Hitting New Status During a Cruise

Apologies ahead of time if this has been answered but I could not find the answer when searching. I will hit 30 C&A points during my upcoming Liberty Cruise. Do I get platinum benefits throughout the cruise or not until my next sailing? I ask because Carnival gives you benefits the entire cruise if you hit the milestone at some point during your sailing. Thanks in advance.

Apologies ahead of time if this has been answered but I could not find the answer when searching. I will hit 30 C&A points during my upcoming Liberty Cruise. Do I get platinum benefits throughout the cruise or not until my next sailing? I ask because Carnival gives you benefits the entire cruise if you hit the milestone at some point during your sailing. Thanks in advance.

On Royal you don't reach your next level until the COMPLETION of the cruise, even if you reach the designated number of nights, mid cruise.

Nice of Carnival to do that.

With RCI you do not get the points until you complete the cruise so you would not become platinum, or get the benefits, until your next cruise. You, however, could always have a chat with the loyalty ambassador and see if they might do something for you to bump you up for your upcoming cruise.

As much as I dislike the "It is what it is" comment.....Royal Caribbean was justified in doing it on your next cruise when they were awarding 1 credit for each cruise. Your status would then change for the next sailing.

But now that they have changed to the # of nights to award cruise credits, your next level really should be honored when you have reached that required number. IMO. :D

As much as I dislike the "It is what it is" comment.....Royal Caribbean was justified in doing it on your next cruise when they were awarding 1 credit for each cruise. Your status would then change for the next sailing.

But now that they have changed to the # of nights to award cruise credits, your next level really should be honored when you have reached that required number. IMO. :D

I don't expect anything to change. Every cruise line doesn't have to do things the same.

That's a very good point. If your status is based on days at sea, then it would make sense that you would be upgraded in status when you pass that particular day. Should be easily trackable by the C & A person onboard, and imagine the "pomp and circumstance" with being able to invite a person to the Diamond Lounge and announce their elevation in status.

Would be a nice ceremony.

Unless things have changed since spring, RCL does not change your status until the end of the cruise. On a B2B on the Oasis in April/May we Had to informed the Loyalty rep of our change in status at the beginning of the 2nd leg (even though change occurred during the 1st leg.) With that ...a small sticker was attached to our sea pass cards designating us as Diamond. If we hadn't spoken up we would not have been recognized as such. When asked why... Corp office has to catch up.

That's a very good point. If your status is based on days at sea, then it would make sense that you would be upgraded in status when you pass that particular day. Should be easily trackable by the C & A person onboard, and imagine the "pomp and circumstance" with being able to invite a person to the Diamond Lounge and announce their elevation in status.

Would be a nice ceremony.

They have printed sheets with everyone's cruise points so easily traceable.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=340&faqSubjectName=Crown+%26+Anchor+Society&faqId=4719

It is in the Q&A section on the website. I have heard anecdotally, several times, that when asked the loyalty staff are quite short in their replies that it is not how it works. They seem to be on board for the main purpose of taking bookings, and selling more cruises, and talking about more cruises, and drumming up interest in more cruises. They are not in the points allocation section.

Our experience personally is that they have a very slow internet connection, just like the rest of us on board. (we took our own printed deck plan when we last wanted to book a future cruise). They don't have time to be running you through the options like a travel agent, and will give you an old copy of the cruise planner book so you can do your own research.

It would be more likely that they would be interested in talking about a diamond that may be reaching diamond plus, or a plus that may be reaching pinnacle. Gold to platinum, I would be very surprised if they would take the time to change the standard terms and conditions.

It is often spoken of on cruise critic to pester the staff on the phones or on board to change the rules. I am not sure why.

Edited by goodycruising

It isn't a matter of being 'justified' in your opinion or not....this is the way their program works. They are not another cruise line, if someone prefers the way another cruise line handles their frequent cruiser program, then they should cruise on it.

When people come into my store and want us to use the policy of another corporation and I explain to them that what they want 'is not our policy' they tell me to do what they want anyway for 'good customer service'. It doesn't work that way....every company has there own policies.

Future balcony discounts aside, the difference between gold and platinum isn't that big of a deal (unless you really like robes, and the top tier event may have passed anyway by the day you "turn").

Now emerald to diamond (or diamond plus) is another thing, but even then I'd rather have better onboard booking perks (or something similar) than immediate tier benefits.

Or just do what I did, turn Diamond on the last night of your cruise (will happen in March for me) then it is a non issue.

Carnival Platinum benefits offer some nice perks, but the most popular ones (priority boarding, tender tickets, disembark) don't really cost them anything so it is less of a big deal for them to give them out immediately.

We will become diamond next cruise (2015).

And I know we will get status (next level) recognition on the following cruise.

Which of course will be in 2016

Let me see.

It will be our 25th anniversary.....................

Nice way to celebrate.

(Now we have to book a cruise for 2016)

Sea Ya

Agreed. It would be nice if they recognized it when it happened instead of making you wait until the next cruise.

When people come into my store and want us to use the policy of another corporation and I explain to them that what they want 'is not our policy' they tell me to do what they want anyway for 'good customer service'. It doesn't work that way....every company has there own policies.

I wouldn't shop at your store either, Paulette. :rolleyes:

It isn't a matter of being 'justified' in your opinion or not....this is the way their program works. They are not another cruise line, if someone prefers the way another cruise line handles their frequent cruiser program, then they should cruise on it.

I don't think you really need to get defensive about this. I understand you are "loyal to royal" and hate when people question them, but come on. It was a simple question. I used Carnival as a comparison. I don't think it is unrealistic to ask if RCI matches a competitor (which is common in many industries) and I don't think it is inappropriate for people to have the opinion that RCI acknowledge someone obtain a loyalty status during a voyage.

I don't think you really need to get defensive about this. I understand you are "loyal to royal" and hate when people question them, but come on. It was a simple question. I used Carnival as a comparison. I don't think it is unrealistic to ask if RCI matches a competitor (which is common in many industries) and I don't think it is inappropriate for people to have the opinion that RCI acknowledge someone obtain a loyalty status during a voyage.

I think it's extremely unrealistic for you to expect a company to conform around another companies loyalty program just because your unhappy. There are ZERO major corporations that would do so. They will all say "that is not OUR policy"

We were in the same boat as the OP, so to speak, and had enough cruise points for Platinum as of day 1 of a cruise a couple of years ago. We booked a future cruise that day and asked the LA about moving up a tier. She was kind enough to put Platinum stickers on our cards and see that we were invited to the top tier event. Of course, we didn't get any retroactive discounts, and we didn't ask for such. We found it very nice, and it didn't cost them much. On our most recent cruise, we crossed the threshold for Diamond, but didn't bother asking about it. I suspect that because of the greater benefits, i.e., diamond lounge, we would have been turned down. And that's not how the program works. We'll enjoy it on our next cruise.

I think it's extremely unrealistic for you to expect a company to conform around another companies loyalty program just because your unhappy. There are ZERO major corporations that would do so. They will all say "that is not OUR policy"

If you read my original post, I never stated that I expected it. I simply asked if RCI did this similar to other cruise lines. Other people stated that they thought it would be nice if it was acknowledged, which I agree with, but understand if a company does not choose to do so.

I am loyal to royal, but I don't believe they are right in everything they do. I have taken those issues up the corporate ladder through channels that are appropriate. In the end however, expecting them to change/alter their policies to that of another cruise line for 'one cruiser' when that situation occurs many times on every cruise, is expecting the wrong outcome. Then you the cruiser expecting the 'special treatment' gets angry, and misinterprets the employee following company policy as 'poor customer service' -- when it wasn't.

People come into the retail corporation I work for because of the incredible prices they have; we are not one of the high end major retailers who charge 70% more for the same merchandise. People know our policies, they are around the store and will be explained by a knowledgeable associate any time. But our policies are our policies, not those of the higher priced stores. Everyone knows why they are buying that high prices handbag in our store. And they keep coming back.

Same with Royal....I cruise on Royal, because we have always had a terrific time -- that is what I expect from a vacation....the other issues (and they are small) are there. Very little can put a damper on my cruises -- what usually does, are fellow cruisers who are rude and inconsiderate.

With RCI you do not get the points until you complete the cruise so you would not become platinum, or get the benefits, until your next cruise. You, however, could always have a chat with the loyalty ambassador and see if they might do something for you to bump you up for your upcoming cruise.

I've heard conflicting reports on the success of this, and that is probably no surprise to anyone. I may give it a try in about 140 days. I will hit the 80 points on day 2 of my upcoming Freedom cruise which is a sea day on the way to Labadee. That is the day I plan on booking my 2016 Oasis cruise. I may see if I can beg my way into the Diamond Lounge, but will probably have to wait to Oasis.

I've heard conflicting reports on the success of this, and that is probably no surprise to anyone. I may give it a try in about 140 days. I will hit the 80 points on day 2 of my upcoming Freedom cruise which is a sea day on the way to Labadee. That is the day I plan on booking my 2016 Oasis cruise. I may see if I can beg my way into the Diamond Lounge, but will probably have to wait to Oasis.

We will turn Diamond on Day 5 on our 2015 Halloween cruise, and we intend to visit the LA to see if he will place a sticker on our sea passes to enjoy the DL for the last 2 days.:rolleyes: Would really like to hear how your request turns out! We also have a B2B booked in March, 2016 and am wondering if they will give us the increased balcony discount for that cruise since it's already booked. Anyone?:confused: