Mediterranean weather in October

Europeantraveler1

To all seasoned cruisers: my hubby and I have booked an October 6-19 HAL cruise beginning in Venice. I assumed October weather would be similar to mid-west October weather but after reading up on the Mediterranean weather patterns, find that October can be rainy. If any of you have cruised (Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Naples, Rome, Marseilles, Barcelona, etc...) during the month of October, I'd appreciate any info. you could share. Many thanks!!

I think that your timing is perfect. We have been in the Med during Sept/Oct for the past three years. Weather is usually very good in early-mid October. It is, along with springtime, our favourite time to go.

Ā 

We were in Malta and Sicily from mid Sept to the end of October this year. We were on the beach and swimming for a few days around Oct. 20.

Ā 

We boarded a cruise in Rome on Oct. 29 and had good weather for eight days through to Barcelona on Nov. 6. We had one morning of rain...BUT we just missed some very heavy showers by a matter of hours.

Thank you, iancal! I feel very relieved after reading your post! I was invisioning a soggy cruise! We have cruised before but it's been many years ago so thought we'd try a different cruise line altogether (having cruised on Princess three times and Norwegian once) and a little later in the year. Also, I traveled to many European countries with my high school students (so much fun!) and more recently I arranged a winter break vacation trip to Sicily ( Taromina was our base city) for just my husband and myself followed by another trip the following winter to Florence, Assisi, and then Rome. I'm an addicted European traveler and am SO looking forward to our cruise next October!! Thanks again for your comments!!

I just got off the Noordam a month ago after being on for 37 nights doing a b2b in the Med, leaving 27 September and then continuing on for the TA. Until we reached the Azores, we hadn't experienced rain, except for a quick thunderstorm late one afternoon as we were returning to the ship in Livorno. I wore short sleeve tops and either shorts and capris every day.

Just to confirm what you have already been told.....

We did a Med cruise Oct 2009 and the weather was glorious! I would estimate the daytime temps were betwen 23-27c, and I think it was hotter than that when we trecked up to the Accropolis in Athens.

We took an umberella with us each day - used it for shade.

I think you have picked the perfect time of year for your cruise, you will love it.

Cheers, h.

Please please please remember that weather is weather and as we all know weather patterns continually change.

Ā 

Let me begin by saying that I love sailing the Med in April into May and in September into October. It is less crowded than in the summer and you don't have the hot and humid weather to deal with.

Ā 

Precisely what your weather will be like is anyone's guess and even though one person said the weather was dry or another one wet is just that. It varies. You might have rain in some of these places like Venice and Rome. You might not. It doesn't rain everyday but you could be there when there is some rain or you might luck out an be there when there is none. If there is you just use an umbrella or rain coat. Same for the weather. It could be very warm or just warm or even a little cool early in the morning in some of the places. I've been there in October in Venice for a back to back cruise and had three days there. First day I thought I was in Alaska. It was rainy and cold. Second day was cloudy but warmer. Third day was hot and sunny. You just don't know.

Ā 

Would I go in October? Absolutely. Can any of us guarantee the rain? Would I go? Yes.

Ā 

Enjoy.

Ā 

Keith

I agree with Keith. I've been on seven Med cruises, six of them in October or November. While the weather can be absolutely beautiful and warm to hot in the Southern Med, it can also be chilly and showery. Just be prepared with various layers (including a rain jacket and perhaps a light fleece to layer under it if needed) and you will be fine.

Ā 

As an example, the Med cruise I was just on started in mid-October through the end of the month. The first week was absolutely delightful: warm but not hot, no rain, smooth seas. The second week was cooler, showery with occasional downpours, and the seas were noticeably rougher (had to cancel two tender ports).

Ā 

Overall, though, it is a great time of year to be in the Mediterranean. I'd rather deal with the occasional rain than with the heat and crowds of summer.

We had rain on the day we went to Giverny. The rain stopped just in time for us to photograph Monet's gardens - which made the photos AMAZING! Honestly, if it rains, the overcast sky offers some of the best possible conditions for taking photos. The colors will be so vibrant! We had a cool day in Brugge on the same cruise - just wore a lightweight jacket. As others have stated, bring umbrellas and light layers including something waterproof.

If you want to be absolutely certain (or as certain as you can be) then move the date up to the last week of September/first week of October).

Ā 

And you still won't be certain. I've been there last week of September when it has rained and also when it hasn't. You never know.

Ā 

Keith

Agreed. We were in Vienna/Budapest in mid Sept this year prior to flying south to Malta and warm weather. Rain and overcast. And it apparently rained all summer from what we were led to believe. Not at all what we anticipated.

Ā 

Felt sorry for the folks on river cruises -lots of rain and elevated water levels in some rivers translated into itinerary changes for a few cruises.

Edited by iancal

We were in Rome from this Oct. 29 to Nov. 4 before our trans-Atlantic - weather was sunny about 70 F every day, and remained good until reaching Portimao, Portugal on Nov. 8. The first rain we had was in Lisbon Nov. 9.

Ā 

This was our third Med to US T/A in recent years - all late October to early Novenber , and we've twice driven around Italy in October- we have always enjoyed largely good weather - better than September, when it can still be hot and humid.

Ā 

I can recall a couple of Navy deployments to the Med in the 60's - when October was best month - of course, rain can happen any time, but October is probably the best month.

You will have passed the autumn equinox around Sept 21st, and the daylight hours are shorter, so the temperatures are dropping, but usually it's still warm. Obviously, the further south you sail the warmer it will be, but the weather is beginning to get a little unsettled. There can be some storms, and often some rain.

We usually had a week's holiday in the Med over school half term, around the 3rd week in October, and the sea is cooling down, so for swimming it was always best to go to the southern isles or Tunisia.

Just got back from our middle to end of Oct trip. We had fine weather in Italy both before and after the cruise - didn't even need jackets.

Ā 

However the cruise through the Greek Isles in the middle was blustery, windy, and sometimes cool and rainy. Couldn't tender to Mykonos. Rained like a son of a gun in Kusadasi during the evening, and then was sunny and fair the next morning for Ephesus.

Ā 

This is the way I would sum it up. Weather was changeable. The start of the day was not like the weather in the middle of the day, or at the end of the day. Be prepared for anything. Expect a little of everything.

Ā 

The good thing about this time of year in the Med is that there is a lot of walking and climbing, even if you didn't expect it - Better to do that when you're not sweating and gasping. Also, far fewer people all over the place, so line-ups are shorter, the crush is less, and you might actually be able to get closer to some stuff. Wearing your rain/wind jacket.

Thanks to you all who took time to address my concerns about cruising in October! I'm sure we will experience a variety of weather conditions which will make for an interesting trip! Regardless of the weather I'm confident we will enjoy our cruise immensely! We are looking forward to our adventure!!šŸ˜Š. Next....hooking up with our "Roll Call" group!!

Please please please remember that weather is weather and as we all know weather patterns continually change.

Ā 

Let me begin by saying that I love sailing the Med in April into May and in September into October. It is less crowded than in the summer and you don't have the hot and humid weather to deal

Ā 

Good to know. Keeping these dates in mind in anticipation of a first Med cruise in October 2015 or May 2016.