Elevator etiquette?

Wj420

I would have thought on a cruise ship no one would be in such a hurry that waiting for the next life was acceptable practice.

I know this is just a typo, but it's so apt sometimes! :p Sometimes the wait for a lift can seem endless.

We're lucky enough to be able bodied, so when we come back from port, we walk all the way up, even if we're going straight to the buffet and it's 10 decks up. I'm sure it earns us a quarter scoop of ice cream. :)

I hate when people who arrive after you, jump on the elevator first. I know not all cultures are the same but to me, this is horrible. Same thing happens at home on the trains and busses. Heck, think of your flight. How many people sitting behind you closer to the back of the plane, try to get out of their seats first cutting people off. First thing i do now, is get out of me seat and plug the isle and make sure everyone ahead of me gets off first (so long as they want to). More on elevators, i hate when people feel they can use it as a garbage can or kitchen sink to leave your dirty dishes. For these reasons, i try to stick to the stairs. Not as busy and healthier for you. Leave the elevators for those who need them like parents with young kids or eldery and people with accessibility needs.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Forums mobile app

Edited by Billy101

I can understand the dilemma. As a youngster I have always been told when walking along a road with no designated footpath is to keep left. When travelling on an escalator we again keep to the left and those travelling quicker pass to the right. Americans and those who by nature drive on the right I assume use a similar doctrine but keep right.

Probably explains why so many tourists to our country who drive on the right have so many accidents.

I don't see a solution to this issue except to stop excuse oneself and allow the other to pass. Far more important things to worry about. If it keeps everyone happy I will apologise in advance for being wrong and move along.

As a North American, I was taught that walking along a road or sidewalk to keep to the right, as we do while driving. It makes sense that countries like UK and Australia would bear left, since autos drive on the left.

Unfortunately, in most places in the World, no one pays any attention these days an bearing right or left. It seems that the result is that you have to dodge people, weave right and left to avoid running into people.

As for elevators, proper etiquette was always to let people out of the elevator first, before entering. It is common sense, since in doing the reverse, it may cause someone to miss exiting the elevator at their floor.

I think courtesy and etiquette have deteriorated with a cruder and ruder culture.

On cruise ships, DW and I don't use elevators unless we have to go up 3 or more floors.

My pet peave is the Elevators on S class, where people refuse to go all the way in to the back over the glass floor and fill in the corners back there.

Sometimes they are so busy, and they just stand mid elevator blocking the path not letting people on. I've given up being nice to them and just barge past and take those back spots myself.

Clearly you do not have a fear of heights.

I will not go to the back, I am sure you do not want me parting with my previous meal suddenly - but I do stand to the side Sometimes there are reasons for behaviour so tolerance is the best virtue to pack when cruising

UKTOG, thank you for your comment. My spouse has a paralyzing phobia about standing over the glass floor in those elevators. Her inability to move back over the glass should not be mistaken for discourtesy. She is the most courteous person I know.

One of my pet peeves is people who can't spell peeve, especially when they are criticizing others. :p

Slightly off topic but what is the etiquette for walking down the internal corridors. I didn't think about this until I got a rude comment when I was walking down the left side and a lady was walking towards me on her right side so one of us had to move over. Her comment " they must be foreign if they are walking on this side".. Well in fact we where both "foreign", on a Med cruise I am Aussie and she was N American. I guess the "non-foreigners" would have been the Europeans.

Had that happen to me once. Got swept up by the mob leaving the theater and was fighting my way upstream for about 50 feet to the mens room. Some super raspy voice yelled at me "Some people don't know enough to walk on the right side"

I was on the correct side, for the men's room a few feet further on.

Almost told the women to .... well to do something that's almost physically impossible anyway.... she was likely too dumb to know common references any how

I guess I was supposed to cross the stream, swim up a few extra feet and re-cross and hope that I arrived at the bathroom entrance? :rolleyes:

menswimming.JPG

fish+two.JPG

Edited by A Sixth?

Pet peeve #1..

.Please do not bring on HOT coffee filled to the brim.without a secure top. I have been spilled on,, nearly spilled on, and was once spilled on on departure day so I smelled like coffee all the way home,,,

Also wish folks would not carry overly piled up plates of food ( often more than one) onto elevators

elevators are narrow and usually quite full...coffee and food are an accident waiting to happen!

#2 heavy perfume/cologne...

#3 obvious body odor....

I'll add number 4 - like 2 & 3, don't enter just after smoking a cigarette....smells as bad as 2 & 3.

My pet peave is the Elevators on S class, where people refuse to go all the way in to the back over the glass floor and fill in the corners back there.

Sometimes they are so busy, and they just stand mid elevator blocking the path not letting people on. I've given up being nice to them and just barge past and take those back spots myself.

I think it is somewhat scary in an Alfred Hitchcock sort of way.:eek: I'm brave though.

Honestly, the design does seem a little odd. A rectangle box is what most of us are accustomed to. The box with a wider glass floor area at the back takes a little getting use to.

You press the call button and the Elevator arrives and it is full. So you decide to wait for the next one. You press the call button again, except the doors to the full elevator have not yet completely closed. What happens? The doors to the full elevator open again, delaying everyone needlessly.

This happens way too often. Let the doors close fully before pressing the call button.

How about when you step out of the elevator to let people get out, and then those waiting barge right in, leaving you standing there unable to fit back in. :rolleyes: Happend more than a few times on my last cruise. I probably needed the extra exercise I got taking the stairs.

I can understand the dilemma. As a youngster I have always been told when walking along a road with no designated footpath is to keep left. When travelling on an escalator we again keep to the left and those travelling quicker pass to the right. Americans and those who by nature drive on the right I assume use a similar doctrine but keep right.

Probably explains why so many tourists to our country who drive on the right have so many accidents.

I don't see a solution to this issue except to stop excuse oneself and allow the other to pass. Far more important things to worry about. If it keeps everyone happy I will apologise in advance for being wrong and move along.

I would think that the local rules of the road dictate the rules for walking as well.

Edited by kampinguru

I don't think if anyone has mentioned getting hit in the head by someone's large backpack in the elevator. Usually happens after a port day when everyone is coming back fully loaded with purchases and beach items.

If the elevator is crowded, some people just don't know to remove their packs before getting on and just hold on to them in front of themselves. Makes for a safer ride.

Also not particular to elevators, but most any line: first day, last day, any airport, etc.

I cruise regularly with my sister, who uses a mobility scooter. I have gotten into so many arguments over the years regarding elevator etiquette. IMHO there is absolutely no etiquette on cruise ships when it comes to elevators. I can't tell you how many times we've had to wait for numerous elevators because once the doors open I can't run fast enough to get to the elevator to hold the door open so my sister can get on.

Does matter - old, young, American, foreign, man, woman, or child. They are all rude. Every once in a while someone will be courteous. On our last cruise, an older Asian gentleman grabbed his grandson by the scruff of the neck because he cut in front of my sister as she was trying to get on the elevator. I definitely thanked him!

Unfortunately we do not have the option of taking the stairs even one deck. I've lost count of the number of times someone (usually young) will get on the elevator and go one deck - are you kidding me??

Yup, you hit a nerve with me on this thread.

Clearly you do not have a fear of heights.

I will not go to the back, I am sure you do not want me parting with my previous meal suddenly - but I do stand to the side Sometimes there are reasons for behaviour so tolerance is the best virtue to pack when cruising

UKTOG, thank you for your comment. My spouse has a paralyzing phobia about standing over the glass floor in those elevators. Her inability to move back over the glass should not be mistaken for discourtesy. She is the most courteous person I know.

One of my pet peeves is people who can't spell peeve, especially when they are criticizing others. :p

I don't know what it is about the glass floors, (and part of the discomfort might be the glass walls), but on our recent Equinox TA I noticed that many people failed to go to the back. I cannot say for sure, but I suspect that many of those people would have backed up on traditional solid wall elevator when others entered.

The Elevator cars on the S Class ships are beautiful, but not totally functional for humans. The design fails to take into account the normal discomfort of standing on air(glass floor), and the normal discomfort of standing on the edge of a cliff(glass walls).

I thought riding the bus through the Timanfaya National Park up, down and around volcanoes in Lanzarote was pretty dang terrifying. I quit riding roller coasters several years ago to avoid that sensation. The feeling of going over a cliff in a bus is not my cup of tea. I don't think I was the only one on the bus gasping for air.:o Thankfully I survived.:cool:

I cruise regularly with my sister, who uses a mobility scooter. I have gotten into so many arguments over the years regarding elevator etiquette. IMHO there is absolutely no etiquette on cruise ships when it comes to elevators. I can't tell you how many times we've had to wait for numerous elevators because once the doors open I can't run fast enough to get to the elevator to hold the door open so my sister can get on.

Does matter - old, young, American, foreign, man, woman, or child. They are all rude. Every once in a while someone will be courteous. On our last cruise, an older Asian gentleman grabbed his grandson by the scruff of the neck because he cut in front of my sister as she was trying to get on the elevator. I definitely thanked him!

Unfortunately we do not have the option of taking the stairs even one deck. I've lost count of the number of times someone (usually young) will get on the elevator and go one deck - are you kidding me??

Yup, you hit a nerve with me on this thread.

I agree. I work with accessibility needs in office buildings and i know your frustration. I too hate the hop on hop off next floor as well. People do it at work all the time. Elevators are for everyone but priority should be given to those who have no chioce but to use them. Besides. We are on freaken vacation. Where the heck does one need to go in such a hurry? The buffet? It will still be there when you arrive 2-5 minutes late.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Forums mobile app

If people are physically able, why don't they use the stairs? That's my approach, and I get additional exercise in the process.

Pushing and shoving to get on an elevator just to get to the buffet faster. How pathetic and sad.