MDR Food: Hits & Misses

stickey_mouse

Hits - beef short ribs, and crème brule

Misses - most of the other desserts, and the occasionally poorly cooked menu item that can happen no matter the choice

Our experience has been that generally the waiter will only recommend an item that has gone over well with guests. I suspect that occasionally they are asked to promote an item they have a lot of (probably particularly at late seating) but I can't prove that allegation.

More hits than misses but a major surprising hit on our last Silhouette cruise was a liver and onions dish in the MDR at lunch. I usually only eat liver that I've cooked, since it's only good when it's medium rare and tender and most places cook it into shoe leather but figured if it was like that on the ship then I'd just order something else....well, it was so tasty and tender that I was almost tempted to order another one...best meal I had on the ship! Another hit: a shredded lamb in phyllo dish in the MDR for dinner...truly delicious!!

Chronic miss: chicken...so many times overdone and dried out!

More hits than misses but a major surprising hit on our last Silhouette cruise was a liver and onions dish in the MDR at lunch. I usually only eat liver that I've cooked, since it's only good when it's medium rare and tender and most places cook it into shoe leather but figured if it was like that on the ship then I'd just order something else....well, it was so tasty and tender that I was almost tempted to order another one...best meal I had on the ship! Another hit: a shredded lamb in phyllo dish in the MDR for dinner...truly delicious!!

Chronic miss: chicken...so many times overdone and dried out!

I am sailing on the Silhouette tomorrow and am looking forward to the liver and onions. Thanks for the post!

I am sailing on the Silhouette tomorrow and am looking forward to the liver and onions. Thanks for the post!

Sandtrap, will you do us all a favor and post who the Silhouette's cruise director is on the "Who's On Board" thread when you return? We were wondering who the CD would be after the transatlantic. Thanks!

One of my favorite things about Cruising is that it helps to broaden your food horizons because it gives you a chance to try things you might not otherwise with no fear of being stuck with a stinker.

I usually have two or three dishes in mind when ordering and ask the waiter which he'd recommend. Once in a great while I have actually had the waiter steer me away from choices I thought were sure bets. Trust them!

Most times the food is great, but I've not cared for most veal dishes and once had a big miss with seafood risotto. Probably just an off night in the kitchen!

Bon appetit!

Two Cruises on Celebrity, one S-Class (Solstice 2012) and one M-Class (Summit 2013)... And I can honestly say we have never had a meal or food item on Celebrity that was not first rate in any venue... including the MDR. (ie We have never sent anything back )

I will say tho that the assortment of Desserts in the MDR are a bit disappointing. Then again, we rarely have room for Dessert given all the great other things on offer (Bread Basket - Soups - Salads - Appys - Entrees). If we some how have managed to eat Dessert it is most often the "go to" Creme Brûlée or Daily Ice Cream Selection... Both are Excellent.

Cheers!

Ps... The Bread Basket filled with an assortment of homemade choices is truly addictive (especially the breadsticks) best approach is to have a "pep talk" :rolleyes: with yourself that you will have just one item per night

Please list food items that you found to be Hits and/or Misses in the MDR.

Also, did you find the waiter's recommendations to be valid?

Thanks! and I apologize, I know there have been several similar threads. :D

On a very recent cruise I found the single biggest drop off to be soups, save for mushroom, and onion, and the absence of dark breads, save by request.

Edited by dinosaurdem
add on

Hits - beef short ribs, and crème brule

Misses - most of the other desserts, and the occasionally poorly cooked menu item that can happen no matter the choice

Our experience has been that generally the waiter will only recommend an item that has gone over well with guests. I suspect that occasionally they are asked to promote an item they have a lot of (probably particularly at late seating) but I can't prove that allegation.

This question is a little bit loaded. On our last 14nt Eclipse we overheard a man in the elevator complaining that the 'desserts on this ship were the worst he had ever had!' My DH and I looked at each other and both wondered later if he was on the same ship that we were on...:rolleyes:

I believe that everyone will have their own tastes and therefore their own opinion on this. I do not like creme brule ever and I am not much of a dessert person but I had a delicious blueberry dream dessert one night that was sooooo good that I actually had a second.

I have never had a bad dish in the MDR (only poor service in the select dining area).

Generally, most things have been good. One big disappointment was a duck with orange sauce that clearly had been nowhere in the vicinity of an orange.

I've learned to trust the waiter's recommendation. I asked one of my favorite waiters one time how they decide to recommend dishes. He replied that they serve the same food time after time and they remember what people liked and what they didn't. Makes sense to me.

Sandtrap, will you do us all a favor and post who the Silhouette's cruise director is on the "Who's On Board" thread when you return? We were wondering who the CD would be after the transatlantic. Thanks!

Do people actually care?

Shocking, but the BEST meal I had in the MDR on our Eclipse cruise this past year was the "beef cheeks". So tender and well seasoned. Would not hesitate to try it again.

We had those in Spain this summer. It was a group dinner, or I would never have ordered "such a thing." And you are right, they were fantastic!

We're on the Eclipse March 1st. If you see liver and onions (or, even better, served with both bacon and onions), please tell them to keep it on the menu til we get there. Isn't it funny how people either love or hate liver? There is no in-between.

Sent from Al's iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by budisal