'm sure we will.

Meager? Most airlines allow a checked back up to 50 lbs before it's considered overweight. If one can't pack for a cruise and be within a 50 lb. limit (never mind that one can ALSO take a smaller carry on suitcase) then the problem probably isn't formal clothes, it's that the person is simply trying to pack too much stuff to begin with, LOL. :D

I agree. My hubby is 6 foot and 220 pounds. His suits are well-made and heavy. His dress shoes are heavy (and he insists on packing those wooden shoe inserts). He still manages to stay within the 50 pounds.

I could see where weight restrictions might be an issue on a 10 night or longer cruise ... but one can definitely pack for 2 formal nights on a 7night cruise and keep their luggage under 50 pounds.

Of course, I no longer use my old Atlantic hard-shell suitcases. They probably weighted 25 pounds on their own! Invest in new light-weight luggage, and weight restrictions don't have to be a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This excuse is quite laughable. You spend hundreds if not thousands on the cruise, similar amounts for airfare, will spend hundreds for excursions, drinks, souvenirs, and possibly more for specialty dining or meals ashore. Yet people still use the luggage restrictions as an excuse for ignoring the guidelines. It doesn't take up much space to pack appropriate clothes. And if your suitcase is indeed overweight, most if not all airlines allow an extra suitcase for a mere $50 or less each way - a minuscule drop in the bucket compared to the total you will be spending on your cruise.

If you can't afford that extra $50, can you really afford to be taking the cruise in the first place?

Edited by SantaFeFan

I could see where weight restrictions might be an issue on a 10 night or longer cruise ... but one can definitely pack for 2 formal nights on a 7 night cruise and keep their luggage under 50 pounds.

Longer cruises aren't an issue. There are always the on board laundry facilities to use in order to get a 2nd or 3rd wearing for an item of clothing. My husband and I typically take three week vacations when we cruise on an international itinerary - 12 to 16 nights on the ship and at least one full week on our own before and/or after. We each take a suitcase plus a shoulder bag as a carry on. We have never had a problem dressing appropriately for all activities, from swim attire for sunning on the decks to suits and cocktail dresses for formal nights, and everything in between.

Edited by PTMary

This excuse is quite laughable. You spend hundreds if not thousands on the cruise, similar amounts for airfare, will spend hundreds for excursions, drinks, souvenirs, and possibly more for specialty dining or meals ashore. Yet people still use the luggage restrictions as an excuse for ignoring the guidelines. It doesn't take up much space to pack appropriate clothes. And if your suitcase is indeed overweight, most if not all airlines allow an extra suitcase for a mere $50 or less each way - a minuscule drop in the bucket compared to the total you will be spending on your cruise.

If you can't afford that extra $50, can you really afford to be taking the cruise in the first place?

No excuses at all here. We can afford to take as many bags as we want. But we choose not to take formal clothes:D No desire whatsoever to wear suits and ties on vacation......

Of course we don't go to the MDR, pay for speciality dining most nights.

Longer cruises aren't an issue. There are always the on board laundry facilities to use in order to get a 2nd or 3rd wearing for an item of clothing. My husband and I typically take three week vacations when we cruise on an international itinerary - 12 to 16 nights on the ship and at least one full week on our own before and/or after. We each take a suitcase plus a shoulder bag as a carry on. We have never had a problem dressing appropriately for all activities, from swim attire for sunning on the decks to suits and cocktail dresses for formal nights, and everything in between.

never tried it, i'm not lucky enough to cruise for longer than 7 nights :(

Guess this is another dress code thread

When the ripped jeans, shorts and sleeveless t -Shirts for men move in... (hopefully not anytime soon) we will move out...we do see them quite a bit in the buffet on some other lines...ugh!

Having experiencd having several types of dining venues on Oasis.,,...our opinion is that neither the MDR or various specialty restaurants were up to Celebrity standards for food prep , menu offerings, service and ambiance.... Even Chops was better on smaller Royal ships....one exception on Oasis (surprisingly )was the cafe in the way back that was turned into a tablecloth fine dining experience in the evening...

otherwise, just too many to feed ....

We DO NOT check luggage anymore. Ever. After one episode where a bag was lost, we vowed never again. And with one single exception, that has been working just great for eighteen years including 12+ cruises, international trips of 3-4 weeks in multiple climates. (The one exception was a 21 day winter med cruise with an extra week in Rome. We brought extra sweaters, Long underwear, gloves, etc. Most of it never got used!)

Husband wears or carries his sports jacket on the plane. Shirts and ties in carry on with one pair of shoes. He wears the other pair. I bring lightweight dresses, fancy tops and slacks\skirts. Wear one pair shoes, bring two pairs of sandals. The rest of the bag is filled with casual wear, pajamas, etc. It's amazing how little you REALLY need.

We do laundry if necessary which is about every 10-12 days. We've never looked out of place on formal night and YES, we go to the MDR. We don't care if we are seen wearing the same clean outfits multiple times. We've been there, done that with the rented tuxedo and gowns, and have the lovely photos for our memories.

And I agree, we would be out of place on Cunard. But we've never had any issues on Celebrity, MSC, Princess, or HAL. On RCCL, Carnival and NCL, we might even be considered dressed up!

You're responding to someone in the UK. Very different luggage rules. Sometimes adding a second suitcase is just not an option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk