One third reduction in cruise fare

wenjoyjack

Still 80 days out from commencement of cruise and the new fare Oceania is offering is one third less ($5000) less than we have paid. They advise that this new fare only applies to new bookings. Is this normal Oceania policy? Not so with Seaborn. Can you seasoned Oceania cruisers help with this. Is it normal Oceania policy to sting early bookings like this? What is your experience and is there any redress for us?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was watching the prices on a 35 day cruise earlier this year, and the prices dropped substantially within 90 days of departure. At first only a few travel agents offered the lower prices, but the prices on Oceania's website were later also reduced. On my upcoming cruise, the prices never dropped, and the cruise now appears to be sold out.

Don't know your itinerary but if it's the Caribbean it is one of the few areas where it is not a good idea to book early. There is so much competition in that space that fares tend to drop dramatically.

A good travel agent should be able to help you get "something."

The cruise is Capetown to Singapore Feb 15 2015. One segment of the world cruise on Insignia.

Is the cabin category you booked still available. If so you can try to push O to refare it. But being booked through Australia they may have other rules.

It does somehow leave a bitter taste when this happens to you. And inexplicable that there should be one rule for USA Clients and another less favourable for the rest.

Brian

I agree. Though some posters on here don't like to acknowledge this.

Recently some UK posters have gotten better deals

Free beverage packages along with lower prices & OBC that the North Americans do not get

It works both ways sometimes

A moot point ...things will be changing now under the new management ;)

Edited by LHT28

I agree. Though some posters on here don't like to acknowledge this.

Agree also. Some "luxury" cruise lines have protection in that if they lower prices every gets the lower price.

Edited by PaulMCO

Thank you all for your help. This is our first Oceania cruise and we feel ripped off to the tune of $10,000! I would really love to hear from someone who may have had a similar experience - how did you and your TA handle it. Can we cancel and rebook at the new fare? Still over 80 days out from cruise start. The fare may even drop further!

Oceania effectively doubled the capacity this year for this cruise… they originally had just the Nautica Cruising this route now they have added Insignia also. By The Way, this is a great cruise… we took it earlier this year.

Thank you all for your help. This is our first Oceania cruise and we feel ripped off to the tune of $10,000! I would really love to hear from someone who may have had a similar experience - how did you and your TA handle it. Can we cancel and rebook at the new fare? Still over 80 days out from cruise start. The fare may even drop further!

I think if you book through an Australian agent you may lose your deposit

But you are also within the dates after final payment so the cancellation fees would kick in as well check the cancellation penalties

I would talk to your TA & see if they can work something out

After final payment some cruises will be reduced fares to fill the cabins..it is the way the game is played, sorry to say

Now if it was a yr away & the prices were reduced I would be mad as well

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

I think if you book through an Australian agent you may lose your deposit

But you are also within the dates after final payment so the cancellation fees would kick in as well check the cancellation penalties

I would talk to your TA & see if they can work something out

After final payment some cruises will be reduced fares to fill the cabins..it is the way the game is played, sorry to say

Now if it was a yr away & the prices were reduced I would be mad as well

Lyn

If it was as year away -- you could get O to refare it.

I had similar issue at 90 days. O offered free additional perks. They stated that if my cabin type was still open they would give me these changes -- however it was not.

Does the OP feel ripped off and get upset when the airlines move their fares up or down, for future flights, on a regular basis? Does the OP get mad at Kroger when they drop the price of turkeys the day before Thanksgiving when they had bought theirs on the Sunday before?

I pick a cruise that I want to sail. I pick the cabin that I want to do the cruise in. If I'm satisfied with price of the cruise, the itinerary, and the cabin that I choose then I pay my money and go. I don't get huffy if someone waits and finds a better deal later on. In my experience, waiting for a better deal to break can often leave one sitting a home while the ship sails. If one is not happy with the price they must pay for a cruise, then stay at home and pay nothing. That way you don't have to worry about what the other person paid!:rolleyes:

We sailed on the insignia in June.

We travelled with friends from London and South Africa. We live in USA

The price quoted by Oceania in the USA was double the price our friends from London and South Africa. We were not happy at all. Oceania would not help us..it was $6000.00 difference for the identical cabin. We eventually let our friends from London book 2 cabins. I would not have enjoyed the cruise if we had over paid by so much.

They got the same free internet and free gratuities as offered in USA

Really not fair

We sailed on the insignia in June.

We travelled with friends from London and South Africa. We live in USA

The price quoted by Oceania in the USA was double the price our friends from London and South Africa. We were not happy at all. Oceania would not help us..it was $6000.00 difference for the identical cabin. We eventually let our friends from London book 2 cabins. I would not have enjoyed the cruise if we had over paid by so much.

They got the same free internet and free gratuities as offered in USA

Really not fair

If you want fair, don't travel.....was there EVER a time when you could count on having paid the same fare as the person sitting next to you on an airplane? -even if he lived across the street from you?

Edited by StanandJim

If you want fair, don't travel.....was there EVER a time when you could count on having paid the same fare as the person sitting next to you on an airplane? -even if he lived across the street from you?

HORRIBLE analogy!! True people pay varying amounts for their airline seats but, at any specific time the prices are the same for people no matter where in the world they live.

In this case the price at the same exact time is significantly less expensive if bought in one country compared to another. If it were a commodity or or perhaps subject to taxes, duties, etc. that might make a difference but, in this case possibly VAT in Europe would make the price more rather than less.

Something certainly doesn't make a whole lot of sense and your horrible analogy certainly doesn't help.

We had that happen to us after the final payment was made. Our TA got us a superior upgrade and an increase for onboard credit. Talk to your TA and see what they can get for you.

Thank you. She is on the job for us. Will let you know the outcome. It's a big difference of $10,000 less for the same cabin - one third less than we paid. There is a large availability of unbooked cabins in most categories - the fare may reduce further with still more than 2 1/2 months to go.

Hello, No Fuss Travel,

We are interested in knowing if you have space for 2 on any of your tours in Japan or China. We would rather not book through Oceania. You may contact me :tonylopatka@bellsouth.net. Many thanks.

Hello, No Fuss Travel,

We are interested in knowing if you have space for 2 on any of your tours in Japan or China. We would rather not book through Oceania. You may contact me :tonylopatka@bellsouth.net. Many thanks.

Tony

I have sent you an email. I included all the cities for China, but we are going to do our touring with the exception of Nara (and yes I broke down and am paying Oceania prices for this one) on our own. Japan is fairly easy to get around and the tour guides that I did contact charged more than Oceania did.

Joan