Irons

angel_05_92001

Irons are a big NO NO. They are a fire hazard and will definitely be confiscated if you try to bring one. No steamers either. Sorry, but don't worry, everyone will be as wrinkled as you.....

I knew portable irons were a no-no, but was hoping there'd be a self-service area to take care of that. Quite the surprise that Celebrity doesn't have a self-service laundry area of any kind.

Angel: I don't think that Celebrity has ever had self-service laundry areas on any of their ships. And I don't mind as neither my husband nor I are interested in spending time doing laundry while on vacation. Our time is just too valuable to us.

But I also have been purchasing wrinkle resistant clothing items, including some dress shirts for my husband. They really are wrinkle resistant!

I think for Celebrity the requirement to send laundry out for pressing has trailed along from its former true "luxury" days. I've been in many luxury hotels, mostly outside the USA, where the only way to get ironing done is have the staff do it, and tip accordingly (Fairmont and Ritz Carltons come to mind).

On vacation we don't need to be doing our own laundry now do we? That's part of the break when taking the vacation.

There are many lines that do provide ironing stations, some even deliver irons to the cabin for use, but X is not one (RCI and Azamara, however do have ironing and laundry facilities for guest use).

As other lines do provide irons, I never bought into the "irons a are a fire hazard" theory any more than a curling iron is a hazard, and is still let on X ships. Both cause plenty of fires on land, but very few at sea. Ship's internal laundry rooms are a major cause of ship board fires though.

There are many lines that do provide ironing stations, some even deliver irons to the cabin for use, but X is not one (RCI and Azamara, however do have ironing and laundry facilities for guest use).

Are you sure about that? I've never been made aware of any self service ironing area on Royal. Is it something brand new?

According to the Royal Caribbean website:

Q: Are laundry services provided?

A: Self-service laundry facilities are not provided onboard our ships, but we do offer full laundry and dry cleaning services.

Edited by gimletgal

I

There are many lines that do provide ironing stations, some even deliver irons to the cabin for use, but X is not one (RCI and Azamara, however do have ironing and laundry facilities for guest use). no Royal ship has self serve facilities nor do they provide irons

As other lines do provide irons, I never bought into the "irons a are a fire hazard" theory any more than a curling iron is a hazard, and is still let on X ships. Both cause plenty of fires on land, but very few at sea. Ship's internal laundry rooms are a major cause of ship board fires though.

the whole point is the ship provided implements have been screened/tested/vetted to be safe for use on board. they cannot guarantee that of any personal item( hair implements do not generate the kind of heat that can cause serious fire hazards.)

Are you sure about that? I've never been made aware of any self service ironing area on Royal. Is it something brand new?

I may be wrong, I had a list someplace of the differences between lines, and thought I remembered wondering why RCI allowed, but X did not. And I know people have said AZ has laundry facilities. If posted the recap in other threads, but can't easily find it now.

the whole point is the ship provided implements have been screened/tested/vetted to be safe for use on board. they cannot guarantee that of any personal item( hair implements do not generate the kind of heat that can cause serious fire hazards.)

They were responsible for 700 fires in 1998 in the USA

http://www.electrical-forensics.com/CurlingIrons/CurlingIrons.html

And I think you'd be kidding yourself to believe there is much if any sort of formal routine inspection done on the irons that the lines that provide them. I can find no evidence of this, maybe someone does have evidence that crusie lines buy special irons or have routine inspections?

My hotel experience, I know hotels don't get anything special, than the $19.95 iron you buy at Target, though bought in bulk thru hotel suppliers. And there is no inspection process. Once they stop working, they get replaced with another $19.95 iron.

Likely there only requirement is the implement is UL listed. I can't think of any electrical device I can buy at stores that isn't UL listed.

I just read "what not to pack" on the celebrity website and saw no mention of hand held steamers.

Where have you seen this stated?

Hello,

Listed under the FAQ Section:

As partially copied :

Q:Is my stateroom furnished with amenities that I don’t need to pack?

Steamers or irons are not allowed onboard. However, there is a full laundry and dry-cleaning service available onboard for reasonable rates.

BBL

Edited by BourbonNBluesLuvr

T

And I think you'd be kidding yourself to believe there is much if any sort of formal routine inspection done on the irons that the lines that provide them. I can find no evidence of this, maybe someone does have evidence that crusie lines buy special irons or have routine inspections?

I have always assumed that any cruise lines that provide self-serve irons stock them with irons that have an automatic shut off?? Not all irons have that.

I have always assumed that any cruise lines that provide self-serve irons stock them with irons that have an automatic shut off?? Not all irons have that.

They likely do, but that mechanism is certainly prone to failure. I know all my irons I have had at home over the last 10 years have an automatic shut down after so many minutes of inactivity.

Hello,

Listed under the FAQ Section:

As partially copied :

Q:Is my stateroom furnished with amenities that I don’t need to pack?

Steamers or irons are not allowed onboard. However, there is a full laundry and dry-cleaning service available onboard for reasonable rates.

Ahh the consistency of X's inconsistency.

This topic has been covered elsewhere in these forums. Turns out there are at least 4 places with the policy, and all 4 word it slightly different. Theres the FAQ, the what to pack, the cruise documents, then there's a posted sign at embarkation. All say generally the same thing, yet each has its special nuance, additions, or missing piece of info. I wouldn't be surprised to find different language in the US versus UK sites wither.

Another argued point is extension cords versus power strips. Some places don't mention power strips, others do.

Before purchasing a steamer for last year's trip on Equinox, I contacted both my travel agent and Celebrity direct. The manufacturer of the steamer advised that the "plate" was Teflon; therefore, Celebrity allowed it. My steamer was actually shaped like a traditional iron, but was cool to the touch.

Turns out I am a better packer than I thought and only had to use the steamer once. I ended up loaning it to a friend who was able to take it on Solstice recently.

I think for Celebrity the requirement to send laundry out for pressing has trailed along from its former true "luxury" days. I've been in many luxury hotels, mostly outside the USA, where the only way to get ironing done is have the staff do it, and tip accordingly (Fairmont and Ritz Carltons come to mind).

On vacation we don't need to be doing our own laundry now do we? That's part of the break when taking the vacation.

You know what? It's their rule and we abide by it or cruise another line. There should be no argument for this other than following their rule, regardless if it's a safety thing or if they want to increase their bottom line by making those who don't want to have a few wrinkles use their for-charge laundry.

Royal Caribbean ships have never had self serve laundries.

Edited by cruisead