Live- Whisper Down the Amazon (4432)

fudge

Day 17 Thursday

That’s it folks, all over bar the shouting. We have met some wonderful people, made some new friends, seen some fabulous places and would without a doubt recommend this cruise to anyone.

We have just completed the statutory SS questionnaire, most of our feedback was very positive indeed, one or two minor hiccups which you would expect on any holiday/cruise experience.

Overall we do love SS, are we tempted to “jump ship” to another cruise line? We are very tempted, only to compare prices/quality Etc.

Happy cruising to those who have booked a future cruise, you never know we may cross each other’s paths? I am sorely tempted to book a future cruise while on board; we have of course booked the “floating deposit” for a future cruise.

The cases are almost packed; we vacate the suite by 08.00hrs, slung off the ship by 10.00hrs, off to the Hilton Hotel to spend the day before our Virgin Airlines flight at 18.30hrs. Of course we may be there earlier to take advantage of the business class lounge.

Good bye and bon voyage...

Your good friends Mr. and Mrs. Fudge.

Day 17 Thursday. That’s it folks, all over bar the shouting. We have met some wonderful people, made some new friends, seen some fabulous places and would without a doubt recommend this cruise to anyone. We have just completed the statutory SS questionnaire, most of our feedback was very positive indeed, one or two minor hiccups which you would expect on any holiday/cruise experience. Overall we do love SS, are we tempted to “jump ship” to another cruise line? We are very tempted, only to compare prices/quality Etc. Good bye and bon voyage... Your good friends Mr. and Mrs. Fudge.

Appreciate so much your great reporting and details on your fun port stops, life on the ship, etc. All very helpful to us as it is just 45 days till we board the Silver Cloud to visit all of these special and unique locations.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting is now at 44,114 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Thanks for the comprehensive reports on your Amazon cruise Mr & Mrs Fudge,it has brought back many great memories of our 2013 Amazon experience on the Cloud.It is a unique part of the world to visit and as the river is the sole method of transport it is ideal for cruising.

Good bye and bon voyage...

Your good friends Mr. and Mrs. Fudge.

Welcome back to "Europe" Fudge and Fudgess, hope you have a few days of peace and rest after your lovely adventure and long travel back. Thanks again for your entertaining posts.

Now about those kebabs .......:D

Jeff

Jeff,

Thank you once more for your kind words.

We arrived safely in Barbados at 05.30, our Captain did say four cruise ships were due in port and he wanted to be first in, we were.

The Cruise director was barking out his orders early telling everyone what time they leave the ship according to your colour coded bags, of course once your luggage is in the terminal you can leave at anytime.

We left with our Swedish friends to share a taxi to the Hilton Hotel for the day.

Here is the catch: Because they know we left the ship the taxi driver wanted 40US dollars for the 10 minute taxi ride, if you move down the taxi rank you can negotiate a cheaper price, we found one for 20US Dollars (40 local currency)

We are now in the Hilton until later today: For those thinking of staying for Days not just one night, we have had very poor feedback from those who had a pre cruise stay, apparently the service and food is poor, the room we stayed was OK.

Report from the cheapskates who wouldn't pay for the Internet! We had a great time and concur with much of the above. Safe home to all shipmates.

fudge: We are now in the Hilton until later today: For those thinking of staying for Days not just one night' date=' we have had [b']very poor feedback [/b]from those who had a pre cruise stay, apparently the service and food is poor, the room we stayed was OK.

Wonderful to hear the "great time" report from Tothesunset. Don't be shy!! Tell us a few of your details, now that the Internet access is easier and cheaper, for what you liked most in a few of the ports, on the ship, special tips for those doing this cruise upcoming, etc.

Sorry to hear from fudge that the Barbados Hilton was only so-so. Given their high pricing, we are glad we went another direction from our one-night booking there before getting on the Silver Cloud on Jan. 25.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 165,906 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Room service, bbq, galley lunch ..... time to start taking flasks of soup and Harrods Hampers .....

:D

Fudge-The matter of having to go to the bar by the pool 4 times to get your drinks had me scratching my head and rubbing my eyes in disbelief....were the waiters hiding or just ignoring you?

With regards to BBQ on deck- they need to keep meats cool before cooking. That's an insurmountable obstacle (even though they have apparently done it many times before) which may have to wait for the invention of "ice" and things that will contain it-let's call them "coolers." Or equip each ship with a domestic-sized refrigerator, put it on a dolly, into an elevator and up to the pool where it can be plugged in and filled with steaks, hotdogs etc. Voila BBQ!

Where there's a will, there's a way....

I don't sail Silversea but I read the reviews and must say your report was a great read.

I can't wait (but I will) for the day when you can post your photos within your review!

Thanks for taking us all up the Amazon!

Norris

Fudge-The matter of having to go to the bar by the pool 4 times to get your drinks had me scratching my head and rubbing my eyes in disbelief....were the waiters hiding or just ignoring you?

With regards to BBQ on deck- they need to keep meats cool before cooking. That's an insurmountable obstacle (even though they have apparently done it many times before) which may have to wait for the invention of "ice" and things that will contain it-let's call them "coolers." Or equip each ship with a domestic-sized refrigerator, put it on a dolly, into an elevator and up to the pool where it can be plugged in and filled with steaks, hotdogs etc. Voila BBQ!

Where there's a will, there's a way....

I don't sail Silversea but I read the reviews and must say your report was a great read.

I can't wait (but I will) for the day when you can post your photos within your review!

Thanks for taking us all up the Amazon!

Norris

Hi Norris,

It's just more excuses for some misplaced cost-cutting. There are fully equipped but smaller deck kitchens and deck bars with ample refrigeration and food is offered at other times. There is no obstacle whatsoever to having BBQ's.

I'll weigh in on deck bbqs.

Bugs would be an issue for me.

We recently moved from a lovely home in the country with a balcony off the kitchen where we'd eat outside on occasion, well protected by the netting we put over the whole balcony shade structure. We'd used this 4 - 5 times per year. Despite being right off the kitchen, it was a bother carrying the food out, zipping and unzipping the netting, remembering to shut the door inside, etc. etc.

We recently moved to the city, the 22nd floor and ate out almost every day the weather was fine. Again, the balcony is right off the kitchen, but there are no bugs this high up so 1) no zipping/unzipping, 2) no balancing trays while wrestling with doors, and 3) no worrying about crawling bugs (earwigs, ants) working their way into my meal.

On open sea, on a warm evening, with no bugs, the deck bbq can be fun but crowded and noisy. Navigating around the crowded tables reminds me of being at a church supper or on the Spirit. I don't look forward to the bbqs but I don't abhor them either - my mood depends on how much I'll enjoy them. Whereas a good table in the dining room can turn a foul mood around as the positive energy from the others brings me back to sociable.

But anywhere where bugs might add to the issues and I'd vote no to the bbq by eating in my cabin.

On my last several cruises, 'weather' (which failed to materialize) has canceled the bbq and I've been just as pleased. I suspect if the majority share my opinion, then that is why they aren't as regular an attraction as they used to be.

In answer to comments earlier:

I mentioned the service (or lack of) on our first day on the pool deck. To be honest the service improved slightly but not much. I can only report on this cruise comparing with other SS cruises we have sailed on.

This is my take on it. The staff were still attentative, but the subtle difference is that if you have already had a drink, they will discreetly take away your empty glass but rarely ask if you require a refill. If you are on the very top deck you will almost certainly have to visit the bar yourself, not that that is a big deal.

Of course there is nothing to stop you asking for a drink and they will of course oblige. Another small point, on previous cruises a number of staff did address you by name, on this cruise I could count on one hand who knew our name, again, no big deal. Even the head bar person never knew our name despite my numerous visits to the bar.

One last note, during our meals in the MDR on more than one occasion there were guests sat with empty glasses, we would call our waiter to have them replenished.

Please note: These are minor but subtle differences we noticed but did not detract from our real enjoyment of the cruise, even I can go without a drink for a while although Mrs. Fudge would say different. :)

To those about to sail have a great time, let us hear how you enjoy your cruise.

In the next few days this thread will become an official Whisper review with pictures, using the format described in this thread, already looking to book another cruise for next year. :D

In answer to comments earlier:

I mentioned the service (or lack of) on our first day on the pool deck. To be honest the service improved slightly but not much. I can only report on this cruise comparing with other SS cruises we have sailed on.

This is my take on it. The staff were still attentative, but the subtle difference is that if you have already had a drink, they will discreetly take away your empty glass but rarely ask if you require a refill. If you are on the very top deck you will almost certainly have to visit the bar yourself, not that that is a big deal.

Of course there is nothing to stop you asking for a drink and they will of course oblige. Another small point, on previous cruises a number of staff did address you by name, on this cruise I could count on one hand who knew our name, again, no big deal. Even the head bar person never knew our name despite my numerous visits to the bar.

One last note, during our meals in the MDR on more than one occasion there were guests sat with empty glasses, we would call our waiter to have them replenished.

Please note: These are minor but subtle differences we noticed but did not detract from our real enjoyment of the cruise, even I can go without a drink for a while although Mrs. Fudge would say different. :)

To those about to sail have a great time, let us hear how you enjoy your cruise.

In the next few days this thread will become an official Whisper review with pictures, using the format described in this thread, already looking to book another cruise for next year. :D

Welcome back fudgekins.

Your posts have genuinely been interesting and informative. Really so. You are very balanced in the ups and downs.

SS will be for some continue and possible always will be all that they dream of and continue to enjoy, and for others an upmarket ferry service between places they would like to see with basic and minimally but expensive acceptable levels of services if that is what they choose. We're all different. Different experiences, different expectations, different levels of what makes you happy and different levels of what might make you hacked off. Nothing wrong with that.

Thanks again.

Are you booking your flight to Singapore so I can buy you and Fudgess some satay? As long as you drink a lot you'll find I am acceptable company. :rolleyes:

Jeff

Fudge,

Enjoyed the cruise. Going in we knew that the excursions were somewhat limited, so no big deal. We thought the ship was in overall great shape with some stained carpet in the public areas. I must add that Duct Tape told me last year that the mosquito threat was overblown. We saw a few, but I did not get to unpack my flyswatter!

• 2 weeks later...
I must add that Duct Tape told me last year that the mosquito threat was overblown. We saw a few, but I did not get to unpack my flyswatter!

Appreciate this mention on the question of mosquitos and the threats for safety, yellow fever, etc. Not sure if Mr. Fudge spoke to this question earlier during his excellent reports. Any added reactions, insights from others, including from Tothesunset? Most seem to say that the acid nature of the Amazon River waters keep them away. The bigger danger/protection need seems to be when going deeper into the rain forest and jungle areas of the Amazon region. Right or wrong? Added comments/experiences?

Enjoyed a Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 89,913 views for this posting.