Elevator etiquette?

Wj420

I must admit to be somewhat disappointed with the resurrection of this thread. Whilst those with walkers and wheelchairs and even motorised chairs complain about about more able bodied persons on cruise ships I have lost count with the number of bangs and bruises I have picked up by arrogant motorised chair uses driving around the ship like they were Juan Fangio. On one port with a steep gangway a lady in a wheelchair abused staff because she got rocked around a bit getting ashore. There were around 6 people trying to get this overweight infirmed woman ashore and all she could do was abuse them. Whilst I accept it cant be pleasant having mobility problems , those that are please give a thought to the inconvenience you may be putting your fellow passengers through in order that you can have a holiday. Your attitude may be the cause for your discomfort.

I posted my comment on the feature article "Passengers Behaving Badly: 8 Cruisers Everyone Hates" on Cruise Critic.

The intention was not to resurrect this thread.

Nevertheless, it is not a bad thing to revisit this discussion.

Normally I would use all caps for the word "not" in that last sentence. It is a (bad) habit I have when I want to emphasize a word. I apologize for offending anyone for the 3 all caps words in my original post.

And ty for those who mentioned invisible symptoms. Most of my symptoms are invisible. I use a walking aid on ships because I am more likely to fall on a ship that is moving.

So other than MS. I have scoliosis. I have extreme fatigue that hits me out of nowhere. I have vertigo. I have bad balance. I have antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. 2 days before my 9/13 cruise I fell and tore 3 meniscus in my knee.

But I do not feel that I am entitled to special treatment.

I do not feel someone should ever be told to exit an elevator to make room for me.

I just know common courtesy.

Beanb41....you knew I could not ignore your comment.

You said "Whilst I accept it cant be pleasant having mobility problems , those that are please give a thought to the inconvenience you may be putting your fellow passengers through in order that you can have a holiday. Your attitude may be the cause for your discomfort."

No, I did not post your enitre comment. All anyone needs to do is look up a couple posts.

Indeed there are people with mobility issues who have bad attitudes or are bitter. Much like people with no mobility issues.

Oh how I would love to pick apart your comments piece by piece but I am going to try to just forget I read them.

I agree with this. The lifts are for anyone to use. I personally don't like lifts, so will often take the stairs instead.

I do wonder about the people who take the lift to go up/down 1 floor. But you can't tell by just looking at someone if they have issues with stairs. My travelling companion has balance issues which can come and go determine how well they are able to cope with the stairs. Especially going down.

Though I have seen many people not move to the back of the lift or barge on while someone else is trying to get off. I really don't see what the rush is if your on a cruise ship

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

I would love to take the stairs up one flight because if I do I have to sit for a few minutes to catch my breath. Downstairs is okay and did it many times on my last cruise.

Slightly off topic but what is the etiquette for walking down the internal corridors. I didn't think about this until I got a rude comment when I was walking down the left side and a lady was walking towards me on her right side so one of us had to move over. Her comment " they must be foreign if they are walking on this side".. Well in fact we where both "foreign", on a Med cruise I am Aussie and she was N American. I guess the "non-foreigners" would have been the Europeans.

I live in the United States, but do travel oversea. Yes the comment was rude. We in the States tend to drive and walk on the same side. As the cruise company is based in the United States. In general we walk on the right side. So the comment would have been directed to any country that the car drives on the other side.

Fun story. Many years ago we were in southern France west of Nice. We met up with British friends. They had brought their car down on the train with them. Each evening we would leave Mark's place and drive Mark's British car on French roads back to our hotel.

i haven't read much of the banter on this thread, but to get back to the topic of elevator etiquette, maybe some elevators should have a sign - in as many languages as necessary, that says "GAS FREE ELEVATOR", Some people spend too much time loading up on methane producing choices at the buffet. It's not fun to ride the elevator behind them. Even for just one floor !!