NCL ruined our anniversary

spidybabe

HERE IS OUR STORY:

We decided to take a two night CTN aboard the beautiful NCL Gem to proudly celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary. We planned this special weekend for weeks wanting to get the most out of our short trip, and celebrate our special occasion. Our plan was to celebrate this once in a lifetime event at Le Bistro with a fantastic dinner and bottle of Champagne. This was the only restaurant we have never tried on the Gem, and we looked at the menu and decided prior to sailing that we would get the Cote De Boeuf pour Deux- steak for two, carved tableside, to increase the atmosphere and excitement of the evening. The restaurant was gorgeous, staff was great, and our wonderful exciting evening began. Our order was professionally taken and our champagne was served, and we enjoyed toasting ourselves. Our appetizers came while we waited for our dinner,,,, and we waited,,,, and we waited. The waitress apologized for the delay stating “it is a thick piece of meat and takes longer”. .. and we waited,,, and we waited. Then the waitress asked since we were waiting so long, if we would like to order another appetizer, which was prepared, served, and eaten….. and we waited. Once again the waitress apologized and said it will be served soon…. and we waited,,, and we waited. Now it was 1 and ½ hours since we ordered…. and we waited…. The steak finally arrived at our tableside, and was cut with much difficulty. The server was actually sawing thru the meat, and I couldn’t believe this was supposed to be a good cut of meat. The butchered meat was plated and served to us… First off we ordered it medium, and it was well done (not even medium well—but we would of dealt with that), BUT it was ice cold---the meat and the vegetables!! Not even warm, or room temperature, but actually cold! Upon calling the waitress over, the first thing she thought was that we were unhappy due to it being so well done (no). We told her how cold it was and she brought the manager over. Although they were willing to redo the food, it was now 1 and ¾ hours that we had been in the restaurant, and it was now rather late to first start ordering and eating dinner. We went to guest services and spoke to the ship’s restaurant manager, Aurora Jalba, who said she would look into what happened, and again offered us something else, but at this point our once in a lifetime event was ruined. After a short time Jenny Lim (Hotel director) who was contacted about the incident, located us and apologized explaining that there was a breakdown in communication between the galley and having an available person to carve the steak at the tableside, and the steak had been sitting for a long time prior to being served.

Although everyone was very apologetic, we cannot feel anything else but NCL ruined our anniversary—a day we can never get back.

Safe Sailing

PS- Before anybody asks...Yes the rest of the cruise was good(althought short), but out of two nights, one was ruined, so 50% of the cruise was poor.

We had a similar experience at a very famous restaurant in NYC. Comedy of errors. One right after the other. We just laughed it off and have a great story for our grandchildren. Live and let live. One night of a bad experience in such an affluent restaurant did not determine how our anniversary was.

wow, i thought the point of an anniversary was to be together with the person you love. We have spent our anniversary floating around in the middle of the carribbean on the Dawn with no power to the ship, no propulsion, no air conditioning and having to be re directed to San Juan instead of Miami. We were together, made the most of it and made an adventure of it.

Never had an anniversary ruined by a piece of meat.

I think stating NCL ruined your anniversary is a bit dramatic. We'll be celebrating 40 years in April and I dont base good or bad anniversaries on food. You guys were together, on a cruise and hopefully in good health.

The coldness of the meat is so little in the scheme of things.

Edited by janpo

I Re read your story.

an hour and 3/4 for a nice meal in a nice restaurant really is not a lot of time.

If you had them recook you a new one it would have went to the front of the line for sure and really would not have taken more then 20 minutes

In addition 2 hours of a 48 hour cruise does not equal 50% ruined, actually equals about 4%. Not sure how you let that ruin the remaining 96%.

Perhaps on the one month or two month anniversary of your anniversary, you can go to a local restaurant that serves something similar and celebrate again. No one can have too many celebrations in their life!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I feel the nay-sayers are being a bit too critical. An hour and a half to get food? And then it was cold! For us, we would have been out of the restaurant well before 1 1/2 hours and no, I would not have paid the bill. They did the right thing by talking with the restaurant manager and good for NCL for sending the Hotel Manager to talk with them. They didn't trash the second day which to me implies they are not just complainers. I feel bad for them as they had planned and looked forward to the event.

Actually they did not wait an hour and 3/4 for their entree that would have been really bad. They had appetizers, they had a second round of appetizers and then their entree came out.

Yeah, I'd be super unhappy about that, also. But I wouldn't decide to let it ruin my anniversary. Deciding it is "ruined" a choice you make, and not something that someone does to you. I am sorry that you chose to let it ruin an otherwise good anniversary.

Laugh and love and enjoy each other.

If this couples highlight of their Trip was this dinner then how can you all say their in poor shape blah blah and all of the other negative comments. If they felt it ruined their trip, then IT DID. If you're expecting an anniversary experience then u expect it to be flawless, and it was not. Waiting so long for dinner then having to spend time at guest services complaining is a good bit of time wasted. And if others start expecting a higher standard of service instead of laughing it off then maybe things would change overall and crap like this wouldn't happen.

I feel the nay-sayers are being a bit too critical. An hour and a half to get food? And then it was cold! For us, we would have been out of the restaurant well before 1 1/2 hours and no, I would not have paid the bill. They did the right thing by talking with the restaurant manager and good for NCL for sending the Hotel Manager to talk with them. They didn't trash the second day which to me implies they are not just complainers. I feel bad for them as they had planned and looked forward to the event.

Thank you

We do enjoy NCL alot, and thought this site was to share experiences, not get berated for sharing a poor experience.

We would of loved and enjoyed a three hour dinner together. ...if we got an edible meal.

Not saying this is the worst thing in life, was just sharing a negative experience.

Safe sailing

Actually they did not wait an hour and 3/4 for their entree that would have been really bad. They had appetizers, they had a second round of appetizers and then their entree came out.

Of course they waited an hour plus for their entree (or so they say) and then it was unacceptable. The second appetizer was offered and delivered AFTER several apologies for the wait and to assuage their disappointment. They waited beyond that second appetizer as well. What is reasonable? Even in our best French restaurant in Chicago an hour and a half to get your food would be considered unacceptable. By that time one should be in their 2nd or 3rd course out of 5 or 6 and the food should be prepared as ordered and of good quality. Also recognize that their entree was cold and not eatable (tough). So where is the good service?

I know everyone says lol. But I really loudly did! Plus I'm at work at getting strange looks from my coworkers. That was truly hysterical.

If Cruise Critic is not the place to register issues experienced while cruising, where does one go to register a complaint. To compare with the Ebola situation is disingenuous and likely a phony concern comparison. I think people have the right to complain - - albeit constructively.

Seriously. My husband and I spend at least 3 hours in a restaurant for date night. We enjoy each other's company :cool:

Of course. Any upscale French restaurant would take that sort of time. The point here is that the restaurant failed to perform and that was acknowledged. Appears to me that IF the meal finally arrived and it was acceptable no issue would have existed. IT WASN'T. It was cold, tough and not eatable. Let's try and keep all the facts together.

No point writing anything negative here about NCL. So far after two trips with the line and a third one booked, I have been extremely happy, but the experience of the OP would really **** me off. Why so many people jump to the defense of the cruise line, when it seems obvious they have really messed up I don't get.

You have to listen to bad comments as well as the overwhelming amount of good ones. If it's not made public, those responsible are hardly likely to improve.

Given in this case it was only a two nighter, and their anniversary, I think it is a real shame.

Stop berating people for genuine complaints, it's to everyone's benefit that these are aired here.

Ok. I will restate this

NCL ruined our anniversary dinner. ..not our whole anniversary

Better?

Safe sailing

Yes. This is MUCH better. Though ruined is still a bit of hyperbole.... the venue was excellent, the champagne I imagine was good, the appetizers...tasty, and the company...exceptional..... but the entree wasn't cooked properly, and had become cold.

That's not quite ruined, as much as it is 'disappointing'.

If the thread had been titled "Disappointing Anniversary Dinner at Le Bistro" I'm sure you'd have found the sympathetic responses you hoped for. :o

Of course. Any upscale French restaurant would take that sort of time. The point here is that the restaurant failed to perform and that was acknowledged. Appears to me that IF the meal finally arrived and it was acceptable no issue would have existed. IT WASN'T. It was cold, tough and not eatable. Let's try and keep all the facts together.

Exactly. What is with these NCL fanatics who believe they can do no wrong? It's obvious, based on many posts here and elsewhere, that NCL isn't perfect. Yet some here continue to trivialize first hand poor experiences with ridiculous comparisons, excuses, or other disingenuous comments intended to obfuscate the reported issue.

Le Bistro is supposed to be a nice restaurant. As my own experience proves, it's nice in appearance and that's all. The food is okay, but not great. The OPs experience is completely believable to me. I'm sure I'll return on my next cruise, as I'm part of the captive audience on the ship and given the choices Le Bistro is among the best available. But that doesn't mean it's a true fine dining experience.

In my opinion, if any critical comment of the OPs post should be made, it was overly optimistic to expect a flawless evening at any NCL restaurant. Even so, a cold and bad meal exceeds even my own rather mediocre opinion of NCL food services. The OP is completely in the right to complain, and should do so in writing to NCL as well.

Sent from my iPad