Recommended Trip Insurance Companies

angie16451

I used to use Tripinsurance.com and purchase the cheapest policy I could find. However, on one cruise I got sick and had to visit the doctor. When I returned home, I submitted my receipts for payment and they were denied as I couldn't prove the ship was in international water!

Since that time I have been much more careful in what I purchase and making sure I understand exactly what I purchase. I often have questions I need answered before I pick my policy. I now use:

http://tripinsurancestore.com/

I highly recommend them! I called them last night before purchasing my insurance on-line to have my questions answered prior to purchasing the policy. They are very knowledgeable and helpful. The prices are great as well. They will also tell you which insurance company will front payment to the hospital if required!

In the past we have used the cruiseline for insurance. Never seemed to find the time to do the research on all the plans. But for our upcoming cruise, we just used TripInsuranceStore for the first time. Great customer service. We will use them in the future.

There are so many options, how do you choose! Can you recommend a company through this site? Maybe a specific plan you have gone with? Thank you for everyones help!

Personally I always go with Travelgard Gold.

However, those options that confuse you, are the very reason why there are different policies out the.

99.99% of the time people complain about a travel insurance policy is because the policy wasn't designed to cover their particular loss and/or claim.

For example

You miss your connection because of a 4 hour flight delay.

Problem is that your particular policy does not cover unless the flight delay was 6 hours or longer.

Those little things are important.

Just something to know that I didn't know when I first started.

Travel insurance is all reimbursement based. In other words, you have a medical/dental/emergency flight needs,,,,, you pay out of pocket.

Then,,,,you file for reimbursement.

Edited by klfrodo

You can also check out InsureMyTrip.com to pull up coverage and companies. You can also call and get help from a human.

This is who I bought from. I normally don't do insurance but I had an expensive trip recently. Since I needed air fair and hotel before and after I bought it. Explained lots about the coverage and what it did and did not cover.

Good info klfrodo!

Edited by tbbtravels

There are so many options, how do you choose! Can you recommend a company through this site? Maybe a specific plan you have gone with? Thank you for everyones help!

We have used Travel Guard Gold insurance....they are a "primary" coverage policy which we find important and their pricing is very competitive. We are in the midst of dealing with them for our upcoming cruise(s) as my DH lost his job.....seems like his entire trip cost (policy coverage amount) will be covered (air, hotels, cruise fare, paid excursions etc) which is a BIG relief at this time.

Just to clarify, the difference between "primary" and "secondary" coverage is that when "primary" the travel insurance pays first...."secondary" coverage means you have to go through you own personal insurance from home first (gobs of extra paperwork) and then the secondary travel insurance may or may not kick in. Lots of extra work and paperwork for secondary coverage when and if you need to use it! But in any event, travel insurance is a Godsend when you need it!

Hello Everyone! Any recommendations on trip insurance companies?

Lots of people use insure my trip dot com. The important thing is to match an insurance product to your specific needs. What someone else purchases may not be the best option for you. Click on the "learn" option at the top of the page at insure my trip dot com and you can learn the basics. They also have pretty good reviews under the "products" tab you can read. Lots of tips there too.

Square Mouth dot com lets you compare policies from the different companies. I highly recommend purchasing a policy with PRIMARY medical coverage to reduce your hassle factor. On 3 separate occasions Travel Guard paid on our claims in a timely manner and with a minimal amount of hassle. Once for cancelling for a ill family member, second for medical bills incurred due to injury on a shore excursion and last time for missed flights connections due to late ship arrival back into Galveston.

However, those options that confuse you, are the very reason why there are different policies out the.

99.99% of the time people complain about a travel insurance policy is because the policy wasn't designed to cover their particular loss and/or claim.

For example

Problem is that your particular policy does not cover unless the flight delay was 6 hours or longer.

Travel insurance is all reimbursement based. In other words, you have a medical/dental/emergency flight needs,,,,, you pay out of pocket.

Good points...thanks for pointing them out.

I use Allianz exclusively. A couple of years back I had to cancel 3 cruises because of a health condition and they paid everything I claimed within 2 weeks. They used to be called Access America. A travel agent friend of mine recommended them because of years of good experience with them.

I can recommend Allianz. I was on a solo land trip in Madagascar (April 2014). I paid $78USD for the most basic policy. My tour guide (w me in the car), hit a truck head-on on the way to the airport for my departure. Fortunately, no one was injured, but I faced missing all my flights back to the USA. I phoned (which would have been 0230am at their office), & they set-up everything for me (hotel layover, flight change, etc). I did make my original flight & didn't fully use their services, but I was impressed w the service & what I would have gotten for $78. I'm going on a Princess cruise to Papua New Guinea next year & they'll be the first I investigate for my travel insurance.

I also recommend TripInsuranceStore.com - have used them for all our cruises. Great group of people that know their business. I always call and buy over the phone. After getting the information from you, they look at several insurance companies and recommend the one that best fits your needs.

For our upcoming trip I used insure my trip and purchased insurance with Travelinsured. The coverage is far superior to what CCL offered at less money. I wanted something with cancel for any reason coverage and a not too long missed flight wait (our trip is in February).

For example

Can I ask you a question? Im looking at travel guard gold right now. It has 100% trip cost/trip cancellation is on the the coverage list. But I can add cancel for any reason for another $30. But thats only "up to 50%" reimbursement. But what the heck is the difference?

Trip Insurance Store narrows it down to just a half dozen or so policies; and the owner freely admits this is so he can sleep at night. He does not want to sell the cheapest policy if it won't meet his client's needs when it comes time to pay on a claim. The policies you find there are the ones that are most reliable and best to work with when it comes time to USE the insurance. And the staff there will gladly talk to you to determine which of their chosen few policies best fits your needs and expectations.

Can I ask you a question? Im looking at travel guard gold right now. It has 100% trip cost/trip cancellation is on the the coverage list. But I can add cancel for any reason for another $30. But thats only "up to 50%" reimbursement. But what the heck is the difference?

The cancel for any reason allows you to cancel for reasons not otherwise covered by trip cancellation (read the policy details). With that rider, you can cancel if you just don't want to make the trip or some other conflict not otherwise covered comes up.

The cancel for any reason allows you to cancel for reasons not otherwise covered by trip cancellation (read the policy details). With that rider, you can cancel if you just don't want to make the trip or some other conflict not otherwise covered comes up.

I was trying to find that. I just couldn't find it.

We are going on a 6 night kidless cruise. I just wanted the cancel for any reason in case my mom backs out (which I think is very unlikely) but I don't like the idea that I only get UP TO 50% back.... :-/